Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2016, 12:33 PM   #21
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E Allison 3000
Rated Cap: 84 Kids/56 Adults
Well I talked to my teachers at school and the most likely problem is either a blown oil cooler, bad seals on my cylinder liners, or excessive pitting on the cylinder liners from too much idling.

I hope its the oil cooler and I can get it back up and running soon, although there will probably be some damage from overheating. If it was the seals or liners, I'm looking at doing a complete engine rebuild. If a rebuild is necessary I will be lifting the body off the bus, taking the engine out of the frame, and doing an insane amount of rust repair on the whole thing. Some of you may think that's crazy and I should just get a new bus or engine, but like I said before, I'm in school to be a diesel mechanic and this could be the best learning experience possible. I know I've been promising pictures and I will deliver, especially if I get into a rebuild and pulling the body.

I'll let you all know whats up as soon as I know.

Old 06-02-2016, 03:20 PM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmattarn View Post
Gotta love living in surburbia... just got the boot today due to city ordinances. Not sure where I'm going to put it now, but on a positive note this forced me to plate it with the plate "BUSHAUS"

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Yeah, god forbid there'd be a bus parked on Detroit streets. Last time I was there the whole place looked like berlin in 1944... Not too sure but in most places in Detroit a bus parked on the curb should actually increase the property value...
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:22 PM   #23
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughridge85 View Post
Yeah, god forbid there'd be a bus parked on Detroit streets. Last time I was there the whole place looked like berlin in 1944... Not too sure but in most places in Detroit a bus parked on the curb should actually increase the property value...
Yeah I'd be on cinder blocks in a matter of minutes if I was in detoit haha. I live a little further out in white suburbia where there are more city ordinances than there are people

Old 06-02-2016, 03:24 PM   #24
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
that makes more sense then...
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:56 PM   #25
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH 3800
Engine: Navistar DT466E
Rated Cap: 72 passenger
Pssst! Buy a second bus, swap engines, shelve the trans and rear end. Scrap the frame.

Now take the blown DT-466e, put a 530 crank and 570 sleeves/pistons/inframe kit in it, get an ECM out of a IH4000 series truck for the same year, and you've got 300 hp with enough torque to warp your floorboards.

Sorry. I'm pretty caffinated.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:21 PM   #26
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyCoyote View Post
Pssst! Buy a second bus, swap engines, shelve the trans and rear end. Scrap the frame.

Now take the blown DT-466e, put a 530 crank and 570 sleeves/pistons/inframe kit in it, get an ECM out of a IH4000 series truck for the same year, and you've got 300 hp with enough torque to warp your floorboards.

Sorry. I'm pretty caffinated.
I'm in no hurry, I can skip the second bus and just do the upgraded rebuild on the blown. Will I need my block bored to accept the 530 and 570 components?

Old 02-15-2017, 03:28 PM   #27
Skoolie

I've been absent from the site for a while, but while I've been gone I've gotten some things figured out. Common problem with dt466 is the cylinder liner o-ring failing due to poor coolant maintenance. My #2 cylinder o-ring gave out and the engine overheated. I've got the engine torn apart and just got the call from my local shop telling me the head rebuild is done. I will be buying an in frame rebuild kit in the next few weeks and doing the rebuild in the lovely michigan cold. Does anyone have any interest in seeing pictures of any internal components of the engine? Luckily I'm in school to be a heavy duty diesel mechanic and can save thousands in labor on the rebuild.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 02-15-2017, 03:46 PM   #28
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmattarn View Post
I've been absent from the site for a while, but while I've been gone I've gotten some things figured out. Common problem with dt466 is the cylinder liner o-ring failing due to poor coolant maintenance. My #2 cylinder o-ring gave out and the engine overheated. I've got the engine torn apart and just got the call from my local shop telling me the head rebuild is done. I will be buying an in frame rebuild kit in the next few weeks and doing the rebuild in the lovely michigan cold. Does anyone have any interest in seeing pictures of any internal components of the engine? Luckily I'm in school to be a heavy duty diesel mechanic and can save thousands in labor on the rebuild.

Yeah post us some pics man.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 04:01 PM   #29
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Yeah post us some pics man.
The head was interesting to remove with limited tools and space. I did almost all the work at night.

Old 02-15-2017, 04:04 PM   #30
Skoolie

Old 02-15-2017, 04:06 PM   #31
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the beauty of a DT-466 is you CAN do an in-frame!!!!
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 04:09 PM   #32
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
the beauty of a DT-466 is you CAN do an in-frame!!!!
-Christopher
That's part of the reason I chose to buy one. I also lucked out and was able to dig out a maxxforce DT (same engine, 10 years newer with added emissions crap) from storage at school and do a complete teardown to the bare block in my engines class.

Old 02-15-2017, 04:11 PM   #33
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
heck yeah use school for its REAL value.. to learn real-world repairs!!!

your 466E is a HEUI correct?
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 04:12 PM   #34
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
heck yeah use school for its REAL value.. to learn real-world repairs!!!

your 466E is a HEUI correct?
-Christopher
HEUI indeed.

Old 02-15-2017, 05:18 PM   #35
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Great pics of rebuild-

That DT-466 motor is picky about coolant pH. Very common problem for Fleets. If you run regular ethel-glycol, you have to keep additives in the coolant.

How are the pistons? Not scuffed, I hope?

Everyone else- go check coolant pH !
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 05:26 PM   #36
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Great pics of rebuild-

That DT-466 motor is picky about coolant pH. Very common problem for Fleets. If you run regular ethel-glycol, you have to keep additives in the coolant.

How are the pistons? Not scuffed, I hope?

Everyone else- go check coolant pH !
I have 2 scuffed liners. I have yet to pull pistons, but I assume the same 2 will be scuffed. I'm just going to do a full in frame since I'm already in that far always. Then I can be confident everything is gravy

Old 02-15-2017, 05:28 PM   #37
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Chassis: TC 2000 bluebird
Engine: 5.9 cummins
Rated Cap: 66
Sorry to hear about your setback to such a great start. I'm glad to see you are taking ot in stride and doing the rebuild. I'm in Birch Run MI and if you would like to see a bus 90% converted stop on in. Its a flat front Bluebird 1998, TC2000

Bill
miltruckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 05:35 PM   #38
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by miltruckman View Post
Sorry to hear about your setback to such a great start. I'm glad to see you are taking ot in stride and doing the rebuild. I'm in Birch Run MI and if you would like to see a bus 90% converted stop on in. Its a flat front Bluebird 1998, TC2000

Bill
I would love to see it next time I'm in the area

Old 02-15-2017, 05:53 PM   #39
Bus Crazy

There are some things on which you can go cheap and some things you do not want to go cheap. When you go to all the trouble of rebuilding an engine that last thing you want to do is to go cheap on the parts and pieces as you put everything back together.

While you have everything apart it would be a great time to put on a new starter, water pump, and have the radiator serviced. Trust me when I say you will save $$$ by doing it now.

When you have a nice and tight new motor the old starter may not have enough oomph left in it to turn it over.

With a nice new motor you really do not want to overheat it again. Servicing the cooling system while the engine is all apart will save you having to do it after you have already filled the system up with coolant.

If your bus doesn't already have one invest in a coolant filter. Not only will it screen out all of the junk that gets to floating in a cooling system but most will come with an additive package inside of the filter that will help maintain a neutral pH level. After all of the work you will have gone through you really do not want to have to do it all over again because it overheated on you.

Also, spend the $$ and get new head bolts. They are not that expensive but well worth it. Most new fasteners are designed and built to only take one torque down. After the first time they will not ever hold to the original torque spe'c for long periods of time.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 05:57 PM   #40
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post
There are some things on which you can go cheap and some things you do not want to go cheap. When you go to all the trouble of rebuilding an engine that last thing you want to do is to go cheap on the parts and pieces as you put everything back together.

While you have everything apart it would be a great time to put on a new starter, water pump, and have the radiator serviced. Trust me when I say you will save $$$ by doing it now.

When you have a nice and tight new motor the old starter may not have enough oomph left in it to turn it over.

With a nice new motor you really do not want to overheat it again. Servicing the cooling system while the engine is all apart will save you having to do it after you have already filled the system up with coolant.

If your bus doesn't already have one invest in a coolant filter. Not only will it screen out all of the junk that gets to floating in a cooling system but most will come with an additive package inside of the filter that will help maintain a neutral pH level. After all of the work you will have gone through you really do not want to have to do it all over again because it overheated on you.

Also, spend the $$ and get new head bolts. They are not that expensive but well worth it. Most new fasteners are designed and built to only take one torque down. After the first time they will not ever hold to the original torque spe'c for long periods of time.
Yeah I'm pondering taking the front timing cover off and checking the oil pump as well