Old 02-15-2017, 03:01 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
nice lookin rig!!!!! you guys got a good start goin on that!!!
- Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 03:02 PM   #22
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 5.9L Diesel Engine
Rated Cap: 83
Nice looking bus! The underbody storage is a huge score! Love the Thomas MVP bus. I am converting one right now, although I do have a different engine.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:13 PM   #23
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatman View Post
Hey M, my short bus came from Katy. #811.
That one was on our South Trans. lot for three years and HARDLY used! It had a brake issue on the driver's side rear axle, but got it fixed two years ago. As I recall, it ran a bit rough on start-up.

M
Old 02-15-2017, 09:50 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Engine: CAT 3126b 210hp, MT643
Rated Cap: 84
Bus #

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1031A1 View Post
you wouldn't know what number the bus was by chance would you? I work for Katy ISD, and curious to find out if that bus is one I've driven in the past........

M
I think it is bus number 337. I will check when I get home. There is a sign saying "Your bus driver is Mr. Woods."
atx200416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 02:47 AM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

Selling seats and Removing the Floor

Today we recycled the metal from the seats. It was a place where we pulled on a scale, unloaded and then pulled back on the scale. They only gave us $30. I was happy to get rid of them, but did I get screwed? Is all that metal worth more than $30? We stripped the seats to bare metal. I think there were 25 seats. We kept a couple of seats. It was like 600 lbs of scrap metal.

We also started removing the floor after a late start. We visited family and didn't get home until 10pm.

It's cold so I fired up the kerosene heater which warmed the whole bus to the perfect temperature with the roof hatches open and a window open. We removed the screws on the floor. Even this was more difficult than anticipated. I started to try rip up the plywood. The plywood is nailed to the floor and it is going to be harder than I thought. The plywood rips when I try pry it up. Broke my hammer too.

We are too tired to continue tonight. We only got like 3 hours of sleep last night because we stayed up until 5am making tamales.

Does anyone have any tips on the plywood removal? I think they glued the plywood and nailed it.

Old 02-16-2017, 04:17 AM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin McCormick View Post
Nice looking bus! The underbody storage is a huge score! Love the Thomas MVP bus. I am converting one right now, although I do have a different engine.
I love your blog! Thank you for all the information. My bus is identical except for a few things. I think my wiring looks worse than yours. They did some funny stuff over the years. I too want to clean it up. Are you in North Texas?
Old 02-16-2017, 05:17 AM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

Last time I chexked, scrape metal was bringing $3 & change. You didn't get shorted. More importantly, how much did the bus weigh?
BigDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 05:25 AM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDavid View Post
Last time I chexked, scrape metal was bringing $3 & change. You didn't get shorted. More importantly, how much did the bus weigh?
Thanks. I feel better. I really was just happy to get rid of them. The bus weighs right under 21,000 according to their scale. Is the bus weight real important?
Old 02-16-2017, 05:34 AM   #29
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Woods took over my route when I went, albeit for a short period of time, to Houston Metro. I CAN CONFIRM that's my baby y'all have. I drove her for three wonderful years on a route from Seven Lakes Junior High and Cross Creek in Fulshear. I recognize the paint "tear" I did by accident on the rear header in the last set of pics you've posted. That engine I babied and tried my best to take good care of her. All the gauges work due to me turning wrenches myself on her. The engine was in-framed at 127K miles. The tranny is solid. I miss her... When starting her up in cold weather ALWAYS let the glow plugs warm up three times (key over then reset) before starting, and NEVER hit the accelerator. She'll automatically hit higher r.p.m.s after initial start-up and back down automatically when she warms up, just let her do her thing. When treated well she'll be loyal and never let you down.

Some details that will need addressing:

1. Replace motor mounts A.S.A.P.!!!! When you open up the bay door in front of the radiator you see the small hole in the black air dam? That's a nut from the motor mounts going bad. Get new mounts QUICK!!

2. Replace the belt tensioner A.S.A.P.!!! The tensioner was starting to go bad the last month I drove her.

3. Notice the belt cover rubbing on the rear bumper? There's a reason for that. I can't remember what the problem is, but it needs addressing soon.

4. She uses oil at the rate of about a quart every 2K miles. It's about average for that year engine. If maintained well, she'll out live all of us.

You'll also notice the wire to the front emergency hatch is cut. The hatch is broken. I'd be tempted just to remove it and sheet-metal over it.

If you have any other questions about her service years, let me know.

M
Old 02-16-2017, 06:17 AM   #30
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1031A1 View Post
Woods took over my route when I went, albeit for a short period of time, to Houston Metro. I CAN CONFIRM that's my baby y'all have. I drove her for three wonderful years on a route from Seven Lakes Junior High and Cross Creek in Fulshear. I recognize the paint "tear" I did by accident on the rear header in the last set of pics you've posted. That engine I babied and tried my best to take good care of her. All the gauges work due to me turning wrenches myself on her. The engine was in-framed at 127K miles. The tranny is solid. I miss her... When starting her up in cold weather ALWAYS let the glow plugs warm up three times (key over then reset) before starting, and NEVER hit the accelerator. She'll automatically hit higher r.p.m.s after initial start-up and back down automatically when she warms up, just let her do her thing. When treated well she'll be loyal and never let you down.

Some details that will need addressing:

1. Replace motor mounts A.S.A.P.!!!! When you open up the bay door in front of the radiator you see the small hole in the black air dam? That's a nut from the motor mounts going bad. Get new mounts QUICK!!

2. Replace the belt tensioner A.S.A.P.!!! The tensioner was starting to go bad the last month I drove her.

3. Notice the belt cover rubbing on the rear bumper? There's a reason for that. I can't remember what the problem is, but it needs addressing soon.

4. She uses oil at the rate of about a quart every 2K miles. It's about average for that year engine. If maintained well, she'll out live all of us.

You'll also notice the wire to the front emergency hatch is cut. The hatch is broken. I'd be tempted just to remove it and sheet-metal over it.

If you have any other questions about her service years, let me know.

M
I think it is awesome that I know someone that drove this bus. It is your bus. All the problems match up.

Problems 1 & 3 you listed are related. The engine mounts are fine. It is the radiator mount that is bad. The mount is actually broken. This is causing the radiator to lean to one side allowing the fan to hit the air shroud and for the nut to go through the air dam. The leaning radiator and fan shroud is allowing the belt cover to touch the bumper. It is all connected. It looks as if it has been this way for a long time.

And you are right about the belt tensioner. It is going bad. Actually all the belts could use replacing as well. The serpentine belt looks ok, but the fan belt and the water pump belt need replacing.

It was in the 20s the day we bought her. Cycled the grid heater twice and she did her thing. Started like a champ.

Are you positive it was in-framed? She does have quite a bit of blow by. Or is that normal for this bus? After a trip the back is speckled with oil.