Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2012, 02:44 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Ward Volunteer
Chassis: GMC 6000
Engine: 366 V8 (6.0 L)
Rated Cap: 71
My New Skoolie Lifestyle

Hello to all. This is my first post ( my second attempt after some computer issues) and this will serve as my Skoolie Conversion & Feedback Diary of sorts.

My wife and I just purchased a 91 Ward Volunteer, 71 passenger bus. GMC 6000 chassis. 366 gas motor. 96,000 miles. With a nearly full tank of gas, new battery (both thrown in for free with my negotiation skills) and $1500 later we have begun a new lifestyle. I've been lurking for the last week or more, getting information, researching and drooling over some of the other projects here. As they say, I'm giddy like a school child. We've all been there me thinks.

I've been busy here and there over the last few days tearing down the bus, taking some pictures and essentially getting everything slowly converted into a full time home for the wife, child and I. I wanted to introduce ourselves to everyone out there and get this new story of ours started. I had a nice post going... and then out if the blue everything simply froze up here on my end. So I will make this a lil' short until tomorrow after I get some zzz's. Not much of a cliff hanger, I know.

So until then... and before my computer gives me more probs.. I shall see ya'll soon with more. I have a child to make breakfast for in the morning, and I don't like to be cranky tired... so hello and good night.

Cheers,
Beau

Old 09-05-2012, 07:53 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: My New Skoolie Lifestyle

Welcome aboard and congrats on the bus..... You'll like it here. Lots of good info and friendly folks to help out... advice is free..
Old 09-05-2012, 09:24 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

and your bus cost less than scrap value...that is a good buy.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:50 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 87
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International s1700
Engine: 6.9 internatiional
Rated Cap: 65

welcome aboard
proconsul100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:56 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

Gee...we were just in Hamilton last week, hacking our lungs out. Nice ride, great price and excellent engine! Welcome....
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:05 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15

Hey Beau --- Welcome to the nuthouse! Good looking rig (and at a give-a-way price). Don't hesitate to ask questions. The good folks here have about 10,000 years of collective bus building wisdom & experience to draw on.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:09 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for the warm welcome! Yes.. here in the Bitterroot Valley, with the many forest fires in the area creating such thick smoke, the breathing and labor is worse than anything else. Weeks of smoke gets to a person after a while…

About the bus:
We purchased the bus from a transportation company in Missoula. We have seen several buses along the highway here and there, some on Craigslist and Ebay that could have worked out... but eventually we ran into a great deal we could not pass on. The company bought the bus when it was only 5 years old, and since then it has really only seen about 2 hours of highway time a few days a week. It was used as a shuttle bus to take folks to a local ski area. The bus is really in great shape. The engine runs smooth, and it is easy to tell they took care of it well. It was garaged as well. The maintenance manager (who I spoke with when looking at the bus) went over many details he did with each bus, showed me around a bit and was very helpful. He seriously loves his buses. They had five for sale, each $1500 OBO… and only three in running condition. One was a parts bus and another needed a brake job. We bought the only automatic available and it was also the choice bus for the drivers who worked there. Can't beat $1500 for something like this!

So, we bought the bus this last Friday, and it drove the 50 or so miles home to Hamilton very well. The steering has a lil’ play in it but that’s my only gripe about it. Otherwise this bus is completely awesome. We wanted a RE diesel, but we are happy with our choice regardless.

The day after bringing her home we started removing seats, and since then the tear down has gone on without any major problems. The seats were a breeze. I only snapped 5 rusted bolts out near the wheel well, and the majority of the 152 bolts were in fairly great shape. Seems everything bad is going to be located near those rear wheels where I snapped those 5 bolts.

My son being a big helper.

Shot with the seats and bus swept out, and the child bumpers and some of the aluminum removed.

I spent about two hours tearing the seats down further. Here is the pile of cleaned seats. I plan on reusing some of the foam and also recycling the metal.

Yesterday I removed the stop arm and warning lights. Took all of maybe 20 minutes. My wife and I may use the lights in the bunk bed for our son… not quite sure if that will happen yet but it sounds nifty for a growing young boy.

Today I got started on tearing out the flooring. The rubber matting came up easy enough, yet the plywood really was tough. It’s glued down very well. I'm using a short 1' pry bar, 2x4's, and lots of elbow grease to rip it up. Got three of the seven boards up before I called my dad and asked if I can borrow his circular saw. Figured it would make it even easier to get them out. The bus has a lip that the seats were bolted to under the windows, which keeps me from pulling the plywood out in one piece... so the saw is a necessity really. The reverse will be the same once I am putting in the new flooring.

I have some smallish, ugly rust spots near the wheel well, otherwise the steel floor looks great. I had to tear out the existing rear heater (not sure if I am going to reuse it or not). Many of the screws holding it and the cover for the hose were stripped out. I took my time getting that out. Got a little bit of radiator fluid on me, too. I am going to have to find a way to clamp those hoses off for now, that way I can work around them for the time being.

Something I have been wondering (and maybe someone can answer): Is it feasible to reuse the foam from the seats as insulation? I want to tear some of the windows out of the bus. Sheet metal will go outside to replace them, and then the holes will be insulated between that and the inside wall I am going to fabricate. I would prefer to use an appropriate insulation, although this idea crossed my mind to reuse the seat foam.

Other that that.. That is pretty much where I am left at. I have a lil’ bit to remove from the bus before I clean and paint the inside before fabricating the inside of our new Skoolie home!

Thanks again for the warm welcome everyone! I look forward to learning a lot more and meeting some new folks. I have a new addiction me thinks… this Skoolie thing is great!

Cheers,
Beau
Old 09-05-2012, 06:37 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Wow, you are making me tired....slow down. ;)

I think you are going to want that rear heater, and more! I Wouldnt use the seat foam for insulation. Pink board works great.

Keep at it!
Old 09-05-2012, 06:57 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Yeah, I am pretty sure I am going to keep that rear heater. It was nice getting it removed and out of the way for now. I nearly tripped a few times over it already. It will need to be moved anyhow and put back into a better arrangement depending on where everything will go. Should serve as some good heating for the rear of the bus.

As for the seat foam, I may be using it for new bench seats or just tossing it out. I have no quarrels tossing it, yet it's in good condition so I wanted to use it if I could.

As for the slowing down... my ADHD has me going 100 MPH all day... even online. I'll try to tone it down. ... maybe...
Old 09-05-2012, 07:18 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

We used 4 seat foams for each bunk. We then threw a memory foam topper over it all and everyone seems to be quite happy with it.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:19 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henukaw
Yeah, I am pretty sure I am going to keep that rear heater.... Should serve as some good heating for the rear of the bus....
Hydronic heat! That's what ours got used for.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:40 AM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Hydronic heat! That's what ours got used for.
Nice. I was considering that, too. I was thinking that it would work well to run lines in the floor of the bus even. I don't think I would use it as a heat source that often, but it would be nice to have it available when needed. Not quite sure exactly what will be done, but it's free and available so no need tossing it all out.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:14 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Here are some more pics of my work done thus far.

So far this is the extent of the rust on the floorboard of the bus. It looked far worse until I cleaned and swept it up a tad. Seems to be located primarily around the rear wheel well. I still have more plywood to pull up, so I am sure I am in for some more surprises as I go along.

Passenger side

Drivers side

Today I had to stop with the tear down for a while. Pffft… I jumped in my car today to make a drive to my dads to get some tools, and could not go anywhere as my alternator has failed. Yuck. So, I am switching gears and now going to need to spend some time on my Saturn before I can return to the bus. I hope to be back on track tomorrow. As for now… I am going to go spend some time playing with my son. It’ll give me a break from these vehicles.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:51 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Get hold of some of that phosphoric acid stuff that turns the rust back to iron. Then you can just rustoleum over it and not worry about it again.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:22 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

I agree, the rust you have is NOTHING compared to most and a bit of chipping followed by a product like "Rustmort" will have you done withthe rust. Good luck!
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:19 AM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Little by little…

Ripped the plywood out yesterday. The metal looks really good, despite needing a decent wash.

We are kinda broke for the time being, so the conversion progress is going slower than desired. I should be able to at least get more holes covered today where I removed the warning lights. Little things are easy enough to find doing it seems. I will probably look around for deals at the local thrift stores and Habitat For Humanity. Never know what may be found around town.

We also have ourselves a fire in the neighborhood, so I stayed inside mostly the last couple days. There was evacuations for a big portion of the area. I’m about 4-5 miles away, which is out of the immediate danger zone but close enough that the smoke was nasty to breath in and harsh on my eyes.

That’s about all for now… hopefully I can get the state to give me better information about getting this title and registration thing cleared up. Montana was supposed to be easy on the Skoolie life me thought… Bleh.

Cheers,
Beau
Old 09-12-2012, 10:30 AM   #17
Bus Crazy

Bummer, I heard about that yesterday. Seems you have it all there, we have nothing at all up here. Closest thing we have I think is Plains. Thankful for sure. Stay safe!
Old 09-19-2012, 01:31 AM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Update:

Things are going slowly, yet coming along nicely. It's nice to pace myself for the time being to get everything planned out well before I go to town with making this a home for the three of us. To add... the smoke is still lingering pretty bad here in the valley. I haven't seen the mountains for days, let alone anywhere further than a half mile away. It wrecks havoc on my eyes and breathing. So, I try to stay inside more than I really care to, which also keeps me away from working on the bus.

I've been able to some small things when I find time, usually while my son naps away during the early the afternoon. I picked up a small painted, cast-iron bathroom sink (I may or may not use it). I spent some time grinding down the little bit of floor rust to get that ready to be treated with Ospho at a later date. I don't want to grind the entire floor, but there is quite a bit of adhesive remaining that held the plywood down, as well as some paint, too. I assume that if I want to Ospho my entire floor that it needs to be removed as so it can treat all the steel. Bleh! I also cleaned up the rusty driver's seat and some other small spots here and there that I want to use the Ospho on.

Today I managed to clean the ceiling of glue and stains from children playing in the bus, and then primed most of the inside walls and ceiling for painting. I will give it a second coat tomorrow. That will leave me ready for painting come Monday or so. I am still debating on a color. I am thinking of going with a semi-gloss black, although I still have time to sleep on that. I just desire to get rid of the ugly dingy yellow that plagues me every time I enter the bus, and I have access to some cheap (but definitely good) paint. It's a good time to get it done before I build the interior.

Right now we also deciding how soon we want to leave before the snow hits. The wife and I are not at all interested in building the bus at the same time as dealing with winter, so we are looking at heading to southern Arizona for a few months. We also have six weeks left where we are staying... so moving is a necessity. At the moment we are living in a "transition home", as things fell through when we originally moved up here a few months ago. It was one reason for purchasing the bus to begin with. We have family all over Arizona and it seems a better place to work on this project of ours. Montana was a bit of a bust.

Anyhoo.... good day to all. See ya laters with some more of our Skoolie building experience.

Beau
Old 09-19-2012, 07:02 AM   #19
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.

Quote:
I am thinking of going with a semi-gloss black
I think that black would make it awfully dark inside, kind of like in a cave, even if you keep all of the windows. Also any finish other than gloss is harder
to clean.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:41 AM   #20
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Black shows all kinds of dirt. I have a black refrigerator (not as bad) and a black glass topped range. It is horrible to keep clean, It never looks clean except for the few minutes after I clean it, then it's covered in fine dust. Even water streaks show up and there is lots of hard water out here.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote