Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2007, 08:16 PM   #1

new Skoolie

I've been lurking here for some time in preparation for my own Skoolie purchase. Well I got my bus! It's a 88 Ford B-600 with a 8 window Thomas body, 370 gas V-8 and 5 speed standard tranny. Some of you may have seen it on Ebay. It was out here in the middle of nowhere (North Dakota) and I think I got it for a good price. I've already removed all the seats and am well on my way. I plan to paint it yet this year and work on the interior through the winter. I do have a couple questions. Can I use galvanized sheat metal to cover the holes from where I removed my 8 way lights? What thikness gauge should I use? Does it take paint? Also, I want some kind of roof vent. Some newer buses I looked at had factory vents. Are these good or should I look for something else? Where can I get these factory vents used?

Thanks all for a great site! Marc in South Dakota

powerwagon63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 08:42 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: new Skoolie

Hey, I looked at those buses on E-bay. I believe there was a Ford and a Chevy available.

I have painted galvanized metal before. First I wipe it down with paint thinner then scuff it a bit with sand paper before applying primer. Dry. Then paint.

Welcome to the Forum!
Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 03:36 PM   #3
Bus Nut

welcome to the world of skoolie, what's the significant meaning of a handle like powerwagon 63? is it a 63 dodge W truck? where ae you located?
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 08:23 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

What part of nowhere is the bus located? I just drove across most of Nowhere, North Dakota this weekend (Fargo to Medora on I-94) and got into a conversation with a trucker about a 1956 Ford shorty he was selling. That North Dakota wind is something else to drive through.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:48 PM   #5

My handle powerwagon63 comes from my 63 Dodge W-200 Power Wagon. The bus was in Lisbon ND a little SW of Fargo. I live in Watertown SD about 130 miles south of Fargo. I love the wind! Nothing is worse than a hot day without a breeze. The bus made it home without a hitch and I'm well on my way in the conversion. I've gotten tons of ideas from this site and I'm excited to go camping.

Marc in Watertown SD
powerwagon63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 10:24 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

The guy with the bus said it was about 25 minutes off 29, but I'm pretty sure he was north of Fargo closer to Grand Forks than south.

That wind was enough to pop up a tent camper in front of us...on I-94...while they were going 75 mph. The best part was the guy not noticing despite me honking my horn, flashing my lights, and trying to get his attention on the CB and FRS on the off chance he had a radio on him. Needless to say I was thankful when I got east of Detroit Lakes and found trees again.

Personally I would just use whatever I had lying around to cover the holes from the 8 ways, but I'm cheap like that. I have painted galvanized and it worked just fine. Just use good primer. On the otherhand...if you're going to prime it well and paint it anyway you might not need to expense of galvanized.