Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2019, 01:05 PM   #1

MyBusFred

Hi all. Been lurking and observing for awhile now. Bought a bus a few months ago and began the conversion process. Figured it was time to stop lurking and start posting. My project is a 2001 Thomas 9 window bus with a Cat 3126 and an AT545. I really liked the shorter length of this bus (ease of parking, maneuvering in campgrounds, etc.) but coming up with a workable floor plan has been challenging. Starting to envy those with a full size platform to work with. Here's an image of the bus when I first brought it home. I'll post more pics of the progress I've made shortly.

matt12886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 01:17 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Welcome!

That is a nice looking bus. I'm guessing that it has a flat floor? My first bus had a flat floor and I didn't realize when I bought my current bus just what a pain it can be working around the wheel wells.

Tell us more about your conversion plans?
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 02:09 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Vista 3600
Engine: DT466E / AT545
I was previously planning around this exact platform and have a few floorplans. I'll update my album with a few more tomorrow - http://www.skoolie.net/forums/member...lbums1661.html.

geminusprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 06:28 AM   #4

MyBusFred

Thanks Steve. The floor over the rear wheels is flat but there are wheel wells above the fronts. We plan on using the bus as an RV, not full time living. "We" are my wife and I and our 14 year old daughter. We'll have a queen size bed in the rear. Unfortunately, with our limited space, there won't be walk around space around the bed. We'll have a couch that converts to a bed for our daughter. There will be a shower, a toilet and a kitchen. I believe I can fit it all in. Just gonna be tight.
Old 01-06-2019, 06:33 AM   #5

MyBusFred

Thanks Geminus. I like your floor plans but I didn't mention that my bus has to sleep three people. What design program are you using?
Old 01-06-2019, 07:10 AM   #6

MyBusFred

When I pulled the seats and stripped the flooring out, I found that the floors had more rust than I was hoping for. The rear windows had been leaking for years so the floor, at the rear, was pretty bad. I cut all of the rust out and welded new pieces of metal in. When I pulled the rear windows out a found that the flange that holds the rubber gasket for the windows was rusted away in places. Rather than chancing any future leaks I decide to skin over the windows. I then decided that I didn't need the rear door because I had the big door for the wheelchair lift. So the rear door got deleted. I then put down 1" rigid foam insulation on the floor and 3/4" tongue and groove osb for the subfloor.
Old 01-06-2019, 07:14 AM   #7

MyBusFred

Old 01-06-2019, 07:52 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
looks great!!!.. I love these shortie flat nose busses...

covering up the emergency door... Please do think about an escape plan should you be involved in a crash(where the service door gets blocked or jammed) or a fire breaks out and you need to escape the bus quickly!

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 07:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
looks great!!!.. I love these shortie flat nose busses...

covering up the emergency door... Please do think about an escape plan should you be involved in a crash(where the service door gets blocked or jammed) or a fire breaks out and you need to escape the bus quickly!

-Christopher
Christopher. There is a big door that was used for the wheelchair lift at the right rear of the bus. Figured I didn't need both doors.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:12 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
sweet.. id definitely keep that door operable and you'll be good.!
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 08:15 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Maybe get an emergency exit window or two for the driver's side.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 08:17 AM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
a bit late for this tip, but --- as a painting and general contractor for 40+ years, I did many smoke and water damage restorations - one of the more difficult jobs were OSB sub floors in trailers that had water damage - the OSB swells up when it's wet and has to be pulled out and replaced - regular plywood seldom has that problem
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 08:26 AM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
a bit late for this tip, but --- as a painting and general contractor for 40+ years, I did many smoke and water damage restorations - one of the more difficult jobs were OSB sub floors in trailers that had water damage - the OSB swells up when it's wet and has to be pulled out and replaced - regular plywood seldom has that problem

Yup, agreed. If it can't be pulled up for whatever reason, it might be best to seal any exposed surfaces with a couple/few coats of Drylok waterproof paint.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:24 PM   #14

MyBusFred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
Thanks for the tip. I went back and forth on this and convinced myself that the OSB would be ok. Now that it's been laying there for a few days, each board is bowing in the middle. I've told myself a thousand times on different projects to "do it right the first time"! I guess I'm a slow learner. Probably going to replace the floor now.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:39 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
that's a bummer - 5/8ths tongue and groove plywood with lots of screws should work very well
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 01:54 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Vista 3600
Engine: DT466E / AT545
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt12886 View Post
Thanks Geminus. I like your floor plans but I didn't mention that my bus has to sleep three people. What design program are you using?
Sketchup Free 2017 and the 3D warehouse.
geminusprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:01 AM   #17

MyBusFred

So, I deleted my imgur account which deleted the pics I had posted here. Here's a quick recap of pics