I started to peel back some of the rubber around a problem area I identified prior to purchase. I wanted to get an idea of how far it extends.
Water definitely got in here over the years and just ate it up. The sheet metal is pretty much gone in this area and I will definitely be breaking out the MIG as I envisioned.
I found some additional rust over behind the driver seat, I'm guessing it spread from the same area. Good thing I'm ripping up everything and laying fresh metal!
Time to break out the air compressor and kill these seats!
I got the first seat out, however it was not the way I envisioned it going. I assumed the nuts the seats were bolted into were spot welded to the floor so I could be able to just use my impact driver and make quick work of the removal. That is not the case, the nuts are just tightened on the backside of the floor requiring two people which I didn't have at the time. So out came the angle grinder and a cutoff wheel.
Second seat out, the cut off wheel cuts through the steel like butter it really wears the wheel down quickly.
Nine seats down, seven to go!
Found some more rust by the wheel wells on both sides. This metal will be coming up as well. From what I've seen on other threads these are pretty common areas for rust.
To be continued...