Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2019, 05:32 AM   #81
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Glad you caught that! [emoji3]
As if you had any doubt... [emoji57]

Old 08-02-2019, 07:31 AM   #82
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E Allison 3000
Rated Cap: 84 Kids/56 Adults
Quote:
Originally Posted by HazMatt View Post
So parking at the YMCA is probably right out..!
Hahaha well played
Old 08-14-2019, 08:44 PM   #83
Skoolie

Did it move under it's own power??
ennonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 09:16 PM   #84
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
pullin for ya

I am all the way in Kansas..... You have stuck with it, including crap that does in most folks. Hooray for you...

as far as fines go.... usually the rules read something like... as long as reasonable progress.... that is the key part progress..... I have beaten the city attorneys more than once. your photo documentation and the $100 to $250 for a lawyer type to look over, may keep you out of fines.

I await to hear you drove that out.......

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 09:34 PM   #85
Skoolie

Unfortunately I did not drive it out. AAA (still cant believe they have hauled this thing three times for basically no money) came and pulled me out, hooked me up and took me to my work (an auto shop conveniently) to escape the city's deadline. They gave me 30 days notice to remove it back in may I think, so they have been very reasonable with me. I have an unknown amount of time that I am safe at my work to finish the motor, but I now no longer have to keep half my tools in the car with me.

My remaining items on my list for starting the bus engine is down to this:
Fill the trans
Fill engine oil
Refill cooling system (had 2 leaks to take care of)
Test cooling system
Mount PCM
Fill power steering
Finish connecting harness (about 5-10 connectors/wires)
Oil pressure check
1 intercooler clamp
Install lower portion of rear engine mount (arriving friday?)

I'm so close to finishing this dang thing. I changed every gasket in behemoth of an engine and I cant wait to start it.

The area at my work I wanted the bus placed had too sharp of a turn to tow through. The bus is towed from the rear so he had me hop in and turn the wheel as if I was driving the back half of a long firetruck. That was pretty cool to do.Click image for larger version

Name:	20190810_202251.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	36471Click image for larger version

Name:	20190810_202328.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	36472Click image for larger version

Name:	53686.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	36473
Old 08-15-2019, 08:18 AM   #86
Skoolie

Good call on the AAA towing. I used it when the trans went in my motorhome. $800 tow for $40/year (or whatever AAA charges).

And great that's it's almost running. Have a plan in place for the rest of the build?

Care to plug where you're working? What kind of work do they do? I assume you recommend it?
ennonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 12:53 PM   #87
Skoolie

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: 3208 turbo Cat
Rated Cap: 78
Dmattarn, what did you tell AAA when you called, did you say you have a bus or a motorhome? I have AAA RV and motorcycle coverage.

J
juliol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 03:02 PM   #88
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennonne View Post
Good call on the AAA towing. I used it when the trans went in my motorhome. $800 tow for $40/year (or whatever AAA charges).

And great that's it's almost running. Have a plan in place for the rest of the build?

Care to plug where you're working? What kind of work do they do? I assume you recommend it?
First thing I did with the bus was have the title changed to a motorhome. I have AAA roadside plus RV coverage and get 4 tows up to 100 miles each for $85 a year.

I have a loose plan for the inside, water, kitchen, bedrooms, bathroom, but I havent gone bananas planning since the engine blew up.

The shop I work at is a mom and pop auto repair facility in Canton called Ric and Rocky's family car care. Everyone in the area seems to really like coming here for service and the owners take care of the customers well. We don't normally work on RV's but the owner let me hide here for a few days once the city kicked me out.
Old 08-23-2019, 08:05 AM   #89
Skoolie

I was able to start the engine last saturday! It smoked like a steam locomotive for the first start, but the second start it purred and doesn't smoke at all. I've spent the week dealing with various small problems.

Last night I took it on the road its first drive and went down to the speedway to fill up with some fresh diesel.

THEN THE DANG THING WOULDN'T START.

I think its sucking air through the hand primer pump. A few times while pumping it I had diesel dribble out of the pump. I had to blow my last tow with AAA to take a a half mile back to the shop.

Of course the tanker truck showed up to deliver fuel and I was blocking the whole gas station. My buddies bronco was able to scoot the bus back enough for him to get through until the tow came.
Old 08-23-2019, 08:13 AM   #90
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmattarn View Post
I was able to start the engine last saturday! It smoked like a steam locomotive for the first start, but the second start it purred and doesn't smoke at all. I've spent the week dealing with various small problems.

Last night I took it on the road its first drive and went down to the speedway to fill up with some fresh diesel.

THEN THE DANG THING WOULDN'T START.

I think its sucking air through the hand primer pump. A few times while pumping it I had diesel dribble out of the pump. I had to blow my last tow with AAA to take a a half mile back to the shop.

Of course the tanker truck showed up to deliver fuel and I was blocking the whole gas station. My buddies bronco was able to scoot the bus back enough for him to get through until the tow came.
Just curious, why did you shut off the engine to refuel? At my last fuel up I shut off the engine and then it wouldn't restart and I needed a tow from there (needed a new starter) but it was actually fortunate because if the starter had failed at my parking spot it would have been much more difficult to tow my bus away.
Old 08-23-2019, 08:54 AM   #91
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Just curious, why did you shut off the engine to refuel? At my last fuel up I shut off the engine and then it wouldn't restart and I needed a tow from there (needed a new starter) but it was actually fortunate because if the starter had failed at my parking spot it would have been much more difficult to tow my bus away.
Normally I would leave it running, but I've already used up at least 10 minutes of idling on my fresh reman. I've only put a half mile of driving on it and didnt want to sit idling for 15 minutes at the slow car diesel pump