Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2009, 11:05 AM   #1

Year: 1987
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Chevy 60
Engine: 366
My second bus (first Skoolie) with an undetermined name...

I just brought my second bus home (first is a short bus that I converted to a snow cone truck). It is a 1987 Bluebird built on a Chevy 60 frame. I think the engine is a 366 and it has an Allison automatic transmission. The body has some rust and I do not know the condition of the floor yet. It has about 1.5" of foam padding on top that I haven't started tearing out. It came with a 6500W Onan Generator and two roof air units. I don't know the full condition of either just yet. I got it for really cheap so I figured worse case, I yank the generator and an air unit and put them in my short bus, sell the engine and transmission off, and scrap metal the rest. I should get more than I paid for it back.

YouTube video 1:
YouTube video 2:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0074.jpg   IMG_0075.jpg   IMG_0076.jpg  

ybjones72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 11:32 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Re: My second bus (first Skoolie) with an undetermined name...

Welcome!
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 12:21 PM   #3

Year: 1987
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Chevy 60
Engine: 366

The people that I bought it from used to take it around to pre-schools and kindergarten schools and they did gymnastics inside. That is why there are rings in the ceiling and padding on the floor. My kids think that they want to use the rings so instead of putting in bunk beds, they want to hang hammocks to sleep in.

The inside measurement from back to front "wall" is just shy of 27 feet. My initial thought was to strip and scrap this bus and buy a bigger one in better shape but I think that I will give this one a go - unless the floor ends up being trashed. However, I think it is OK from looking underneath.
ybjones72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 12:37 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas

I can't imagine sleeping in a hammock all the time, would drive me nuts but dang it sure would cut down on weight and bed space during the day.
Seeria is offline   Reply With Quote