Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2018, 08:04 PM   #421
Bus Geek

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
It has been a while. We did another weekend trip to a local campground for fathersday.
With all the good advise about the steering of the jeep I decided to try it and indeed it worked well with the steering wheel unlocked.
all for setting me straight.

Some more pictures from our last trip to Atlanta / Outer Banks

School Bus Conversion Resources - joeblack5's Album: not a skoolie - Picture

Waiting for the ferry at Cedar island.

Inside Dory while camping at Ocracoke.
A very nice feature turned out that the windows of Dory can fully open and keep the inside cool.
We use a 19 VDC 22" lcd Dell monitor as entertainment screen ...$12 at goodwill. I took the stand apart and modified the swivel so that it angles the screen a little to get better viewing angle for most of us.

To get more storage we made shelves above hand railings for "soft stuff" that would not do much harm flying around in an accident.

We hung double insulated cellurar shades that keeps the sun out and the heat in. But at this moment this is by no standards adequate for below freezing temperatures.

Later J

joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:26 AM   #422
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack5 View Post
With all the good advise about the steering of the jeep I decided to try it and indeed it worked well with the steering wheel unlocked.
all for setting me straight.
Guess I missed that. D'oh yeah, don't do that.

Quote:
A very nice feature turned out that the windows of Dory can fully open and keep the inside cool.
All of them or just the e-windows? All would be nice.

Quote:
We use a 19 VDC 22" lcd Dell monitor as entertainment screen ...$12 at goodwill. I took the stand apart and modified the swivel so that it angles the screen a little to get better viewing angle for most of us.
Nice score!!

Quote:
We hung double insulated cellurar shades that keeps the sun out and the heat in. But at this moment this is by no standards adequate for below freezing temperatures.
Waiting for the ferry at Cedar island.
Inside Dory while camping at Ocracoke.
I dunno where these places are (will google next) but keeping the heat in and freezing temps are NOT a problem here/now. Quite the opposite!!!
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:34 AM   #423
Bus Geek

Quote:
Cedar island.
Ocracoke

Later J
Have you hit your head on something? Hope you aren't the one driving. Googled, ... you're east coast and SE at that. There haven't been any freezing temps in months.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:34 AM   #424
Bus Geek

Oh Bob, that trip was last month. No I did not hit my head, ceiling is 8 ft . Yes all windows can open. The e ones have a nice handle.. The other ones have two little pins. the design was useful for transits so that could replace whole windows while on route. I guess graffiti and so was a problem? It is amazing because the breeze blows right thru the whole bus. Our small us has small school bus windows and there the effect is much less noticeable.

Later J
Old 06-25-2018, 06:32 AM   #425
Bus Geek

Quote:
Oh Bob, that trip was last month. No I did not hit my head, ceiling is 8 ft . Yes all windows can open. The e ones have a nice handle.. The other ones have two little pins. the design was useful for transits so that could replace whole windows while on route. I guess graffiti and so was a problem? It is amazing because the breeze blows right thru the whole bus. Our small us has small school bus windows and there the effect is much less noticeable.

Later J

I'm a fair distance north of that and it hasn't been freezing since early March.
Old 06-30-2018, 08:30 PM   #426
Bus Geek

A little bit of an empty feeling. Just came back from our last and final trip with Mom to Prince Gallitzen State Park.
I had traded an inverter for an old canoe.

Mom's ability to walk has gotten a lot worse and she has quite some pain from arthritis. We did not have the feeling that traveling / camping has gotten a little to much for her. We had hoped that keeping her busy and involved would slow the effects of the dementia. I think she still did amazing for 96 but i have to find the proper next step.

later J
Old 07-02-2018, 07:08 AM   #427
Bus Geek

Quote:
We had hoped that keeping her busy and involved would slow the effects of the dementia. I think she still did amazing for 96 but i have to find the proper next step.

later J
Sorry to hear that. Best wishes.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:01 PM   #428
Bus Geek

Already 6 weeks later. Complications around Mom's immigration status and thus inability to get a US health insurance for her pushed us into bringing Mom back to the Netherlands. It was a sad / tearful and hard reality for all of us but we are grateful that Mom, our kids and my Wife and me had a good 14 months together.

I brought Mom back 4 weeks ago and stayed two weeks with her back at her own house trying to resettle her again. Now it is waiting for an open spot in a nursing home. Family in the Netherlands have taken over care.

This was a wild, wild adventure , probably a little to optimistic with Dory but we had some good times together.

This was the last activity in State College... Artsfest street painting.
My wife is one of the regular street painting artists for the last 10 years.

Here we are at Washington Dulles airport.

I just re-read this whole thread and I want to thank everybody for their advise, help and support so that we were able to have the best time together.

Later Johan
Old 08-14-2018, 06:39 AM   #429
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Very sorry to hear that Johan. Sounds like you've had a very busy few months.
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 06:47 AM   #430
Bus Geek

Quote:
Complications around Mom's immigration status and thus inability to get a US health insurance for her pushed us into bringing Mom back to the Netherlands.
Later Johan
Well that about sucks. Sorry to hear it.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:25 AM   #431
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Sorry to hear about that, Johan.

FWIW- the care of the elderly is probably much better in NL.

Hope she's comfortable and that she gets the care she deserves.

All the best to you and your family.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 10:57 AM   #432
Mini-Skoolie

I too am sorry to hear about your issue. Life comes with Roses and thorns. I watched your journey here since the beginning. I've been meaning to reread this thread. I hope that your mother has family and is well cared for in the Netherlands. Keep us updated about Dory and your family. Thanks for sharing
vtxvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 06:05 PM   #433
Bus Geek

Thank you all for your compassion.

For Dory this was a little sad also as she never saw her completion as intended. Mom's set back and our confrontation that life better be lived has resulted that we are now more determined to start a winter trip beginning December 2018 and not put it of any longer.

Goal is to be on the road from December to half May 2019 in the warm part of the US. We like the kids to spend a week or so in all the parks and hope to hike a lot.

I looked into a better bus for the job , our eye was locked for a while on a GMD PD4104 manual 4 speed V drive all aluminum, gorgeous looking and previous converted.

Last weekend we just took Dory out for a drive into the woods and found that the large windows, large door and low floor makes the outdoor really an extension of the bus.

So we are no starting to finish what we started. We are modifying the interior a little because the reserved space for the wheel chair became available and also the we can reduces the seating a little in favor of more comfort and storage.
The more solar, lithium batteries and a winch to drag us thru the rough spots.

Later J
Old 08-14-2018, 06:30 PM   #434
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
so sorry to hear that mom cant be on your journies with you (at least not right now.. dont give up totally... the mid term elections may yield some very different eyes on immigration.. esp for those doing it for the reasons you are!)..

im so glad to hear that Dory will continue with you.. and mom will be there too as you cruise the warm weather.. (I myself am working on finding my roots in florida for the winter so if you guys make it that far south, do look me up! you are an awesome dude to hang out with, esp when we talk tech!)

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:54 PM   #435
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
I'm sorry J...i feel so bad reading this.
I'm sure it's not easy, but like Christopher said, don't give up. I think your Mom is such a cool lady. How many women her age are up for adventure like she is?
Hang in there
Old 08-28-2018, 03:55 PM   #436
Bus Geek

Thanks Chris and Tobeamiss for the extra motivation / kind words. Hope we all meet somewhere during our travels.

Yes we are in full blown preparations now with Dory. It is exciting to see the new progress. It is amazing how your mind deceives you in imagining everything ready or thinking that it is is almost ready while there is so much more to do. We are willing to let go of a lot of desires just to get on the road in December.

I have started a second thread about Dory in the coach section under

" Dory transit new start"

Thanks all,

Johan
Old 04-15-2020, 07:01 PM   #437

Year: 1994
Chassis: Saf-t-liner
Engine: Cummins 6bta-230
Rated Cap: 76
Quote:
Thanks Chris, that is helpful. Did not operate on the electronics in the AC system yet. I want to slow the indoor ( evap) Fans down to lessen noise and power draw. So that seems to be good according to what you are saying.
I thought I had downloaded the schematic for this hvac but now i can not find it anymore. I will get more insulation in the floors, ceiling and walls so I hope I can reduce the capacity to max 30000 btu or so. Will do a test tomorrow to see how many Amps the HVAC is drawing.

Later J
Hey how did the system work. With the 7hp engine. I've been thinking about moving my A/C pumps and adding an alternator. A stock alternate engine for my bus a 94 thomas shows a 13hp two stoke diesel to run a system like this.
Jpitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 09:32 AM   #438
Bus Geek

Quote:
o
Hi , Sorry, not much news yet. We are not Ac people so the urge is low, I like it from a technical perspective. Still struggling with getting the pulley modified to interface with the compressor. Engine is in but also there not much further progress. Exposed our oldest to machining in our shop. Hope she stays interested and can help push this along.

johan
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200409_095135_035.jpg  
Old 04-16-2020, 09:37 AM   #439
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Depends on the transmission. The MB engine is not a bad engine from what I gather, but costly and difficult, if not impossible to find parts for when needed. Keep on top of your maintenance, I'm not sure what can be swapped in its place when it can no longer be rebuilt. Not sure what transmission was behind these, but some variant at least, of these MB engines was used in some Columbia-class Freightliners (yes, big rig tractor units), and I really haven't heard anything bad about them other than parts availability.

Which, interesting point here, Daimler is, or at least WAS Freightliner for awhile, and a lot of the Daimler/Freightliner produced trucks were MB powered, which leads me to believe this may actually be what became known as the Freightliner M2-class chassis. I know that Freightliner has also produced Grumman / StepVan-style trucks on a similar-styled chassis. Could be either / or, take your pick -- the lug pattern will tell the tale. Typically, the Grumman-style-bodied trucks would be on a six or eight lug hub, if memory serves. Ten lug hubs would indicate an M2-class style chassis (typically a 33k-ish GVWR). If this one has air brakes, I would lean more toward the M2 chassis -- I've never seen the lighter chassis with air brakes, which is not to say they didn't build them like that, I've just never seen one. But the lug pattern and axle weight limits should tell the tale.

*UPDATE* Reading some other posts here (didn't realize I was late to the party), in regard to your revs at 55, I would research your rear axle gear ratio, and the Allison 300 transmission this bus is supposed to have. My understanding is certain Allison models have an 'Easter egg' of sorts in the form of a top gear that is sometimes locked out electronically, ergo, a six-speed will perform and behave like a 5-speed. Not sure if this applies to this particular trans though. Perhaps yours is not hitting top gear? Easy way to find out -- count the gear changes from a stop. Five gear changes -- it's hitting sixth. If not, you may want to find someone who can "make it so, number one".
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 11:14 AM   #440

Year: 1994
Chassis: Saf-t-liner
Engine: Cummins 6bta-230
Rated Cap: 76
Quote:
Hi , Sorry, not much news yet. We are not Ac people so the urge is low, I like it from a technical perspective. Still struggling with getting the pulley modified to interface with the compressor. Engine is in but also there not much further progress. Exposed our oldest to machining in our shop. Hope she stays interested and can help push this along.

johan
I love it most of my family are fabricators. We aren't A/C people either. My wife says it would be nice to have if needed most likely I will just leave it on the engine. We mostly boondock and chase those 70°s. I really see a mini split in the future a few of our friends have them on their skoolies.
Jpitman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
double pane window diy