Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2015, 06:21 PM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64crew4x4 View Post
One BIG reason for the Coolant lines inside Vehicle....Inside lines stay warmer in winter weather....If it is below freezing outside and the lines of fluid Are travelling 35-50 ft up to the front, they are cool by the time they get to front heat...;) In Bus, that won't happen... just one silly mechanical point of view....lol
Hmmm, I hadn't thought of that, not really planning on running it in freezing cold weather, but a good consideration all the same. I just don't like the idea of having something that could make that big a mess in the living space.

bustagator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 03:39 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MPV Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins Mechanical
Rated Cap: 84
If running Rubber hoses up thru cab space, convert to Solids.....;) Easy to plumb into and t off of anyplace you need to run a Heat source Tap....;) I have not looked at mine yet to see if it is already steel or rubber
64crew4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 03:46 PM   #23
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126b Rotella-Chugger
Rated Cap: 72
I ran mine underneath because I didn't plan my interior space to have the hoses run inside. If I were to do it again I'd run them inside. Takes less hose, would be easier and puts the heat where you want it.

Unless, of course, you're using your heater loop as radiators #2 and 3 on a summer road trip like I'm doing in a few days. Then run them underneath.
porkchopsandwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 04:07 PM   #24
Skoolie

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: 3208 turbo Cat
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkchopsandwiches View Post
I ran mine underneath because I didn't plan my interior space to have the hoses run inside. If I were to do it again I'd run them inside. Takes less hose, would be easier and puts the heat where you want it.

Unless, of course, you're using your heater loop as radiators #2 and 3 on a summer road trip like I'm doing in a few days. Then run them underneath.
Hey porkchopsandwiches, that is a good Idea, removing the rear heater and installing it underneath the bus for auxiliary radiator.

J
juliol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 06:15 PM   #25
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtran
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 71
Just replaced mine with new hoses, old ones had a bunch of repairs and I too didn't want them leaking once finished. Front to back (RE).
Old 06-16-2015, 09:14 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliol View Post
Hey porkchopsandwiches, that is a good Idea, removing the rear heater and installing it underneath the bus for auxiliary radiator.

J
I have done that on a few of our rides here on the farm.

The best one is the tree spade truck. It always over heated due to the fan not pushing enough air through the smallish rad while sitting stationary digging a tree, revved up.

So in a pinch I used two of the rear heater units out of my first bus plumbed into the heater lines. Never heated up again.

The hottest place to draw hot coolant from on a 5.9 Cummins is off the back of #6 piston. This is part of what helps the 5.9 cummins engine in buses last as well as they do, compared to the same engine in a dodge truck. Dodge trucks never pulled coolant from #6 piston.

There are also ports for more lines behind the thermostat, coming directly off the engine block on the front of the engine.

Manny rear engine buses have a 12 volt coolant pump plumbed into the heater lines. This ensures that the flow is sufficient to carry the heat needed with all the added restriction of heater cores, long lines, 90% elbows, ect.

The 12 volt pumps can be set to trigger, and start pumping by the same system that starts and stops a electric fan on a automotive radiator.
That same system is what also triggers the fans on the bus heaters.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 12:34 PM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

I was hoping to get the floor treated with Ospho and painted in the next few days, so I could let it dry during August as I am away, but I'm having a surprising amount of trouble finding Ospho at any local stores. I can find it on Amazon, but it's through a third party seller and wouldn't get here for over a week. There are a bunch of other options for rust treatment available at local stores, but from what I've read on the forum Ospho seems to be the one most people think is the best. I want to make sure and do this right, anyone have any alternatives they liked that Home Depot or Lowes would carry?

Also, planning on treating the frame and parts of the engine that are rusting with Ospho, any pros/cons to this?
Old 07-26-2015, 12:40 PM   #28
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
They don't have anything like ospho at my local HD or Lowes. But all the Ace Hardwares and True Value stores have it. Lots of auto supply shops may have it too.
Just look up your local auto paint supply store.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 12:49 PM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

I tried True Value and Do It Best, Ace is closed today, I'll try them tomorrow. The guy at the Sherwin Williams store knew what it was and said he could order it in, but it would take a week to get here.
Old 07-26-2015, 12:52 PM   #30
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Chassis: MVP
Engine: CAT 3116
I got mine from the local Benjamin Moore paint store, and the local ACE hardware store also has it.

Home Depot sells Corroseal (Corroseal Rust Converter | Metal Primer | Rust Paint) that works very well, but it is $$$.
Piersg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 01:03 PM   #31
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piersg View Post
I got mine from the local Benjamin Moore paint store, and the local ACE hardware store also has it.

Home Depot sells Corroseal (Corroseal Rust Converter | Metal Primer | Rust Paint) that works very well, but it is $$$.

Corroseal is sold online only at HomeDepot I was also under the impression it wasn't as good as Ospho based on a previous thread I was reading - can't remember the reason though. Is it actually just as good?
Old 07-26-2015, 01:24 PM   #32
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Chassis: MVP
Engine: CAT 3116
Interesting, my Home Depot here in Miami has it on the shelves. I have no idea if it is as good as Ospho or not. It looks like it is a converter and latex primer all in one as opposed to Ospho which is just a converter.

I used Ospho and it worked well.
Piersg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 02:14 PM   #33
Bus Nut

Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtran
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 71
Amazon routinely quotes longer times than actual for shipping, makes me wonder if its to get more people to sign up for Prime anyway when I ordered Ospho back in November it arrived the next day. Good Luck.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:38 PM   #34
Mini-Skoolie

Nice bus! I am looking foreword to watching your progress.
Emidd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 10:15 PM   #35
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: bluebird
HD offers "pick up at nearest store" option. You buy it on line & have it shipped to your choice of stores. Check & see if that saves time.
The-Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 05:04 AM   #36
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Breeze View Post
HD offers "pick up at nearest store" option. You buy it on line & have it shipped to your choice of stores. Check & see if that saves time.
It usually does. Last summer, I ordered a lot of stuff that way (to usually stop annoying the UPS guy since I lived in a 3d floor walk up).

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 02:15 PM   #37
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 8.2 Detroit Diesel
Rated Cap: 77
Great job keep up the good work, these things take time.
stevofor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 02:18 PM   #38
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooternj View Post
It usually does. Last summer, I ordered a lot of stuff that way (to usually stop annoying the UPS guy since I lived in a 3d floor walk up).

3 stories around here is a high rise!
We've got 1 elevator in our town, and it's in the courthouse!
Old 07-27-2015, 04:48 PM   #39
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmania View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooternj View Post
3 stories around here is a high rise!
We've got 1 elevator in our town, and it's in the courthouse!
I live in Atlantic County, most of our high rises are down by the ocean...and several of them are bankrupt, and empty, eyesores.

He wasn't thrilled when the 5 gallon pail of Bus-Kote and two gallons of primer were delivered. And, frankly, I don't blame him.

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 07:39 PM   #40
Mini-Skoolie

Ended up ordering the Ospho from Amazon. Hopefully it gets here in the next few days, it says it shipped today, and it's coming from RI to Upstate NY (where I am right now), so not far distance wise at least.

Spent some time prepping the floor for the Ospho, and my wife is working on getting the last of the stickers off the outside. A torch gets them off fast, but leaves a massive amount of residue. Goof Off on the residue sort of just smears it around, we're getting as much off as we can, hopefully it doesn't effect the paint job too much.

Took the Stop Sign assembly off. Had to drill out the metal insert that attached it to the side of the bus.

Oh, and it was wicked hot out today.