Old 08-31-2014, 07:55 PM   #1
Year: 1971
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Tandem Super Coach
Engine: Cummins 220
Rated Cap: 90
Ohio Crown 1971 Crown

So I did it..... I bought a bus.

Earlier this year I traded off my beloved Valkyie Motorcycle for a 32ft class A, just to test the waters. I loved it, more so to the point my family loves it. So the search was on for a bus to convert. I was in no real hurry either since I had the class A. I had looked at Crowns years ago but wrote them off due to the smaller size. I looked a GMC Buffalo another favorite of mine but was not impressed once I looked at the bus.

I found this 1971 Crown Super Coach less than 20 miles form the house, I went to look at it just because I had never seen a crown in person.

OOOOPPPPPsss Fell in love with it.

The owner was trying not to scrap the bus because he had love for it as well and a deal was struck.

I do not even have the bus home yet, I have been cleaning out the barn with a fever to get it ready to house the Crown. Even the wife is excited about it. We do not plan on starting the conversion until next year to allow us time to build up money to do the work right. Though I do find myself at night reading the forums of others that suffer from this addiction, and making volumes of notes in my "Crown Book".

I look forward to sharing the journey as I get started in the process and also look forward to any and all feed back and advise from those that have been there and done that.
iusvir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:40 PM   #2
Bus Nut
Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: DD6-71T
Rated Cap: 78
Re: Ohio Crown 1971 Crown

Welcome to the madness. Even better, welcome to Crown conversions. The best school bus ever built!!

The Brown Crown thread on this site is incredible. I am still in the midst of my conversion of my current 1988 Crown. However, I am almost finished, as I give it about two more months. I got behind as I wanted to do dark tint on the windows and it took over a month to get someone to do it.

My thread is the Journey Beings - 1988 Crown Conversion. It should give you some great ideas. All of the threads on this forum have great ideas. All of us are more than happy to give advice, suggestions and opinions, sometimes all conflicting with each other!!! That is the fun of conversions. Each person's vision is his or her own.

I love that you got a tandem. When I drove a bus going to college, it was a 1968 Crown tandem with a Cummins. You will love your tandem.

If you want to talk about specifics, feel free to contact me directly.

Good luck and welcome!!!
Greg and Donna Marvel

Danville, California
gmarvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:44 AM   #3
Bus Crazy
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Her, me and Molly

Welcome aboard

Where's the pictures? If you ain't got pictures it don't exist!!!!
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:27 AM   #4
Site Team

Our build La Tortuga
Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.
George S. Patton
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:09 AM   #5
Bus Geek
Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15

One more Skoolie Welcome! --- Love them old Crowns. And you came to the right place. Not only is there a couple of centuries of general knowledge & and experience re-purposing skoolies here...but some of the finest Crown Conversions you'll ever come across. And given the stoutness of the can easily hang a Hog or two off the back for when you feel the need!

Again, welcome but...bring on the pix!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 12:53 AM   #6

Is this your bus?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00404_8vp4Q7YSW1A_600x450.jpg (26.3 KB, 210 views)
sweetfarm is offline   Reply With Quote