Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2017, 10:18 PM   #61
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
By the time your done you should know as much about it as I do (provided I remember everything on my list that has since decided to grow legs and run away).....

M

Old 02-20-2017, 09:06 PM   #62
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126b 210hp, MT643
Rated Cap: 84
Floor

So last night after work I decided to work on the bus. We had severe weather and tornado warnings so I had to wait inside until the storm passed. I didn't get out to the bus until 1am. I bought a 42 inch wrecking bar from Home Depot to pry up the floor. This did the trick. It still isn't an easy job. Took me 15 minutes to get one big sheet of plywood out. I was drenched in sweat. I decided to stop because it was late. I know the rest of the plywood should be easier now that I can get under it without any problems. I am off tomorrow and Wednesday. We should be able to remove the rest of the floor and hopefully tackle the ceiling. I will post pictures.
atx200416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 09:10 PM   #63
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Hope Austin was OK...San Antonio caught hell yesterday with several tornadoes.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 09:14 PM   #64
Mini-Skoolie

Unloader Valve

Also I have another project to tackle. The air compressor cuts out at 120psi then about 10 seconds later starts building pressure for 10 seconds and then cuts out again. It keeps cycling on and off. It isn't staying unloaded. The Bendix trouble shooting guide suggests that the unloader valve on the compressor should be serviced. So I ordered a Bendix Unloader Kit and I am going to install that to try fix this problem.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:40 PM   #65
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Hope Austin was OK...San Antonio caught hell yesterday with several tornadoes.
There were two tornadoes in Williamson County which is north of us. We were under a tornado warning and told to take shelter. The wind was blowing from several directions with gusts up to 50 mph. We could hear the rain hitting the windows on one side of the house and then several seconds later it was hitting the windows on the opposite side of the house. I didn't get a chance to check, but I bet we have many broken tree limbs on our 4.5 acres. The wind was just amazing.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:09 AM   #66
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
ATX, Baby has three roof leaks, one at the front header, one at the rear header and one just behind the front roof hatch. Hope this helps!

Also, I'm dying to see how good the steel floor is. I tried my best to keep her clean and water free on the floors with my students. I suspect the Kindergarteners were my messiest students by the way you describe pulling up the floor. I know one person that was VERY messy with his water bottle. I tried my best to keep him together, sorry I couldn't do better.

M
Old 02-23-2017, 02:04 AM   #67
Mini-Skoolie

Progress

So we had time to work on the bus. We got a lot of work done, but not as much as I hoped. We started by ripping up the rubber from the floor. We removed quite a bit of the rubber. We removed the second piece of plywood. Then I decided to try remove the plywood with the rubber still on. It works, you just have to use a razor blade to cut the rubber at seam when you get the plywood free.

We removed all of the floor except at the very front of the bus. I have to remove the driver's seat. We will get to this maybe next week.

The floor looks amazing. 98% rust free. Some of the pictures look like the floor has rust, but it is just dirt and mud. We really lucked out. No weak spots. The little rust is very superficial and can be sanded off.

Next we removed the metal channels above the windows. Then we started removing ceiling screws. We removed quite a bit the first night. So many screws. Some screws come out easy and others wouldn't budge. I just left the ones I couldn't get. On day 2 all we did was remove screws. We spent 6 hours straight just removing screws in the ceiling and the walls.

We have probably 3/4 of the screws out. We are so sore and couldn't keep going. Both of our arms hurt from holding the drill up to the ceiling. We also ended up both having battle scars. Jose has a gash on his leg and a cut on his hand. I have two bruises on my leg and quarter sized blister from holding the drill.

This was our starting picture.

Jose removing the center piece of rubber.

Removing more rubber.

Me popping out the nails holding the plywood.

Floor.

This is what we have left of the floor to remove.

The side channels removed.

Me removing ceiling screws.

The amount of ceiling screws removed the first night.

The amount of screws removed the second day.

Just a cool pic reminding us that she carried students not too long ago.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:17 AM   #68
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Engine: Cummins 5.9L Diesel Engine
Rated Cap: 83
That floor looks like its in great shape!Score! That is such a good feeling, pulling up the floor and seeing clean metal.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:22 AM   #69
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: AmTran International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: Navistar 7.6L
square drive screws are awesome.
Phillips head and slotted screws should be outlawed.
DoubleO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 06:14 PM   #70
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 65 pax
Looks great! You got the hard part done [emoji4][emoji590]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WanderWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 06:47 PM   #71
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin McCormick View Post
That floor looks like its in great shape!Score! That is such a good feeling, pulling up the floor and seeing clean metal.
I know. I am so happy! Your blog made pulling up the floor and taking down the ceiling too darn easy!!! Lol.
Old 02-26-2017, 06:50 PM   #72
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleO7 View Post
square drive screws are awesome.
Phillips head and slotted screws should be outlawed.
Originally I was so happy I had a Thomas with screws instead of thousands of rivets, but this is proving to be hard. It looks like a couple of roof panels had been taken down before. That means lots of screws are already half stripped. Most of the roof panels were very easy.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:07 PM   #73
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by atx200416 View Post
Originally I was so happy I had a Thomas with screws instead of thousands of rivets, but this is proving to be hard. It looks like a couple of roof panels had been taken down before. That means lots of screws are already half stripped. Most of the roof panels were very easy.
If you gotta, just whoop out an angle grinder!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 10:01 PM   #74
Mini-Skoolie

Progress

Ok. I haven't been doing a good job posting our progress. We finally have the ceiling down. The good news is that I believe there are only two leaks. We didn't find any mold on the insulation at all. The first leak is somewhere up front. Possibly at one of the front lights or the radio antenna on the roof. Water drips onto the dash. The other is at a roof hatch. I have decided I am not putting the original ceiling back up. Any ideas what to put on the ceiling?

As for the engine, I was scared to death that I had a blown head gasket or worse. She just had an in-frame about 25,000 miles ago. I was seeing bubbles in the overflow reservoir and sometimes coolant would spew out the radiator cap. The bubbles weren't consistent and only happened every once in awhile. Used a block tester for Diesel engines and it found no traces of combustion gases in the coolant. Long story short and many hours later I found the culprit. It was the radiator cap. It had no rubber seal left. So every time the coolant pressure would get above 10 psi it would spew some coolant and it was allowing air into the system. That's why I was seeing bubbles in the overflow every once in awhile. Replaced the radiator cap and had to bleed the air out of the system and everything is working as it should. I was given quite a scare though.

Now we have to remove the side panels and insulation. We are also scraping off decals when we have time. Then paint.

How many of you took all your windows out to paint? Should I just leave them in or take them out, paint and re-seal?
Old 07-09-2018, 10:27 AM   #75
Almost There

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward Senator
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Hey guys,

I just found you here. I am looking to bid on the same bus. Are you on instagram or YouTube? I would love to catch up with your conversion.

Thanks,
Celeste
RevyRev is offline   Reply With Quote