Worked on the bus some more today. Got the spots for the front lights prepped and painted.
Cut up the new hitch to start the process of making it fit.
Decided to remove the ramp to make it closer to the frame as it had plenty of space. I want to move it up about 2.5". This will give me more options mounting the hitch.
After removing all that I decided to pressure wash the underside of the bus and the ramp. They were filthy and could have used a cleaning. It was dark by the time I finished so I did not take any pictures. I will get some tomorrow.
I hope you disregard all that non sense in that other thread telling people to not drill or mount hitches on the bottom of the frame rails. Almost every vehicle with a hitch mounts it off the bottom of the frame rail.
That other thread about hitch mounting needs to be deleted. No use full info, it might scare some one that don't know better.
"Don't argue with stupid people. They will just drag you down to their level, and beat you up with experience."
Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
I was not aware of said thread nor have I seen it. I can only think on one hand the number of reasons one would not want to mount a hitch on the flange of a frame. My frame is the same 3/8" thickness as my hitch is. Plus, there is a cross brace in front of and behind where the hitch will be mounted. I would have no worries hooking up 20k to this and towing it when I am all said and done.
I did not get as much done today as I wanted. Life has a habit of doing that to me. I got the hitch put in a large band saw and cut down to the correct width I need.
Here is a picture of the rear after I got it all pressure washed.
Had a few boxes start showing up today.
I mostly started cleaning out the back of it. I had a ton (literately) of steel in the back I took out. Also removed the Dana 44s for my ARO project. I still have a huge amount of auto parts in the back I need to take out so I can continue working on her.
Been busy working on the bus. Not must to see in the form of progress though. Been cleaning it and removing little things. Had more parts come in also.
Got the hitch welded up and ready to go. Got the new front tires in and mounted up on the rims. Will have them all installed on the bus next weekend. Putting a bunch of the interior trim back together inside.
The parts delivery included. Two cheap pyros, trans temp gauge, coolant filter with additive, some e-track rings, 20k 2 5/8 ball, seals for my trailer, new silicone intake pipe couplers, 6 gallons of heavy duty truck anti freeze, and an air brake to electric trailer brake controller. Picked up a cheap RV door. Not really what I wanted but it was the cheapest one I could find.
It is cold today and we are supposed to get some snow soon. So I stayed inside and built the new wiring harness for the rear lights. It is a 50' 16 wire harness of varying gauges. This will power all the rear lights, the trailer plug, and the rear camera.
It is all in 3/4" split loom and then wrapped with 3M super 33+ electrical tape.