Old 01-29-2008, 03:55 AM   #31
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Rated Cap: 84
Re: Okie All American

Tonight I worked on exterior renderings. I am showing the roof raised 20" and the sides skinned, but I have not added windows yet - still working on details to add realism... But here is my work-in-progress.

Once I get the windows in, I will start playing with paint schemes.
dentarthurdent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 02:46 PM   #32
Mini-Skoolie

very nice rendition you have there dentarthurdent. i like the smooth skin look alot. i think the 20" raise on the roof looks like a good height too. out of curiosity, what is your current ceiling height as is though??

chase
Old 01-29-2008, 02:50 PM   #33
Skoolie

Chase:
The current internal ceiling height on the centerline is 76". The external roof height is currently just a little over 10'.
- Tony
Old 01-29-2008, 02:55 PM   #34
Mini-Skoolie

very nice, with your 20" raise you'll net a full 8' for headroom on your centerline. that's about perfect IMO, and you'll have extra height for storage and such. lookin good!

chase
Old 02-15-2008, 01:58 AM   #35
Skoolie

Tonight I finally finished removing all the ceiling and the inside skin above the windshield and the rear emergency exit window. I am really glad to be done with that - drilling out rivets overhead isn't too fun, but I've gotten pretty good at it! Now to remove the inside wall skin...

Today I had a problem that hadn't happened before. The compressed air system isn't building any pressure. It was working great last time I had it running about a week ago. I put some air in from my shop compressor hoping it would jog some stuck valve but that didn't help. I'll be doing some troubleshooting on that next I guess.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:59 PM   #36
Skoolie

Way to go, Tony. I'll have to look at pics. Yeah you're in it now. It's exciting isn't it?
reprobate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 01:12 AM   #37
Skoolie

yeah - I am getting pretty close to being done with demolition - FINALLY! Tonight I removed the walls panels on the right side except one. I am really looking forward to doing the roof raising and skinning the sides.

I need to find some windows - I thought I had at least a few free ones lined up but that fell through.

It's easy to get impatient when I only get to work on it 1-2 hours at a time and a few nights a week, but it has been good therapy for frustration from my day job!

Sunday, my brother-in-law and I went to Lee's RV City. I bought some wheel chocks and we spent some time looking through RVs they had on display. They had a really awesome 2008 Newmar Essex. It costs $560k and has plenty of really cool features. But as I looked at it, I was thinking that if I had $560k to spend on a motorhome, I'd buy a shell and build it because every commercial one I have looked at is gaudy to the point of being tacky. And the woodwork was only mediocre too. So while it was fun to look - it reaffirmed for me that I am doing what I should be doing for now. Maybe later I'll build a coach, but a skoolie is perfectly suited for now!
Old 02-19-2008, 12:53 PM   #38
Bus Crazy

Year: 1992
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins

Oh, you can do better than a Newmar. These puppies -- http://www.marathoncoach.com/ -- START at more $$$ than the most expensive Newmar. And yes, they'll happily build one exactly the way you want it.
Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 01:19 PM   #39
Skoolie

ah - now that's pretty cool! I'll just have to save up a little more..

I have to stop looking at coaches with huge slideouts - having all that floor space would be really nice. Unless reprobate wants to come over and try building a side-mounted set...

Seriously though, it makes me wonder if I shouldn't reconsider my seating plan (again). I'm waffling on how to arrange the dinette or to have one at all... I guess I need to do some more SketchUp doodling...
Old 02-19-2008, 02:56 PM   #40
Bus Crazy

Year: 1992
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins

About those slide-out rooms.... When they came on the market, I said to myself that it would not be long before I saw one going down the road in the extended position, the mechanism hopelessly jammed. And I was right. Saw one just the other day; looked to be about half way or two thirds out. Seems to me, those slide-outs constitute a gross violation of the Keep-It-Simple concept.
Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote