Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2016, 09:33 PM   #141
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
A bus is a looooong row to hoe. Good work on the windows.

Hey, you've got nice air bags.

Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:15 AM   #142
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post

Finally getting the walls pur together. Slow but getting there.

Excellent progress. Doesn't it feel good??
Docsgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:28 PM   #143
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Chassis: international
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docsgsxr View Post
Excellent progress. Doesn't it feel good??
Thank you and yes it does feel good.

Did a dry fit see how things fit/look
livinthelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:33 PM   #144
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
A bus is a looooong row to hoe. Good work on the windows.

Hey, you've got nice air bags.
Thanks. Gunna pull two more out. The very last two. One has a leak I can't fix but also putting a wall there for bedroom and will have small storage through back door. Don't really need or be able to use So will close them up and insulate them too.
Old 04-30-2016, 12:25 PM   #145
Skoolie

Hey there,

Is there a good video or book the goes into good detail on installing electrical and solar start to finish out there anyone can share.

I have looked around and I am still not done looking but keep running into install or build your own home or tinny house decoration. Thought Id ask while Im looking

I was told to run as much as possible on 12volt and use led lights (use less power) Still confused on some stuff so looking to do some research.

Thanks
Old 04-30-2016, 12:38 PM   #146
Bus Geek

Yeah, it's called Youtube. More wasted hours of solar installation demonstrated there than anywhere else.

It all depends on how you intend to make your build. Obviously 12 volt is already throughout your bus and you can simply tap leds into the system and use considerably less power. However you've got to remember that the power is coming from your engine battery.

If you're intending to go out into the boonies remember that your systems need backups, and your backups need backups.
Old 04-30-2016, 01:46 PM   #147
Skoolie

Quote:
Yeah, it's called Youtube. More wasted hours of solar installation demonstrated there than anywhere else.

It all depends on how you intend to make your build. Obviously 12 volt is already throughout your bus and you can simply tap leds into the system and use considerably less power. However you've got to remember that the power is coming from your engine battery.

If you're intending to go out into the boonies remember that your systems need backups, and your backups need backups.
What's not wasted man hours on there? Ok there is a few that are good videos.

Id rather not tie into the bus battery. Id like to have shore power with solar back up or visa versa.

At this point its all new to me. I am slowly getting it but still confused in spots that's were the detailed book / video comes in. I guess by detail I mean a dummy down version that explains step by step kind of like the dummy books but they don't have RV power that I could find. Not dummy videos of dummies... those are a dime a dozen.

So Id have shore power with solar back up or visa versa and then lantern / candle and campfire.

If those back ups don't work hopefully I was smart enough to camp next to a lake or river and id just toss the line back in and suck it up and suffer through a bad day of relaxing and fishing until help arrives
Old 04-30-2016, 01:52 PM   #148
Bus Geek

That's the spirit.

You see now. by that river you're talking about is when I extend the arm with the paddle wheel on it and start generating hydro power while parked by the river. Could be altered and powered to catch smelt. Yup, I'd be sleeping and a log would float by and catch my paddle wheel and drag the whole affair into the river.
Old 04-30-2016, 02:12 PM   #149
Skoolie

Quote:
That's the spirit.

You see now. by that river you're talking about is when I extend the arm with the paddle wheel on it and start generating hydro power while parked by the river. Could be altered and powered to catch smelt. Yup, I'd be sleeping and a log would float by and catch my paddle wheel and drag the whole affair into the river.
Go for the house boat conversion then.

Oh darn I "forgot" to charge the phone when I had the chance so help was never called... Guess work will have to wait.
Old 04-30-2016, 02:14 PM   #150
Skoolie

So does that mean you don't know any good videos? Not that I don't like talking about a having back up plans. Just have to get out there first.
Old 04-30-2016, 04:08 PM   #151
Bus Geek

You may have to purposely watch a number of videos from at least three separate authors to get a more better picture. You know, more better is almost 3-D. It depends a lot on the skill sets you currently have because the learning curve usually costs each of us personally, in time and money.

So no, I don't have any specific videos to recommend but you'll sure get an amazing choice there.

Yeah, I'm thinking of actually cutting the umbilical and venturing out further than my extension cords will take me. I don't have a power system without 110v, and I don't think it's a good idea for me to get used to using the engine battery, at least until I install LEDs.
Still keeping it simple. Got my oil lamp for backup. Making sourdough breads from whole sprouted grains (whole wheat berries are called chicken feed). It was sprouted wheat, spouted barley, wheat flour with sourdough fermentation and a couple maybe three tbsp turmeric. Yellow bread, but rises well. It's course, but maybe I didn't mix it enough. There's your sidetrack cooking show for today. Return to your regularly sponsored programming.
Old 04-30-2016, 04:16 PM   #152
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
The best bus conversion on YouTube would be the Pimentals or Lewis' Transcendence.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 04:20 PM   #153
Bus Geek

That's why you need a backup stationary bicycle generator. You can charge your phones in pouring down rain in the middle of the night, unlike solar.

I don't have house batteries. I haven't been able to make a decision about the type of batteries, and then the house charging system is often over $1k. Then if you get solar it's at least another $1k, probably more if you're serious about being green.

You know, if this bus floated it would be pretty cool as a houseboat. There's no law against school bus yellow boats is there? Wait, there probably is. Go ahead... oh yeah, different states. Slap on a couple zink plates and hit the open water.
Old 04-30-2016, 04:27 PM   #154
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
My wife bought a book when we started our electrical (more because I said I got this ) and after explaining (in my terms verses her library/internet study) she said I don't understand? And lost time trying to explain? I am not an electrician by any means and know more than I wanted because my job has always required me to be around and deal with sparky's.
The book is MANAGING 12v by HAROLD BARRE
It has a lot of info. In it in plain language and covers solar and wind power.
I have thought about a couple of small wind generators on the hood or the front fenders (I don't want holes in my roof yet) to charge the house bank while on the road.
I want my house everything to be seperate from my bus as wired from the factory everything.
That way if I have a house problem then it is in the house and i can always crank up and go home to figure it out.
If it is a starting problem then I know it is in the original bus system and I have a fully functional place to stay until I can figure it out and fix it.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 06:41 PM   #155
Bus Geek

I was a pretend electrician once, wiring breaker boxes in a trailer factory. Not that hard but extremely repetitive. I don't mind working on 110 volt without turning it off, but 220 is a different kind of buzz. 110 make you jump. 220 makes you wonder how you got there.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:23 PM   #156
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
The best bus conversion on YouTube would be the Pimentals or Lewis' Transcendence.
Thank you ill check them out.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:27 PM   #157
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
My wife bought a book when we started our electrical (more because I said I got this ) and after explaining (in my terms verses her library/internet study) she said I don't understand? And lost time trying to explain? I am not an electrician by any means and know more than I wanted because my job has always required me to be around and deal with sparky's.
The book is MANAGING 12v by HAROLD BARRE
It has a lot of info. In it in plain language and covers solar and wind power.
I have thought about a couple of small wind generators on the hood or the front fenders (I don't want holes in my roof yet) to charge the house bank while on the road.
I want my house everything to be seperate from my bus as wired from the factory everything.
That way if I have a house problem then it is in the house and i can always crank up and go home to figure it out.
If it is a starting problem then I know it is in the original bus system and I have a fully functional place to stay until I can figure it out and fix it.
Thank you. Ill check the book out. I havethe same thoughts for keeping the bus and house side on there own deals. Just seams right to me anyway
Old 04-30-2016, 08:32 PM   #158
Skoolie

Quote:

I don't mind working on 110 volt without turning it off, but 220 is a different kind of buzz. 110 make you jump. 220 makes you wonder how you got there.
I just invisioned every AFV (and youtube) video i have ever saw of people getting shocked. I know its not right to laugh but still....
Old 04-30-2016, 08:50 PM   #159
Bus Geek

It sure is an adrenaline rush. It never happens when you're expecting it.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:03 AM   #160
Skoolie

Its been slow going.

Got 2nd set of bunks up

Still got some wall work to do.

Got bathroom walls up

Bathroom wall were sink will be. Outlets put in.

The opposite wall. Put fiberglass insulation in wall between walls help with sound and fill in holes the boards left. Will also trim out the windows. Can't remembered if I said before but the wood is pallets. Broke them down cleaned them then stain or paint. That is a LOT of work as a pose to go buy wood but its free

Question... In top right of picture below. What would be good to use for trim for the curves to hide my bad cuts?

For those that went like me and used 2*4s for frames instead of 1*2 or 2*3 did you come close to bus weight or did you still have room when a said and done?

Well that's all for now. Thanks for looking.