Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2011, 10:42 PM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Corbeil
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e
Re: New Project!

We got lots done on the bus in the last few days!

We removed the windows and got all the sheet metal down and insulation removed and bundled. We also got all the wires removed and started to clean up the windows to sell them.

Alex got a pretty nice cut today when cleaning around the windows (see blog for pictures). We are going to take a few days off and then come back and start the roof raise.
Attached Thumbnails
000_0219.JPG   000_0200.JPG   000_0216.JPG  

Alex and Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:40 AM   #22
Hex
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bluebird, Model 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 42

Looks great!

When you get done, you'll have to bring it over the bridge!
Hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:18 PM   #23
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Rated Cap: 72

looking good guys, keep up the good work, I was wondering is the bus still registered in the company where you got it? or is it in your name? the reason Im asking is (Im in Ontario) you will have to get a saftey check done, if you raise the roof will you be able to have a mechanic sign a saftey? I know that I wouldnt sign the saftey(Im lic tech) because the work was not done in a custom shop. Mto can jump all over my ass for things like that. maybe a shop in your area would sign off on it , I dont know, but I think you should check that out before you hack the roof off. maybe you did and its ok.

gbstewart
Old 09-05-2011, 12:59 PM   #24
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Engine: DT466E

Hows the hand coming along? Hope all is well
Old 09-16-2011, 02:03 PM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbstewart
looking good guys, keep up the good work, I was wondering is the bus still registered in the company where you got it? or is it in your name? the reason Im asking is (Im in Ontario) you will have to get a saftey check done, if you raise the roof will you be able to have a mechanic sign a saftey? I know that I wouldnt sign the saftey(Im lic tech) because the work was not done in a custom shop. Mto can jump all over my ass for things like that. maybe a shop in your area would sign off on it , I dont know, but I think you should check that out before you hack the roof off. maybe you did and its ok.

gbstewart
Wow this isn't even something that crossed our mind, so thank you for bringing it to our attention. We called a local company and they directed us to Metro Collision Services who do structural safeties. We apparently just have to provided them with pictures from before, during and after the roof raise and they will give us a safety if the welds are up to standard. I'm happy we looked into that before cutting the bus open so thank you again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakn
Hows the hand coming along? Hope all is well
Alex's hand healed up nicely, thanks for asking : ).
We took a little time off the bus to take care of some things but are happy to now be back working on it. We are getting it all cleaned up and plan on starting to remove the rivets on the outside to start the roof raise tomorrow.

we put up a new blog post at:
http://angieandalex.blogspot.com/201...ck-to-bus.html
Old 09-16-2011, 05:27 PM   #26
Bus Crazy

Chassis: 3800 International

glad to see your back, I was wondering if I scared you off! good to find out about the saftey, some thing else I was thinking about does the welding have to be
done by a license welder? you might have to find that out before cutting starts.I know if it would have been I would have had the saftey done and name transffered before the build, but thats just me, Im sure you will have no problems, anyway good to have you back,

gbstewart
Old 09-17-2011, 06:44 PM   #27
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Engine: DT466E

"Alex's hand healed up nicely, thanks for asking : ).
We took a little time off the bus to take care of some things but are happy to now be back working on it. We are getting it all cleaned up and plan on starting to remove the rivets on the outside to start the roof raise tomorrow."

Your not a skoolie until the seats are out and you have drawn blood! Welcome aboard, bus is lookin good.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:09 PM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

Here is a link to our newest blog post http://angieandalex.blogspot.com/201...16th-2011.html .

We are 3/4 of the way through grinding and priming the floor and we also took out the staircase. The stairs hang to low for our liking, and we will put our generator into that spot. The stairs will be hinged like a drawbridge and swing into the bus. We started removing rivets on the outside preparing for the roof raise. We also pulled of the front roof cap because Corbiel saw fit to make it out of fibreglass which now leaks around all of its wavy edges. It will be replaced with steel so there will be no more sealing issues. The first roof section came down as well as this will be the angled transition to the roof raise.

Attached Thumbnails
000_0366.JPG   000_0373.JPG   000_0384.JPG  
Old 10-05-2011, 09:26 AM   #29
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15

Oooohhh! A moonroof!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:38 PM   #30
Mini-Skoolie

We are continuing to take the sheet metal down to free up the roof. We plan on the window pillars being the last thing we cut. We have also been taking out the window ledges and the seat rails so that we can clean up and paint down in the wall pockets.
Attached Thumbnails
Photo on 2011-10-08 at 14.08 #2.jpg   000_0435.JPG   000_0399.JPG  
Old 11-09-2011, 06:00 PM   #31
Mini-Skoolie

Lots done since the last update!! Today we got the roof lifted 2.5 feet. Over the last few days we have been installing the posts for the deck and getting everything ready to cut. The raise went flawlessly today, with the roof decks tacked in place the roof slid right up with no possibility of it going out of square. The bus now measures 12.5 feet at the deck, nothing else will be taller than that.

Attached Thumbnails
000_0541.JPG   000_0726.JPG   000_0728.JPG  
Old 11-09-2011, 06:07 PM   #32
Mini-Skoolie

More info at our blog

Attached Thumbnails
000_0748.JPG   000_0752.JPG   000_0733.JPG  
Old 11-12-2011, 01:47 PM   #33
Bus Geek

Hey Guys --- I gotta' tell ya...I've seen a lot of roof raiseings, but none as clever as yours! Excellent thinking and I'm betting it is about as true & square as it came from the factory. Very cool!
Old 11-12-2011, 03:15 PM   #34
Mini-Skoolie

Double Post
Old 11-12-2011, 03:21 PM   #35
Mini-Skoolie

Tango, thank you for the compliment! Our main inspiration was Elliot and the Millicent Chronicles. The plan was to copy his roof raise method, but when we saw him cut the holes in the roof for the tarp ribs, it clicked that this would be the easiest way.

This is our first walkthrough video. We will continue posting videos along the way. We found it a much easier format for getting our ideas/layout across.
http://angieandalex.blogspot.com/2011/1 ... l?spref=fb
Old 11-13-2011, 01:26 AM   #36
Skoolie

Great way to raise the roof. Not only you lifted it straight and square but put full height reinforcements on it.
pipopak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:41 AM   #37
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipopak
Great way to raise the roof. Not only you lifted it straight and square but put full height reinforcements on it.
Thanks Pipopak! We are both really happy with how it turned out : )
Old 11-20-2011, 12:58 PM   #38
Mini-Skoolie

Hi Guys : )

Since the roof raise we have been working on getting our windows framed as well as framing our garage and bed platform. Alex removed the back wall since our design does not have a door at the back and is working on framing it in now. We are still really lucky with the weather here, but winter is bitting at our heals. Alex is working hard to get everything framed and then skinned before our first snowfall. We are also looking forward to not having to tarp the bus up every night!

There is more info and pictures at our blog:
http://angieandalex.blogspot.com/2011/1 ... raise.html

I also have a question for any skoolie pet owners. We have two feline friends who will be moving into the bus with us, and I was wondering how peoples pets had reacted to the change in lifestyle. We are pretty confident that the cats will be fine with the move, but I would feel better knowing others have done this with no stress to their pets.
Attached Thumbnails
100_0141.JPG   100_0161.JPG   100_0162.JPG  
Old 11-20-2011, 04:22 PM   #39
Bus Geek

Gotta ask...do you guys plan on welding in segments of ribs over the square tube to fill in/connect the lower and upper existing ribs? Looking good, keep it up!
Old 11-20-2011, 04:53 PM   #40
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango
Gotta ask...do you guys plan on welding in segments of ribs over the square tube to fill in/connect the lower and upper existing ribs? Looking good, keep it up!
Hey Tango : )

I'm sorry if I misunderstood the question, but I think you are talking about the black ribs on the exterior?

If so we haven't really decided on the exterior yet. Once we get it sheeted if it looks really goofy we might add in more ribs. We still always go back and forth on our colour choice (it's between forest green and white). We will defiantly try to make the bus as aesthetically appealing as possible. One of our main concerns with the roof raise was the prospect of the bus having a gigantic forehead. We both are not very partial to that look, so decided it would be best to have an angled transition in the front.
Attached Thumbnails
100_0163.JPG