Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2016, 07:24 PM   #1

My Not Quite Short, Short Bus Conversion!

I've been looking to do a bus conversion for the longest time but never got around to actually pulling the trigger. That has all changed! I knew I wanted a short(er) bus, preferably with a high ceiling and I preferred the look of a dog nose.

I started my search and came across the typical 4-5 window buses but those were too short for my liking and the ceilings were really low. I'm not a tall person (5'9"), but I really wanted the extra headroom for insulation and just an overall roomier look.

I saw a few 6 window buses pop up on my local craigslist and I started making some calls. One of the salvage yards I called said they had just sold the 6 window bus but they had another for sale, it was a 7 window! I had not come across too many 7 windows so I went out to take a look at it. It had everything I wanted, including the holy grail of roofs! It sloped up after the driver seat, it measures 6'8" in the center!

2002 Thomas Freightliner
201,000 mi
28' long (20' behind driver's seat)
6'8" ceilings
7'9" wide interior

Cummins 5.9 ISB Turbo
Allison 2000 transmission.

I was a little bummed about the engine but I'm quite mechanically inclined and figured I can always swap it for something with more power later on. I love how easy it is to work on these engines and the dog nose makes everything incredibly accessible.

Here's some pictures of her:

aberrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 11:15 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Subbing to see how this goes.
Oregon's bus guy is offline   Reply With Quote