Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2017, 02:01 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
nice lookin rig!!!!! you guys got a good start goin on that!!!
- Christopher

cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 02:02 PM   #22
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 5.9L Diesel Engine
Rated Cap: 83
Nice looking bus! The underbody storage is a huge score! Love the Thomas MVP bus. I am converting one right now, although I do have a different engine.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:13 PM   #23
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatman View Post
Hey M, my short bus came from Katy. #811.
That one was on our South Trans. lot for three years and HARDLY used! It had a brake issue on the driver's side rear axle, but got it fixed two years ago. As I recall, it ran a bit rough on start-up.

M
Old 02-15-2017, 08:50 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Engine: CAT 3126b 210hp, MT643
Rated Cap: 84
Bus #

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1031A1 View Post
you wouldn't know what number the bus was by chance would you? I work for Katy ISD, and curious to find out if that bus is one I've driven in the past........

M
I think it is bus number 337. I will check when I get home. There is a sign saying "Your bus driver is Mr. Woods."
atx200416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 01:47 AM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

Selling seats and Removing the Floor

Today we recycled the metal from the seats. It was a place where we pulled on a scale, unloaded and then pulled back on the scale. They only gave us $30. I was happy to get rid of them, but did I get screwed? Is all that metal worth more than $30? We stripped the seats to bare metal. I think there were 25 seats. We kept a couple of seats. It was like 600 lbs of scrap metal.

We also started removing the floor after a late start. We visited family and didn't get home until 10pm.

It's cold so I fired up the kerosene heater which warmed the whole bus to the perfect temperature with the roof hatches open and a window open. We removed the screws on the floor. Even this was more difficult than anticipated. I started to try rip up the plywood. The plywood is nailed to the floor and it is going to be harder than I thought. The plywood rips when I try pry it up. Broke my hammer too.

We are too tired to continue tonight. We only got like 3 hours of sleep last night because we stayed up until 5am making tamales.

Does anyone have any tips on the plywood removal? I think they glued the plywood and nailed it.

Old 02-16-2017, 03:17 AM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin McCormick View Post
Nice looking bus! The underbody storage is a huge score! Love the Thomas MVP bus. I am converting one right now, although I do have a different engine.
I love your blog! Thank you for all the information. My bus is identical except for a few things. I think my wiring looks worse than yours. They did some funny stuff over the years. I too want to clean it up. Are you in North Texas?
Old 02-16-2017, 04:17 AM   #27
Skoolie

Last time I chexked, scrape metal was bringing $3 & change. You didn't get shorted. More importantly, how much did the bus weigh?
BigDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 04:25 AM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDavid View Post
Last time I chexked, scrape metal was bringing $3 & change. You didn't get shorted. More importantly, how much did the bus weigh?
Thanks. I feel better. I really was just happy to get rid of them. The bus weighs right under 21,000 according to their scale. Is the bus weight real important?
Old 02-16-2017, 04:34 AM   #29
Bus Crazy

Woods took over my route when I went, albeit for a short period of time, to Houston Metro. I CAN CONFIRM that's my baby y'all have. I drove her for three wonderful years on a route from Seven Lakes Junior High and Cross Creek in Fulshear. I recognize the paint "tear" I did by accident on the rear header in the last set of pics you've posted. That engine I babied and tried my best to take good care of her. All the gauges work due to me turning wrenches myself on her. The engine was in-framed at 127K miles. The tranny is solid. I miss her... When starting her up in cold weather ALWAYS let the glow plugs warm up three times (key over then reset) before starting, and NEVER hit the accelerator. She'll automatically hit higher r.p.m.s after initial start-up and back down automatically when she warms up, just let her do her thing. When treated well she'll be loyal and never let you down.

Some details that will need addressing:

1. Replace motor mounts A.S.A.P.!!!! When you open up the bay door in front of the radiator you see the small hole in the black air dam? That's a nut from the motor mounts going bad. Get new mounts QUICK!!

2. Replace the belt tensioner A.S.A.P.!!! The tensioner was starting to go bad the last month I drove her.

3. Notice the belt cover rubbing on the rear bumper? There's a reason for that. I can't remember what the problem is, but it needs addressing soon.

4. She uses oil at the rate of about a quart every 2K miles. It's about average for that year engine. If maintained well, she'll out live all of us.

You'll also notice the wire to the front emergency hatch is cut. The hatch is broken. I'd be tempted just to remove it and sheet-metal over it.

If you have any other questions about her service years, let me know.

M
Old 02-16-2017, 05:17 AM   #30
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Woods took over my route when I went, albeit for a short period of time, to Houston Metro. I CAN CONFIRM that's my baby y'all have. I drove her for three wonderful years on a route from Seven Lakes Junior High and Cross Creek in Fulshear. I recognize the paint "tear" I did by accident on the rear header in the last set of pics you've posted. That engine I babied and tried my best to take good care of her. All the gauges work due to me turning wrenches myself on her. The engine was in-framed at 127K miles. The tranny is solid. I miss her... When starting her up in cold weather ALWAYS let the glow plugs warm up three times (key over then reset) before starting, and NEVER hit the accelerator. She'll automatically hit higher r.p.m.s after initial start-up and back down automatically when she warms up, just let her do her thing. When treated well she'll be loyal and never let you down.

Some details that will need addressing:

1. Replace motor mounts A.S.A.P.!!!! When you open up the bay door in front of the radiator you see the small hole in the black air dam? That's a nut from the motor mounts going bad. Get new mounts QUICK!!

2. Replace the belt tensioner A.S.A.P.!!! The tensioner was starting to go bad the last month I drove her.

3. Notice the belt cover rubbing on the rear bumper? There's a reason for that. I can't remember what the problem is, but it needs addressing soon.

4. She uses oil at the rate of about a quart every 2K miles. It's about average for that year engine. If maintained well, she'll out live all of us.

You'll also notice the wire to the front emergency hatch is cut. The hatch is broken. I'd be tempted just to remove it and sheet-metal over it.

If you have any other questions about her service years, let me know.

M
I think it is awesome that I know someone that drove this bus. It is your bus. All the problems match up.

Problems 1 & 3 you listed are related. The engine mounts are fine. It is the radiator mount that is bad. The mount is actually broken. This is causing the radiator to lean to one side allowing the fan to hit the air shroud and for the nut to go through the air dam. The leaning radiator and fan shroud is allowing the belt cover to touch the bumper. It is all connected. It looks as if it has been this way for a long time.

And you are right about the belt tensioner. It is going bad. Actually all the belts could use replacing as well. The serpentine belt looks ok, but the fan belt and the water pump belt need replacing.

It was in the 20s the day we bought her. Cycled the grid heater twice and she did her thing. Started like a champ.

Are you positive it was in-framed? She does have quite a bit of blow by. Or is that normal for this bus? After a trip the back is speckled with oil.
Old 02-16-2017, 05:25 AM   #31
Mini-Skoolie

Also the roof hatch is broken like you said. When was the last time you drove the bus?
Old 02-16-2017, 07:28 AM   #32
Bus Nut

Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Quote:
That one was on our South Trans. lot for three years and HARDLY used! It had a brake issue on the driver's side rear axle, but got it fixed two years ago. As I recall, it ran a bit rough on start-up.

M
The guy I bought it from in Alvin must have straightened the running rough issue up. It runs great. Even at start up. The Katy mechanics robbed the blinker assembly by just cutting off the wires at the column. I bought a new assembly, just haven't installed it yet.
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:43 AM   #33

Curious, why Diesel over a gas engine? I recently bought a Bus from the Dallas ISD 1988 72 passenger it has a 366....I'm wondering if that's going to be strong enough in the long run. May go look at one that is a 1999 454 Gas ...thoughts?
b12lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 11:35 AM   #34
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by atx200416 View Post
I think it is awesome that I know someone that drove this bus. It is your bus. All the problems match up.

Problems 1 & 3 you listed are related. The engine mounts are fine. It is the radiator mount that is bad. The mount is actually broken. This is causing the radiator to lean to one side allowing the fan to hit the air shroud and for the nut to go through the air dam. The leaning radiator and fan shroud is allowing the belt cover to touch the bumper. It is all connected. It looks as if it has been this way for a long time.

And you are right about the belt tensioner. It is going bad. Actually all the belts could use replacing as well. The serpentine belt looks ok, but the fan belt and the water pump belt need replacing.

It was in the 20s the day we bought her. Cycled the grid heater twice and she did her thing. Started like a champ.

Are you positive it was in-framed? She does have quite a bit of blow by. Or is that normal for this bus? After a trip the back is speckled with oil.
That's my Baby Girl! The blow-by tube is on the passenger side IIRC. She's always had that even after the in-frame. All the injectors are new as of 127K miles, new head gaskets, heads re-maned, new timing chain, new etc. In frame was finished February '14. Took TWO months to get her done. WHAT a pain that was. Just before Christmas Break she decided to just not start at the elementary school AFTER the kids were on board. Had to wait for a spare bus. Shop got her in and started tearing her down. One of the injector tips blew open and she had hydrostatic lock. From then on I pampered her. Other drivers would floor their engines when it was cold, but I intentionally let Baby Girl warm up on her terms. Everyone else thought I was crazy until they found out I've been an A.S.E. certified mechanic. The radiator mounts and company were starting to fail in '13. I BEGGED the shop to replace them, to no avail. The blow-by is why you need to keep an eye on the oil after driving her for a day on the interstate. I'd run her from Katy to downtown Houston and back on school trips, knowing she'd need a quart before putting her to bed for the day. Those trips were about 80 miles or so. In addition she HATES to run wide open throttle. She's happiest about 2200 to 2300 r.p.m. M.P.G. should be about 9 or so at that range. SIGNIFICANT fuel drop-off above 2400 r.p.m.s, down to about 6 or so. Trust me I've done the math with her.

You'll also need to replace the plastic fan as well, the blades have ground into the shroud to beyond repair and impacted cooling abilities. I swapped the thermostat to a 170* opener to help with the problem. For her sake, keep the cooler thermostat. She'll run very cool in the summer. That should help you avoid any over-heating issues. The shroud is fiberglass, so easy fix.

Once those issues are properly repaired she'll run forever with good maintenance.

Oh, I last drove her in May '16.

I sure do miss her! Take care of my Baby Girl!

Oh yeah, one last thing, the bay doors are VERY fussy IF you don't know what you're doing. There's one door where the upper latch on the coach work has only ONE screw holding the latch on. Be VERY gentle with it until y'all get the rusted/broken screw out and replaced. IIRC it's on the passenger side rear door. It's been a while since I've seen her, but that issue is there on one of the latches. The passenger side front cargo door prefers to be closed with the front edge first and then flex the rest of the door before turning the handle. The passenger side rear cargo door is missing the parts from the handle to the back of the door. Y'all will need to find those parts. Chalk's Bus Parts, namely J.T. in parts, can help you with all this. He's a good guy to work with over there. He knows that bus almost as well as I do.

M

BTW, I have some parts for that bus lying here on my computer desk. There's a couple of stories behind these parts as well........
Old 02-16-2017, 11:56 AM   #35
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Never coached any teams, not even junior soccer
Chassis: I'm still figuring out what this means
Engine: CAT diesel
Rated Cap: No caps, only hats.
Best Thread Award!

By the way, this is the best threaded conversation I've read on this site! Super interesting and just so cool.
spenceronehalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 02:24 PM   #36
Bus Nut

Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by spenceronehalf View Post
By the way, this is the best threaded conversation I've read on this site! Super interesting and just so cool.
I have to agree Speceronehalf. He's got a little knowledge that may help more than one locals here.
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 03:12 PM   #37
Skoolie

Engine: Cummins 5.9L Diesel Engine
Rated Cap: 83
Quote:
I love your blog! Thank you for all the information. My bus is identical except for a few things. I think my wiring looks worse than yours. They did some funny stuff over the years. I too want to clean it up. Are you in North Texas?
Thanks! Yea, in the DFW area.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:53 PM   #38
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenceronehalf View Post
This is the first time I've ever documented any project I've done and we are having fun with it.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:47 PM   #39
Mini-Skoolie

My Ride Today

So you guys are aware of our bus project. Jose and I actually drive city buses for a living. We drive for Capital Metro in Austin, TX. I have been driving buses since I was 18 years old. I'm 31 now. I drove school buses for Lake Travis ISD for 4 years while I was attending college. I have been driving city buses the rest of the time.

This isn't just a project. I am crazy about buses. I always have been since an early age. The bigger the better. My favorite buses to drive are the 45ft MCI motor coaches that we have at Cap Metro.

I am at work now and here is my ride today. A 2001 40ft Gillig Low Floor. It has a Cummins engine paired with a Voith DIWA automatic transmission. It is one of the remaining few 2001 year models we have left.

Old 02-16-2017, 08:57 PM   #40
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
So you guys are aware of our bus project. Jose and I actually drive city buses for a living. We drive for Capital Metro in Austin, TX. I have been driving buses since I was 18 years old. I'm 31 now. I drove school buses for Lake Travis ISD for 4 years while I was attending college. I have been driving city buses the rest of the time.

This isn't just a project. I am crazy about buses. I always have been since an early age. The bigger the better. My favorite buses to drive are the 45ft MCI motor coaches that we have at Cap Metro.

I am at work now and here is my ride today. A 2001 40ft Gillig Low Floor. It has a Cummins engine paired with a Voith DIWA automatic transmission. It is one of the remaining few 2001 year models we have left.

THIS!! is totally cool ..

im totally into busses myself.. have been since grade school..
I always sat up front and asked the school bus drivers about our busses.. most pf them didnt care.. then when I started high school we got a new driver and a new bus.. (back in 83) the driver and her partner were also into busses, so she would invite me out to her house.. she had 2 of her own.. I brought her Superior home one night after I got my driver license.. my father forbid me from ever having a school bus... and forbid me from hanging with them.. I never brought a bus home till I got my own much later. but did see them and had a blast..

I got the pleasure of driving my friends' Gary and jim;s brand mnew Prevost camper (2004) back and forth from ohio to florida every year and occasionally other places for them... gary scared himself with it before leaving the parking lot when it wasd new and never drove it after.. I did..

Currently I have my 2 skoolies.. neither are converted to living or camping... my carpenter is a mobile Tech development lab... (DERVRANDOM)... and my red Bluebird (RedByrd) is pretty much a daily driver like most people drive their car... drove it to work and to starbucks today....

love seeing fellow Bus enthusiasts!!
-Christopher
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote