Old 09-05-2014, 11:56 AM   #11
Site Team

Re: New to Skoolies and future conversion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil

This!

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 04:48 PM   #12

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Spartan
Engine: 5.9l Cummins Diesel

Oh yah! i forgot that my second post was approved. Here are some pics...

when I find where I saved the removal pics I will link those too.
TheGreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 11:10 AM   #13

Working on the floors. There is a bit of surface rust.

5.9l Cummins engine.
Old 09-08-2014, 11:20 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15

Congrats & welcome --- Great engine...love those Cummins. But I can't tell from the pic if it has a turbo or not. Doesn't appear to. If not, look into adding one along with an intercooler. They make an already fine engine even better.

And maybe I missed it, but what tranny do you have? That alone can make an enormous difference in both mpg and how much power gets to the ground. the new generation Allisons are pretty amazing.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 01:35 PM   #15

Not sure TBH. I left the previous owner a message and will be calling him with some questions in a few.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:53 PM   #16
Almost There

Year: 97
Coachwork: Me!
Chassis: BB
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango
Congrats & welcome --- Great engine...love those Cummins. But I can't tell from the pic if it has a turbo or not. Doesn't appear to. If not, look into adding one along with an intercooler.
Its a turbo, that pipe sticking straight up and going towards the front with the funny clamps is an intercooler pipe.

I have yet to see a cummins without a turbo, was that a bus thing? All pickups were turbos, 91-92 were not intercooled but still had the turbo, just ran lower boost numbers.

Good buy on a good looking bus!
Ponyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 03:29 PM   #17
Site Team

yup what he said, looks like mine but dustier

mine has more of the diesel wet look
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 09:55 AM   #18

So i'm about to drop into search and see what i can find forum wise, but I thought I would make a post here.

I'm aiming for an off grid build with solar panels and a greenhouse style back end. Is anyone familiar with a solar system that is ideal for rv's and can be added too? I'm thinking about starting at 250w and moving up to 1.5kw or higher in the end space permitting.

I was curious is anyone reading this had experience with a good efficient system. Thanks!
Old 09-23-2014, 12:27 PM   #19
r_w
Skoolie

Nothing that special about a skoolie install other than the racking. Build it to hurricane specs, you can't drive that fast.

It is a battle between panel size and $$/watt. Shipping is the killer on the panels and a local source or a big order or group buy really helps. Solar Bob has good practical advice on mounting, shadows, etc., but some of the technology he says is too newfangled isn't anymore (or on the verge of being proven).

My plan (more of just a daydream at this point) is to leave a walkway in the middle of the bus the width of the hatches (with lightweight grated decking for shade and traction) as my access to clean the panels, then run two rows of panels full length (or until the money runs out). Up off the deck just enough to make air space for a safari shade. Sloped to the side slightly so water will run off and hopefully take most of the dirt with it.

That big of a swing in wattage means you will probably be replacing some parts along the way. Or maybe you want to run two systems--buy a small system right now and then use it as an engine battery system when you buy a bigger house battery system.

When you get that big, you need to start thinking about diversion loads. In the winter, I would run extra heat wherever to burn up spare power--engine and tranny heaters, water tank heaters, etc. Summer is trickier.
r_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 01:21 PM   #20
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 72

250 watts is a good start, don't see how you can have too much power, your charger will take care of topping off your batteries and keeping you from overcharging (think alternator - driving all day doesn't hurt your batteries) . I plan to install as many watts as I can fit up there once we get a roof rack built. 250 watts is only a little over 22 amps for an hour, that should be good for lights and water pump for a day if you get prime sunlight (110 amps total on an ideal 5 hour of sunlight charge, I'd like to have 4 of those for an even kilowatt. Also, think about panel voltage, 48 watt panels will require smaller wire sizes/longer runs without voltage drop issues. Your charge controller will convert different voltages into the 12v your rv systems need. Batteries are the other issue here. While I'd love to go with Lifelines' AGM batteries (no maintenance), they're close to $700 a piece for 6V/400AH batteries (I was planning for 6 - 6V/400AH for a total of 1200AH at 12V) but I came across these the other night: http://rollsbattery.com/public/specsheets/S-1400EX.pdf , (6) 2V batteries is 12V and they have a longer life (of course you gotta perform maintenance on them and they need to be in a ventilated compartment.