Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2009, 03:14 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Hi, Everyone!
I am not sure if I can put my topic here, I don't have bus yet, but after reading this Forum for a few years and still dreaming about to buy and convert school bus to vacation (only) mobilhome, I decide to join the crowd.
First, would like to say I admire all talents, hard work and dedication your guys put up in your projects.
My bus still a dream during to financial situations but by reading all posts here I get more and more familiar with stuff necessary for conversion. So by now I would say I have pretty good idea (80%) what will I need and how to do
Meanwhile I am still playing with my PC in order to figure out what size bus I want, and after a while I end up with 6 windows+driver as most convenient size for 2 or 3 travelers. So all my late planning reflecting this size. I am working with approximate dimensions ( what I could find here at skoolie ) but really need more accurate measurements so I could start to work on my cabinets, and collecting other stuff for the future build. I know it is hard to get right dimensions because 6 windows bus goes with different manufacturers But I will try to limit my search to dog nose bus or P 30 base. May be somebody here have a good chance to get inside one of those buses and help me with more specific measurements.
Today I would like to present to you, Guys, my final (I hope) floor plan, keep in mind that I remember about wheel wells My main question about this plan if I will able to mount holding tanks for shower and toilet locate at the corner of the bus. DO NOT know what is going on under bus at this corner
But anyway, do not want to make you read so much, here come picture
P.S. Please excuse my English, ESL here ...
Attached Thumbnails
7 windows bus FLOOR.jpg  

sr100pcfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 03:26 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: carpenter
Chassis: international
Engine: 7.3 diesel
Re: Newbie

Hi

It looks like a great layout to me. I wish I could be computer savoy enough to make floorplans, and changes, on the computer, but I am not.

Good luck.
RyanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 03:32 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for responding to my post Ryan. If you would like I'll be more then happy to help you with floor plan planning if you tell me what you have in mind and will give me some dimensions.
Old 07-25-2009, 03:43 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: carpenter
Chassis: international
Engine: 7.3 diesel

Thanks-

I appriciate the offer, however I have it pretty well decided upon. The only real framing I will need will be for the rear bedroom wall and the bathroom. The rest will just have to fit where it can, like a futon, tv stand hooked to the wall, and small table and chairs in place of the dining booth. (table bolted down, of course!)

Also, as far as dimensions- go to town online if standard sizes are what you are after. The shower in my RV is 24"x36". vs 32" X 32" being the smallest i saw at Lowes. When I needed the sizes for twin, queen, full mattresses,(deciding if certain layouts would work) I tried furniture stores online, but no dimensions were listed, however wikipedia had them all. So I got most of the info I needed without driving from store to store measuring stuff.
RyanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 04:03 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

I am planning to put emergency window at my bathroom, plus I thing I may use one of the hatch on the roof. I thing most buses serve them as emergency exits are they?
Old 07-25-2009, 04:04 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Oh... and it will be 3 windows at port side where is dinette is located
Old 07-25-2009, 04:43 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Jimmy, I completely agree with you, its probably serve your needs, but I am thinking about roof ac for air circulation and don't need back door for loading / unloading, so I hope eliminating back door won't give me a lot of problem. Hmm... I hope. What you think, Guys?
Old 07-25-2009, 06:42 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

thanks, Vanguy, and yes I kept it in my mine, when I planed, to keep back door access is long is possible during construction, to make sure all big sized item will fit into the bus.
Old 07-25-2009, 06:45 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Oh, btw, I have a question, is it really necessary to frame the bus for cabinets, because I am thinking to build same way we build yachts, cabinet to cabinet construction and framing for partition walls only.
Old 07-25-2009, 06:58 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

It is going to look something like that
Attached Thumbnails
18\' bus PORT.jpg   18\' bus STBD.jpg   18\' bus Front.jpg  
Old 07-25-2009, 09:48 PM   #11
Skoolie

Year: 90
Coachwork: blue bird
Chassis: International
Engine: Navistar Straight 6 Turbo
Rated Cap: 65

Man I wish I had your talents with the pc plans and drawings. I have a three ring binder full of my chicken scratch and various assorted drawings from the past year.

for my emergency exit, I am going to install emerg exit type windows on both sides when I get to that point. current emergency exit door is in the way for some other stuff.
in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain
newbusser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 11:52 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbusser
Man I wish I had your talents with the pc plans and drawings. I have a three ring binder full of my chicken scratch and various assorted drawings from the past year.
I did say that before, I will be more then happy to help with plans and drawing on any specifications, I enjoying it very much.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:59 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyaustintx
Also maybe put an opening behind the drivers seat wall this way people can see forward and you can hear them it will be hard to talk going down the road and it won't be as dark and cramp just a thought
Thanks, Jimmy I think you right.Not sure about talking to the driver on the road, but it will surely increase light, also will eliminate upper cabinet on port side so all windows will be open and serve better for emergency situations
Attached Thumbnails
18\' bus PORT revised.jpg