Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2017, 09:38 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Newby starting to search

I have been lurking here a while, have a couple of friends who've done the school bus conversions and I think I have the bug now too.

My plan is to have a rear engined bus and cut a door in between the engine compartment and the wheel well large enough to install a modified wheelchair lift that I intend to use to put my motorcycles into a small garage, then with a bulkhead forward convert the remainder of the bus into living quarters.

So I think my preference would be an int/ AmTran pusher with a DT466 and 2000 series allison or better. But there are a variety of busses that I am certain would do.

I am in Ontario Canada and there are very few flat nose busses up here so I need your help. I need to know from someone who owns one how much space there is between the back of the wheel well bump and the front of the engine compartment and if its enough for my intended purpose.

I am open to suggestions too, there are some great build threads on this site that I have wasted a tremendous amount of time reading over the past couple of months. So I know there is plenty of knowledge here to tap.

Thanks in advance.

dirtbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 02:19 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
If you want the lift, the path of least resistance is surely to get a bus that already has one. They aren't particularly rare.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:45 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
There are some bold fabricators on this site, but I've never heard of anyone installing a lift in a bus that didn't originally have one.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:22 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

I agree a pre installed lift would save lots of aggravation but when the lifts are already in the back its a front engined bus, was really hoping to have a RE, I don't imagine that cutting a whole, building a frame and door and installing a lift is nearly as difficult as raising the roof in terms of fabricating?

Before I abandon the idea I was trying to determine if it would even work, ie. is there physically enough room between the wheel well and the engine compartment to build what i am thinking, if not I won't wast a lot of time trying to figure out how to do it.

thanks
Old 03-23-2017, 07:37 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
try and get a bus from nc sc or tenn. lots of rust buckets up there
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 07:43 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

You bet, stuff up here is full of rot in only a few years, southern busses are the way to go, Florida, Georgia and anywhere out of the rust belt where they use lots for salt in the winter.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:49 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbill View Post
You bet, stuff up here is full of rot in only a few years, southern busses are the way to go, Florida, Georgia and anywhere out of the rust belt where they use lots for salt in the winter.
I live in FL and go way out of my way to buy anywhere but here or GA. Our schools are poor, they buy crappy buses then beat them to hell.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 08:05 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Thats interesting, I noticed a lot that seemed to have sat and been scavenged in some places, but I also noticed that in Arizona buses that seemed to be utterly destroyed.

Where is the best place to look, there have been a few interesting college sport team buses that seemed good deals.

Thanks
Old 03-25-2017, 04:39 AM   #9
Skoolie

Quote:
I have been lurking here a while, have a couple of friends who've done the school bus conversions and I think I have the bug now too.

My plan is to have a rear engined bus and cut a door in between the engine compartment and the wheel well large enough to install a modified wheelchair lift that I intend to use to put my motorcycles into a small garage, then with a bulkhead forward convert the remainder of the bus into living quarters.
That is my exact thought! Cut out a door to fit a Honda Goldwing into the rear garage, but that is not an easy task. I might need to get a smaller motorcycle...
100MPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 11:28 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Yeah? Another bike that won't fit!. I was wanting to put my ST1100 in my garage in the rear of the bus. At 640 pounds that bike is not easy to ride up a ramp and I'd have to remove the windshield to get it through my emergency door anyway. Loading and unloading sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

I eventually settled on the idea of getting a much lighter dual sport bike that could load and unload easily, while still providing some trail riding and can legally run the public roads. It's also a good backup plan so I don't have to walk 20 or 30 miles out of the boonies if I ever get stuck.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:35 AM   #11
Bus Geek

I sold my vstrom when we moved into the bus, looking to get a klr250 or similar to carry on the back... But I keep getting distracted by the Grom and z125...
Old 03-25-2017, 01:05 PM   #12
Bus Geek

I wanted the KLR 650 for the longest time, but then I learned my legs weren't really long enough for those tall bikes. I'm been looking at the TC200 as a light weight dual sport bike that would load and unload without any straining of muscles.
Old 03-25-2017, 02:54 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Well I am hoping to get my FLHTP in along with one of my dirt-dual sport bikes for extended trips to warm places.

So the dirt bikes weigh less than 300 lbs but the HD with the bags off is still 760lbs, most lifts are rated for 800lbs so I will have to fabricate a brace once its lifted up so 200lb me can get the bike in the bus.

I know, I know you guys are all saying a trailer would be easier! I might have to go that way if I can't figure all this out.
Old 03-25-2017, 03:25 PM   #14
Bus Geek

It's to easy for a nice bike to get covered with road grime on a trailer. I'm for keeping mine in my proposed garage in the back which also protects it from people messing with it.

I also have the wheelchair lift, but I'm wishing I had a lift gate on the back. Six of one and a half dozen of the other. The back door is shorter than the wheelchair door.
Old 03-25-2017, 03:54 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
I wanted the KLR 650 for the longest time, but then I learned my legs weren't really long enough for those tall bikes. I'm been looking at the TC200 as a light weight dual sport bike that would load and unload without any straining of muscles.
The trick with tall bikes is to throw out the idea than you need both feet on the ground when you stop. Just slide your rear over to the side and like magic you can reach the ground on that side.

The klr650 is bigger than I would want but it's a great bike. It was definitely in the running when I bought my vstrom.

I'm planning to use one of the receiver hitch mounted bike carriers so I have a weight and size limit.
Old 03-25-2017, 05:13 PM   #16
Bus Geek

I can't think of anything better than being able to go to a new place in a little house, then explore on a bike.

I'm selling my big bike. Scaling down. Got to if I really want to hit the road in my maxivan.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:05 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

I'm think the bus is much more durable than a motorhome and the idea of a garage and having it set up the way I want is better. The other issue is that if you don't use them all the time they tend to develop issues at least on gas trucks, my buddy left his bus here last fall, it sat for three months he came on a freezing cold day at Christmas we fired it up and he drove to Florida not a worry in the world. that's a tough rig.
Old 03-25-2017, 07:22 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Quote:
I'm think the bus is much more durable than a motorhome and the idea of a garage and having it set up the way I want is better. The other issue is that if you don't use them all the time they tend to develop issues at least on gas trucks, my buddy left his bus here last fall, it sat for three months he came on a freezing cold day at Christmas we fired it up and he drove to Florida not a worry in the world. that's a tough rig.
Motorhomes generally aren't all metal and rated for rollover. Many buses are based on medium duty platforms, much stronger and more reliable than your typical truck or van platform. Motorhomes vary but most the ones I saw were made of plastic and running Ford truck engines.
Old 03-25-2017, 07:28 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Yeah, a bus doesn't turn into kindling when it rolls.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:32 PM   #20
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
The trick with tall bikes is to throw out the idea than you need both feet on the ground when you stop. Just slide your rear over to the side and like magic you can reach the ground on that side.

The klr650 is bigger than I would want but it's a great bike. It was definitely in the running when I bought my vstrom.

I'm planning to use one of the receiver hitch mounted bike carriers so I have a weight and size limit.
Try out shauns klr250 next time you're over.
One of the most under rated dual sports out there. Plenty of power and easy to handle. Way lighter and less top heavy than the 650.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote