Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2017, 11:28 AM   #201
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
R and R'd my grill trim when I painted. A bunch of nuts holding it on, ez off, ez on.

Old 06-18-2017, 12:03 PM   #202
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Hey Don and Mary.

That doesn't sound bad at all. I've seen some people paint over the shiny parts and it doesn't look all that bad either. The thing is these 20 year old shiny parts aren't so shiny anymore. It's incredibly hard to sand around certain items too.

I think I'll do it your way and try to keep all the shiny parts shiny for now. If it doesn't look right I can always adjust its color later. Thanks.

My paint job won't be pretty, but it won't be yellow anymore. I'm going to wear just my base coat for a while on this bus. I don't have enough artistic ability to do a nice paint job like yours.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:07 AM   #203
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
To anybody that has already painted a FE or RE, did any of you simply remove the plastic molding (supposed to be chrome plastic) from the front of the bus under the windshield? I can't see where it adds a lot to this bus asthetically, and I can't sand the area adequately enough to prevent eventual peeling. I'm thinking of just removing the molding completely. It's likely the molding won't reattach correctly if I remove it.

For now it's more interesting working on the exterior of the bus than working on the inside.
Yes, I removed mine and put it back. About half of the screws required drilling. There are far too many screws holding it on so once the molding was off, I used vice grips to grab the drilled screws and unscrewed the bodies. Going back on I just skipped every other hole. Made sure to use the remaining screws on the ends and middle at the very least.

Use an impact driver and they will come out easier.

Once I get to the roof raise part of the project, I'll take the rub rails off, all of the reflectors, lights, etc. like you and ECCB are doing and paint it correctly. The first time was quick and dirty just to get it tagged. It'll be a nice base coat for the second coat so no worries.

Repaint the whole bus, clean up the rub rails, etc. I should look for pics of skoolies with contrasting rub rail paint jobs. See how that looks. I'm sticking with the dark hammered green and almond cream colors but some nice accents would be good. My inner gay guy needs to talk to a real gay guy and see what we can come up with.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:09 AM   #204
Bus Geek

Thanks Bob. It seemed like you accomplished your paint job so fast. It's taken me weeks just to get through the phase of sanding of all the large broad areas. The weather has played a big part in my slowness. It seems it's either drizzling or 90*+ weather this year.

I removed the bus eyebrows front and rear, and yes and impact driver makes all the difference while trying to get those old screws out intact. I had to dremil some of the screws and others just broke off.

With the chrome or foux chrome bits and pieces up front, I hadn't wanted to remove some of those items for fear the screws would break off and I wouldn't be able to reattach them. That front plastic chrome molding has taken on kind of a rainbow color anyway.

If I ever get this paint job done I'm going to take off and flaunt my new color on a trip to my favorite hot springs.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:18 AM   #205
Bus Geek

Quote:
Thanks Bob. It seemed like you accomplished your paint job so fast. It's taken me weeks just to get through the phase of sanding of all the large broad areas. The weather has played a big part in my slowness. It seems it's either drizzling or 90*+ weather this year.
Had to. Temp tags were good for 30 days. I wanted real tags. I needed real tags in order to park on base too.

Quote:
or foux chrome bits and pieces up front,
Mine aren't faux chrome. Well, at least not plastic. Mine are steel? Made of metal anyway.

Quote:
If I ever get this paint job done I'm going to take off and flaunt my new color on a trip to my favorite hot springs.
And where would that be? I've been to Yellowstone but never in a hot spring. But then I don't get the hot spring and sauna thing. I like my water warm 78°+ but not hot either. 102° is enough in a hot tub. 104° is too hot for me.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:54 AM   #206
Bus Geek

Here's the hot springs; The turn off to my favorite hot spring in on Hwy 126 between Blue River and McKenzie Bridge. You'd be looking for Cougar Dam Road heading south off 126, then a right turn on Aufderheidi Road will take you to the top of the dam. The road divides again with camping to the left across the top of the dam, and the hot springs to the right several miles further along the lake. There are some rather small signs indicating the springs areas and a large gravel parking area near the 1/2 mile trail head to the springs. A parking permit is required, and the forestry service in that area is quite antimate about catching anyone parking in the area without the permit. The hike is fairly level.
You'll see signs indicating the springs are a "clothing optional" hot spring. The water temperature is quite comfortable and has low sulpher. Some people drink the water.

This is not a commercialized hot spring. These are pools built up from the natural rock in the area, and are maintained by the individuals soaking in them. There are usually 5 to 7 pools, each a little cooler than the previous pool. You can lay in the pools and stare up at the tops of old growth trees.

This was a big hippy area back in the 60's. It's about an hour east of Eugene and seems to be a favorite of the impoverished college crowd. It never fails to be an interesting trip. Lots of good people to meet there.

I'm pretty sure the water isn't to hot for you Bob.

A place like this might be a good central location for a bus get together. It's a perfect test for our ability to boondock.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:00 PM   #207
Bus Geek

Quote:
Here's the hot springs; The turn off to my favorite hot spring in on Hwy 126 between Blue River and McKenzie Bridge. You'd be looking for Cougar Dam Road heading south off 126, then a right turn on Aufderheidi Road will take you to the top of the dam. The road divides again with camping to the left across the top of the dam, and the hot springs to the right several miles further along the lake. There are some rather small signs indicating the springs areas and a large gravel parking area near the 1/2 mile trail head to the springs. A parking permit is required, and the forestry service in that area is quite antimate about catching anyone parking in the area without the permit. The hike is fairly level.
You'll see signs indicating the springs are a "clothing optional" hot spring. The water temperature is quite comfortable and has low sulpher. Some people drink the water.

This is not a commercialized hot spring. These are pools built up from the natural rock in the area, and are maintained by the individuals soaking in them. There are usually 5 to 7 pools, each a little cooler than the previous pool. You can lay in the pools and stare up at the tops of old growth trees.

This was a big hippy area back in the 60's. It's about an hour east of Eugene and seems to be a favorite of the impoverished college crowd. It never fails to be an interesting trip. Lots of good people to meet there.

I'm pretty sure the water isn't to hot for you Bob.

A place like this might be a good central location for a bus get together. It's a perfect test for our ability to boondock.
That's a whole lotta directions. I was just looking for a name. Not that I would have known it anyway. I need to get my as5 out that way full time. Hot springs aren't that big of a draw to me but there are only like 2 or 3 on the east coast and they are either so commercial as to be in buildings or are on private land and completely closed to the public.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:53 PM   #208
Bus Geek

The directions were so other people could possibly find the hot springs. It is called Cougar hot springs as it is located on Cougar resevoir. It's a fascinating area.

Bob, if you go to these hot springs on a nice summer day I'm sure you'll have intentions of returning. College towns and hot springs should always go together.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:58 PM   #209
Bus Geek

Quote:
The directions were so other people could possibly find the hot springs. It is called Cougar hot springs as it is located on Cougar resevoir. It's a fascinating area.

Bob, if you go to these hot springs on a nice summer day I'm sure you'll have intentions of returning. College towns and hot springs should always go together.
My intentions on returning is to do it from a more local starting point. At the very least somewhere west of the Rockies. Preferably west of the Cascades.
Old 06-19-2017, 02:18 PM   #210
Bus Geek

West of the Cascades would be to far. Most of our hot springs are in the Cascades or other small mountain ranges, such as the Blue Mountains or the Steens Mountains.

I finally bought a softback book telling of hot springs in the NW. Many aren't worth going to. For instance the Olympic hot springs in NW Washington are warm but also full of some strange organic material that your body gets covered with. It's the kind of stuff that makes you wish you'd have skipped the dip.

There are hot springs on private property in the same area that people have plumbed into their private pools. Those properties go for double or triple normal values.
Old 06-19-2017, 02:51 PM   #211
Bus Geek

Quote:
West of the Cascades would be to far. Most of our hot springs are in the Cascades or other small mountain ranges, such as the Blue Mountains or the Steens Mountains.

I finally bought a softback book telling of hot springs in the NW. Many aren't worth going to. For instance the Olympic hot springs in NW Washington are warm but also full of some strange organic material that your body gets covered with. It's the kind of stuff that makes you wish you'd have skipped the dip.

There are hot springs on private property in the same area that people have plumbed into their private pools. Those properties go for double or triple normal values.
Goldendale has been popping up a lot in the property search. That's too eastern WA for my liking I think (weather wise) tho all the properties have a really nice view of Mt. Adams and aren't that far from the Columbia River. I should check the weather history. Hard to beat 20 acres for $40k. Would have to find a tree that can survive tho. Most of the lots are bare of large trees.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:24 PM   #212
Bus Geek

I stare at Goldendale when I'm driving up the Oregon side of the river and it looks like a miserable place. Hot, hot in the summertime and windy cold and dry during the winters. If you like a lot of wind you'll be happy on the Columbia. Kite surfing and sailboarding have been popular all through the gorge for years. During the winter that is one ice cold wind that blows west through the gorge. If you've got a farm out there or other good reason to be there I'm sure it would be ok, sort of. I'd need a really good reason to stay in that area. That's the edge of the eastern Oregon/Washington dessert.

If you like the dessert climate but want to be in green mountains, the Blue Mountains of NE Oregon will surprise you. This is one of my favorite areas and one of the few places where I'd actually buy property. Close to Hell's Canyon, headwaters of the Columbia. There's good fish and game. Decent skiing too.

In easter oregon/washington it's easily possible to buy 500 acres after selling a home, but that would likely be considered cattle land.

Since you're still working for a living that will pretty much decide where you live.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:49 AM   #213
Bus Geek

Quote:
I stare at Goldendale when I'm driving up the Oregon side of the river and it looks like a miserable place. Hot, hot in the summertime and windy cold and dry during the winters. If you like a lot of wind you'll be happy on the Columbia. Kite surfing and sailboarding have been popular all through the gorge for years. During the winter that is one ice cold wind that blows west through the gorge. If you've got a farm out there or other good reason to be there I'm sure it would be ok, sort of. I'd need a really good reason to stay in that area. That's the edge of the eastern Oregon/Washington dessert.

If you like the dessert climate but want to be in green mountains, the Blue Mountains of NE Oregon will surprise you. This is one of my favorite areas and one of the few places where I'd actually buy property. Close to Hell's Canyon, headwaters of the Columbia. There's good fish and game. Decent skiing too.
That's why I would prefer to stay west of all the mountains. I don't want extreme cold nor heat. I gotta say the view is nice from Goldendale tho. Too bad the mountains ring all the moisture out of the air.

Quote:
Since you're still working for a living that will pretty much decide where you live.
Yeah, I gotta fix this part. Because I have no workable plans, the Olympic Peninsula is probably my best bet. Lots of manufacturing up near Seattle. Draw a north/south line from Tacoma to Vancouver, WA and I've no idea what if anything is available west of that line.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:25 AM   #214
Bus Geek

The Olympic peninsula is actually that NW portion of Washington across the bay from Seattle. That is a super rainy area, but it's beautiful in the summer. Dungeoness crabs are in the surf and fishing is good. You can hunt ferril hogs without a license. Lots to do there.
You could live just about anywhere if you take up logging. I used to fall timber up on the peninsula near Forks. You could get yourself a big chainsaw and risk your life on a daily basis.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:32 PM   #215
Bus Geek

Quote:
The Olympic peninsula is actually that NW portion of Washington across the bay from Seattle. That is a super rainy area, but it's beautiful in the summer. Dungeoness crabs are in the surf and fishing is good. You can hunt ferril hogs without a license. Lots to do there.
You could live just about anywhere if you take up logging. I used to fall timber up on the peninsula near Forks. You could get yourself a big chainsaw and risk your life on a daily basis.
I was talking specifically south along the OR border. The Olympic peninsula has got to be dead of jobs unless tree related or Tacoma, Olympia, or up at the ship yard.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:46 PM   #216
Bus Geek

P.S. I've driven around the (outer) entirety of the Olympic Peninsula; would have been US 101 all the way around then across US 12. Probably should have done WA 109 but didn't. More so down to the Columbia River.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:34 PM   #217
Bus Geek

The Seattle area is actually pretty good. Still lots of rain, even compared to Portland. There's not a lot of industry up the gorge either, but you never know where you might find the right job. Yakima and Spokane have their own high points and fairly well developed industry.
I still prefer Alaska, but not in any major cities. Apparently that's why I've had so many careers, from taking the work that's available.
It's like granny said. People either have knowledge 3" wide and a mile deep, or they have knowledge that's 3" deep and a mile wide. I enjoy learning so I've done lots of different types of work. Now when I learn something new I forget where my keys are or my children's names. Box of marbles theory.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:43 PM   #218
Bus Geek

Quote:
The Seattle area is actually pretty good. Still lots of rain, even compared to Portland. There's not a lot of industry up the gorge either, but you never know where you might find the right job. Yakima and Spokane have their own high points and fairly well developed industry.
I still prefer Alaska, but not in any major cities. Apparently that's why I've had so many careers, from taking the work that's available.
I'm not moving to Seattle unless you're paying for it. Those nutjobs are almost as bad as the Cali nutjobs on their housing costs.

Quote:
It's like granny said. People either have knowledge 3" wide and a mile deep, or they have knowledge that's 3" deep and a mile wide. I enjoy learning so I've done lots of different types of work.
My problem isn't with a new job. I really REALLY would ABSOLUTELY love to do that. I hate my job and my career. But I'm not ready to start over on the pay scale. If I owned property (not the bank) and lived in the bus, a serious cut in pay would be ok.

Quote:
Now when I learn something new I forget where my keys are or my children's names. Box of marbles theory.
Not too worried about my kids but I need my keys. Some boxes are bigger and start with more marbles than others. My long term memory is fine. Short term has always been crap. Wish I knew how to convert one to the other. I really don't need to remember my phone number from when I was 8.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:14 PM   #219
Bus Geek

Finally an update;

Took me a while to get the roof sanded.

It had something growing on it.

There was a fair amount of tar on the roof near the hatch.

It cleaned up pretty good with the wire cup on the HF grinder.

Finally got it all cleaned up.

Took off all the eyebrows.

I still don't know what this white plack is for or how to get it off.

Windshield is still broke.

I am absolutely all set for the eclipse.

And my excuse for not getting more things done.

My middle of winter fuel loss prevention program.

Not a whole lot going on, but always a slow progression of some sort. So, seam sealer followed by window resealing, then I can finally slap on some paint and sort of disappear in the woods.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:22 PM   #220
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Collins
Chassis: E450 Ferd
Engine: 6.0L Diesel
Rated Cap: 20 window lickin Jeffies
Quote:
I spent several weeks sanding this 26' bus in between rain showers. I've been told I'm over sanding by just a bit anyway with my 100 grit paper. Oregon has got trees and there were numerous deep scratches on the body and roof, some actually slightly grooved into the steel. I also got one of those wire cup steel brushes to put on the grinder that seems to strip paint off faster than the sandpaper, but it polishes the metal unlike sandpaper. I thought I was getting close to slapping on some paint, rolling actually, but you know how jobs overlap.

For a decent looking paint job you have to take a lot of attachments off the bus, including windows. There is the "au la pauge" paint job where everything is the same color, and that actually looks pretty nice on some buses and may be the way to go. For a regular paint job It looks bad when you get paint on your window frames or other places so I'd like to remove the windows, clean and paint the frames, then seal and replace the windows.

So I finally got the last three roof panels sanded, and then decided I needed to remove the windows to trim them properly with my base color. Of course that means I might as well do the full re-seal job on the windows. That involves ordering silkaflex for the windows and some 3M seam sealer for roof as leak insurance. It's been raining since I ordered this new stuff so not really any work time lost. A simple paint job keeps getting bigger and bigger.

I didn't want this bus to look like a backyard paint job, which it is of course, so as not to draw undue attention during my travels. I finally got my seam sealer and silkaflex in hand, three whole days, and the weather is supposed to be good all this weekend. People might not recognize my "Nobody" by next week.
WOW that's alot of over-thinkage. You can just tape off the window frames and paint the stantions between them. Get a masking device that holds tape and a roll of paper and have at it. Its time consuming, but diligence can yield good results.

Goatherder is offline   Reply With Quote