Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2008, 07:27 AM   #21
Bus Nut

Re: Okie All American

really like your plans and drawings, I wish i could use that program that good.

If you need to get a mattress that will fit through every door buy a memory foam mattress. When new they are vacuum packed in boxes that fit in to any door. Once on the bed open the plastic and let the mattress expand for about 24 h before using it. Besides being able to fit it through your door some other benefits would be: more comfort then traditional spring mattress, no bouncing around if trying to sleep while driving down the road, your part of the bed does not move if your partner turns and tosses etc.

this one is from Costco, just do a search for memory foam

good luck with your conversion nice to see somebody else with a bunch of kids tackling this project. We got 6 little (or not so little anymore) ones.

swinada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 07:36 AM   #22
Bus Nut

this is how our seating arrangement will probably look like, the 2 front seats will be on swivels.
swinada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 12:13 PM   #23
Bus Nut

Awesome drawings. I have just one comment. Don't put the batteries under the bed or anywhere else that is inside in heated space. I say this for a few reasons. First is the safety issue. Also you are wasting primo heated space. Not sure what weather you'll be driving in, but, it seems to me that I would want to use that space for potable water rather than hanging it underneath where it is susceptible to freezing or heat, depending on the season, locale.

I'm guessing that there is enough room underneath for batteries and water, so, if I was doing it I'duse that space is for general storage of big stuff.

Make your bed hinged at the rear so you can lift it up to get at a single large storage compartment. It could be handy for stowing things that don't fit elsewhere.

And listen to elliot. Lifting it 2 ft or more is just as easy as going 18 inches.
pete c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 06:57 PM   #24
Skoolie

I'm in with Swinada. That memory foam stuff will not only fit, but I think it is very comfortable. Keep us posted. Can't wait to see the progress.
reprobate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 01:01 AM   #25
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Rated Cap: 84

Tonight I worked a little on details of the storage under the back bedroom. I wanted to clarify what I had in mind and see if it would address the concerns that have been expressed about having batteries inside the bus. Here's a rendering:

I am thinking that the battery compartment will not open anywhere inside the bus, but only have an access door and vents cut through the right outside wall of the bus. I am planning at this point to use AGM batteries, but I still want them compartmentalized away from the living space of the bus. Incidentally, that is right above where the engine battery compartment is. The approximate location of the new door would be something like this:

I like the location because it is near the engine and other batteries so any cabling involving those would be kept short.

Anyone see any problems with that design?
dentarthurdent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 11:58 AM   #26
Skoolie

Here's my plan for storage drawers under the front part of the queen bed. The rear part of the bed will rest on the engine box.

The long middle drawer will pull out through the bedroom door opening. I may shorten the middle drawer to leave room in the middle for the pump for the Sleep Number bed.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:26 PM   #27
Skoolie

As with everyone else I am impressed with the detail of your planning. Me,I just jumped in with both eyes closed. When we started my girlfriend asked, "Shouldn't we plan first?" To which I replied, "Plan? (Homer Simpson look) What for?" And off we went. I'm sure it will come back to bite me. Anyway, great job and a great looking plan.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:13 AM   #28
Skoolie

reprobate:
I have to admit that when I saw the photos of all the stuff you guys had done in a couple of days, I was wishing I could just dive in and not mess around with all the planning, etc. But I have been collecting tools, etc and making gradual real world progress so I don't feel too bad. I guess having some balance in between would be ideal.

I appreciate the kind remarks on my designs. I hope that nice drawings don't dissuade people from providing input on the design. I know that just because something can be drawn doesn't mean it's a good or practical idea...

I do think that going through the process of drawing the stuff in 3D causes me to think about a lot of things that I would otherwise overlook, but I need to get a reality check on it all too from the vast experience represented here.

BTW, I've decided to raise the roof higher now - I am thinking 20" now. I guess we'll see what it reaches by the time I actually do it...
Old 01-17-2008, 07:13 AM   #29
Skoolie

Truth be told, I had been planning on building my own travel trailer and was on the cusp of starting when I found this wonderful site and its great people. So with that kind of thinking in mind and having worked in construction the whole of my adult life the leap was not as much one of faith as I might lead to believe.
As you have found also this skoolie bunch is the best.

On a side note. I think what you are doing is wonderful. This bus will give your kids(and you) great memories they will never forget.

20"... anyone bid 24". Remember the construction rule--best use of your materials
Old 01-19-2008, 11:13 PM   #30
Skoolie

Thanks!

Today we took the bus to Pops for a family outing since it's the last time there will be passenger seats for a while...

When we got home, I took out the remaining seats and the dividers behind the driver and by the stairwell. I also took up some more flooring. I can't believe how difficult it is to get up. I think those nasty twisted shank nails must be the secret to the All American's legendary strength and durability!

Anyway, it feels good to finally get all the seats out.

- Tony
Old 01-29-2008, 02:55 AM   #31
Skoolie

Tonight I worked on exterior renderings. I am showing the roof raised 20" and the sides skinned, but I have not added windows yet - still working on details to add realism... But here is my work-in-progress.

Once I get the windows in, I will start playing with paint schemes.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:46 PM   #32
Almost There

very nice rendition you have there dentarthurdent. i like the smooth skin look alot. i think the 20" raise on the roof looks like a good height too. out of curiosity, what is your current ceiling height as is though??

chase
Old 01-29-2008, 01:50 PM   #33
Skoolie

Chase:
The current internal ceiling height on the centerline is 76". The external roof height is currently just a little over 10'.
- Tony
Old 01-29-2008, 01:55 PM   #34
Almost There

very nice, with your 20" raise you'll net a full 8' for headroom on your centerline. that's about perfect IMO, and you'll have extra height for storage and such. lookin good!

chase
Old 02-15-2008, 12:58 AM   #35
Skoolie

Tonight I finally finished removing all the ceiling and the inside skin above the windshield and the rear emergency exit window. I am really glad to be done with that - drilling out rivets overhead isn't too fun, but I've gotten pretty good at it! Now to remove the inside wall skin...

Today I had a problem that hadn't happened before. The compressed air system isn't building any pressure. It was working great last time I had it running about a week ago. I put some air in from my shop compressor hoping it would jog some stuck valve but that didn't help. I'll be doing some troubleshooting on that next I guess.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:59 PM   #36
Skoolie

Way to go, Tony. I'll have to look at pics. Yeah you're in it now. It's exciting isn't it?
Old 02-19-2008, 12:12 AM   #37
Skoolie

yeah - I am getting pretty close to being done with demolition - FINALLY! Tonight I removed the walls panels on the right side except one. I am really looking forward to doing the roof raising and skinning the sides.

I need to find some windows - I thought I had at least a few free ones lined up but that fell through.

It's easy to get impatient when I only get to work on it 1-2 hours at a time and a few nights a week, but it has been good therapy for frustration from my day job!

Sunday, my brother-in-law and I went to Lee's RV City. I bought some wheel chocks and we spent some time looking through RVs they had on display. They had a really awesome 2008 Newmar Essex. It costs $560k and has plenty of really cool features. But as I looked at it, I was thinking that if I had $560k to spend on a motorhome, I'd buy a shell and build it because every commercial one I have looked at is gaudy to the point of being tacky. And the woodwork was only mediocre too. So while it was fun to look - it reaffirmed for me that I am doing what I should be doing for now. Maybe later I'll build a coach, but a skoolie is perfectly suited for now!
Old 02-19-2008, 11:53 AM   #38
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins

Oh, you can do better than a Newmar. These puppies -- http://www.marathoncoach.com/ -- START at more $$$ than the most expensive Newmar. And yes, they'll happily build one exactly the way you want it.

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 12:19 PM   #39
Skoolie

ah - now that's pretty cool! I'll just have to save up a little more..

I have to stop looking at coaches with huge slideouts - having all that floor space would be really nice. Unless reprobate wants to come over and try building a side-mounted set...

Seriously though, it makes me wonder if I shouldn't reconsider my seating plan (again). I'm waffling on how to arrange the dinette or to have one at all... I guess I need to do some more SketchUp doodling...
Old 02-19-2008, 01:56 PM   #40
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins

About those slide-out rooms.... When they came on the market, I said to myself that it would not be long before I saw one going down the road in the extended position, the mechanism hopelessly jammed. And I was right. Saw one just the other day; looked to be about half way or two thirds out. Seems to me, those slide-outs constitute a gross violation of the Keep-It-Simple concept.

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote