Tootalltechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 04:20 PM   #32
Almost There

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Corbeil - RAMROD
Chassis: IH 3800 66 Pass
Engine: 7.3 IH IDI NA w AT545 hyd
Thanks!

Wishing the progress was a lot more often, but the 1hr drive to get to the bus each way chews up a lot of free time that could be used accomplishing things.

Beaver tail...Canada eh? ;)
slidewayzm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 06:38 PM   #33
Skoolie

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Blue bird
Chassis: CHEVROLET C60
Engine: 350 ci on propane
Rated Cap: 48
We're you able to find underbody boxes at a big rig wrecker? Not sure if I'm going to put underbody boxes or another 50 gallon propane tank.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Tootalltechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 09:33 PM   #34
Almost There

Haven't looked around yet for the boxes - still focused on getting it skinned and sealed up, one coat of white exterior paint and then spray foam so that I can continue working on it inside as the temps drop.
Old 09-10-2016, 12:04 PM   #35
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Hey Slidewayz, have you found a Calgary equivalent to Ospho for the rust treatment? I cant find anything
-cycosis- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 03:29 PM   #36
Almost There

Metal Blast and Rust Bullet. - I think I mentioned a couple posts back - I got it through a distributor in Edmonton.
Old 09-12-2016, 01:52 PM   #37
Almost There

Don't have pics uploaded but I've skinned over the windows on the left side - all but 1 for where the sink will go and 1 more beside the drivers seat. On the right side, I've skinned over all of them except the first 3 where the dinette will go.

Next I have a job of sealing a ton of areas, paint and then spray foam when that is all done. Fighting almost freezing temps already, I'd like to get this closed up so I can work inside out of the elements sooner than later.
Old 09-14-2016, 01:55 AM   #38
Almost There

So as most of you probably are similar - keeping costs down on this venture is very important.

However, After reading about the vast amount of leaks that people have after finishing their Skoolies - I have opted to buy a 5G pail of Liquid Rubber Waterproof Sealant and 100 feet of 2/4" Seam tape from liquidrubber.ca. They were awesome to deal with so I can't wait until the product shows up.

This way I can literally seam tape over every metal to metal seam, all of the rivets, and any other areas that typically leak and then follow it up with a couple good coats of the Sealant on top.

Once that is all done - then I can get to painting the bus with an Industrial Tremclad White paint - something durable for the long term.

The key for me so far is having great friends to help and find items for the bus for free or next to free.. and only spending money on the must have preventative products like the Rust treatment Metal Blast and Rust Bullet, Liquid Rubber Waterproof Sealant, and in the near future - paint and spray foam.
Old 09-26-2016, 01:09 AM   #39
Almost There

Wow - almost two weeks without an update!

Lots happened.. let me catch you up a bit.

Was given a class 5 hitch capable of 12,500lbs. It was too wide and too tall so I cut it down, and welded it back together. My cousin is a weld inspector and he did the welding because I'm a bit out of practice compared to him and ultimate strength was important.

Looks a hell of a lot better - you'll see it again in a few pics. Drilling through the frame sucked as it was beefed up in one section so I went through 3 - 1/4" plates for 2 of the 8 holes. Will definitely be strong enough for the small stuff I'll use it for.

Ran a bunch of Liquid Rubber - Seam Tape on a bunch of areas I thought might be prone to leaks. Then added Liquid Rubber Waterproof Sealant on top and put it over all of the seams, rivets and any area that wasn't solid metal. I do NOT want leaks later on and from my reading this seems to be a common thing with most Skoolie owners.

Then we started putting bed liner on the back deck, and both bumpers. Had a bit left over and it cannot be reused so my great helper started doing up the front in a cool pattern over the fenders.

I really like the look of the bed liner. I might even paint the whole bus like that in the future for that badass rugged look and durability.

No SDR you can't borrow my helper :P lol

I redid the interior with Rust Bullet - that stuff is amazing.

So then after consulting with my Uncle - he felt the Liquid rubber wouldn't do well with white paint and might bleed some color through and turn it brown or whatever.. Plus black was $4 a Gal cheaper!
Busted out my Wagner electric spray gun and Ramrod quickly had me humming Whoa Black Betty bam ba dam in my head

NOTE - as you can see - I made sure my hood was open and sprayed the front grille from laying down below so that there is no overspray on the radiator - you don't want to create cooling problems.

Now it looks pretty sweet! I still like the look of the bed liner but the Tremclad Semi Gloss black worked great after quickly scuffing the original paint with a palm sander and 100 grit.

The wheels are still not pretty, but when I get at all the mechanical items I will have the rims off and paint them up nice as well.

One pic I missed taking is where M used the Bondo hair to fill all of the holes inside the bus.

Oh and we tinted the 5 windows. 35%. Pain in the butt on old windows with less than perfect surfaces. Hopefully they don't peel. But it will aid in the privacy aspect.

Next up is Spray Foam!
Old 09-26-2016, 09:13 AM   #40
Almost There

Make sure that back porch is very visible once your done.

I can see how a soccer-mom driving a mini-van with her soy-latte could miss it and think there is space "behind" the back wall and smack into it...

Just a thought!
mrblah is offline   Reply With Quote