Old 04-22-2016, 03:16 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E Allison 3000
Rated Cap: 84 Kids/56 Adults
My Unnamed '99 International Amtran

So tuesday I drove down to indianapolis and bought myseld a 1999 international amtran flat front, front engine bus. She has a DT466E engine and an allison 3000 trans with 109k miles. Picked her up for $2,500.

30 minutes outside indy, the intake hose inbetween the air charge and the intake manifold ruptured and it became a slow limp home since i was down about 50% torque/power.

I'm in school to become a diesel mechanic, so I took it to school on wednesday to have it checked out by my teachers and we found the problem hose. They said I got the bus at a steal of a price.

Other than the hose, she drove great.

So far I've deactivated the emergency door alarms and put a lock on the back door. I'll be keeping this thread updated with progress pictures as I have them. I also applied for title change to an RV which should come in the mail in about a week,[IMG]

Oh, and anyone in michigan with a skoolie hit me up and we can have a meet and greet.

Lights on:
dmattarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 03:22 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC 1000
Engine: 5.9
Send a message via Yahoo to Robin97396
Dude, you got a deal from the sounds of it. Congrats. You sound energetic and I'm looking forward to following your progress, as are many others here.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 03:37 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
That's a screaming hot deal you got on your bus. Nicely done.
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 04:08 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Welcome to the Craziness! --- And Roger the smokin' hot deal. Great engine & tranny combo for a song. Is it fairly rust free?

And do keep up with the diesel tech courses...we desperately need someone with those skills here!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 05:00 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Coachwork: AmTran
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 84
Wow....you got a steal for the price, lucky you. Hope it holds up well.

I have the exact same bus and will be starting my renovation in about 1 more month. To bad I'm way down in Texas or we could compare notes. Really looking forward to seeing your progress. Remember to post lots of pics .
Old 04-22-2016, 07:08 PM   #6
Almost There

Coachwork: Amtran
Engine: DT466E Allison 3000
Rated Cap: 84 Kids/56 Adults
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Dude, you got a deal from the sounds of it. Congrats. You sound energetic and I'm looking forward to following your progress, as are many others here.
Yeah I've been on the hunt for over 6 months and was starting to go nuts. I'm glad i finally found it and I'm ready to dive in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughridge85 View Post
That's a screaming hot deal you got on your bus. Nicely done.
I got it from MacAllister Machinery in Indianapolis. They had about 100 buses on the lot of varying age and price. The guy in charge of sales is Ron Garrett and he was really helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Welcome to the Craziness! --- And Roger the smokin' hot deal. Great engine & tranny combo for a song. Is it fairly rust free?

And do keep up with the diesel tech courses...we desperately need someone with those skills here!
Yeah I'm definitely going to get my associates and get my ASE certification. I hope to be able to provide some advice as I learn more. Fair trade for all the great info everyone has posted on here.

As for the rust, there's some scaling underneath, but it doesn't look too bad. I'll try and post pictures of the overall condition this weekend for you guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyboyHPD View Post
Wow....you got a steal for the price, lucky you. Hope it holds up well.

I have the exact same bus and will be starting my renovation in about 1 more month. To bad I'm way down in Texas or we could compare notes. Really looking forward to seeing your progress. Remember to post lots of pics .
Do you happen to have the original owners manual or anything like that? There are some switches and other things that i have no idea what their function is.

What did you end up paying for yours, and how many miles did it have?
dmattarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 09:22 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Coachwork: AmTran
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmattarn View Post
Yeah I've been on the hunt for over 6 months and was starting to go nuts. I'm glad i finally found it and I'm ready to dive in.

Do you happen to have the original owners manual or anything like that? There are some switches and other things that i have no idea what their function is.

I'm almost embarrassed to say, I paid $8500 for mine. But to me it was worth it. It already has a white roof, which I'll paint over with HyTech insulating paint, tinted windows, and highway gears. it has 162k miles on it and appears to be rust free.

Wish I had an owners manual but I don't. You'll have a head start on me but as soon as mine gets here I'll be happy to share whatever I find out as far as original equipment and how it works.

Is your's a 40 footer as well?
Old 04-22-2016, 10:31 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Quote:
I got it from MacAllister Machinery in Indianapolis. They had about 100 buses on the lot of varying age and price. The guy in charge of sales is Ron Garrett and he was really helpful.
Thanks for the name of the dealer. I looked through their current inventory and they have a large selection at decent prices. Did you do any haggling or pay the listed price? Are the buses in IN under strict inspection regulations like NY and a few other states? If so I would expect to see them in pretty decent shape and retired with lower mileage than less regulated states. What kind of shape are the mechanicals on the bus (tires, brakes, etc)? Wondering if I bought one there would it be ready to make the drive back to VA right off the lot? How did the other buses on the lot look as far as mechanical condition and rust?
Sorry for all the questions but it's good to get first hand feedback from someone who has just been to a dealer that has a large selection of buses. Looking forward to your build!
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 08:30 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
what a great lookin bus!!! Love it..

im not in Michigan but im in central ohio.. we need to find some southern michigan / ohio / indiana skoolies and all meet somewhere in the middle!! would be fun!

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 08:34 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:

Yeah I'm definitely going to get my associates and get my ASE certification. I hope to be able to provide some advice as I learn more. Fair trade for all the great info everyone has posted on here.

As for the rust, there's some scaling underneath, but it doesn't look too bad. I'll try and post pictures of the overall condition this weekend for you guys.

I looked at mccaslister , they have some really nice busses there.. some good deals, some not.. but they definitely have some Gems!

what a great way to practice what you are doing in school too, you can learn about the 'E' part of the engine too and get good at it!! thats where the $$$ is at after school, troubleshooting and repairing the electronics..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote