Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2008, 07:22 PM   #41
Bus Geek

Re: Okie All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Naess

About those slide-out rooms.... When they came on the market, I said to myself that it would not be long before I saw one going down the road in the extended position, the mechanism hopelessly jammed. And I was right. Saw one just the other day; looked to be about half way or two thirds out. Seems to me, those slide-outs constitute a gross violation of the Keep-It-Simple concept.

but where's your sense of adventure??

Old 02-19-2008, 07:45 PM   #42
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84

Adventure? Oh, no... no, I steer clear of that sort of thing.

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 10:25 PM   #43
Skoolie

Keeping it simple is for those with more sense that I. And yes, I am ready to do a side slide. And yes, my slide has been a LOT of work, mostly because of my sheer LACK of intelligence. Lapeer....that BBQ offer for you and your hydraulic cylinders still stands. Oh and bring your smarts.

You're ready to raise roof, Tony! When I was a framing contractor it was always my favorite part. Wish I could be there.
reprobate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 03:08 PM   #44
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: Cummins 8.3

Yesterday I removed the remaining side wall panels, including the worst of all - the left rear one. It was a small piece (about 3 sq ft) but had no fewer than 53 rivets holding it in place - many in corners and difficult to get at. I also took off the folding “SCHOOL BUS” signs from the top front and rear of the bus.

I took the rear heater loose so that I could get a better look at the plumbing. I need to get a coupler for a 1?ID hose so I can remove the heater and splice the water line back together. That will leave the front heater functional until I start building out the interior.

I added a valve and a fitting to the “wet” tank in the compressed air system. This allows me to charge the system from a standard air hose connected to my electric air compressor. That way, it can be used for testing, operating the door, etc without running the engine.

I connected up a hose and charged the system up to around 110psi and drove the bus out to the mailbox and back to see how the compressor behaved. I left it running for a while - even opened drain valves, etc to dump air, but the engine compressor kept up just fine. I am not sure what had caused the previous problem (it would only charge to 60psi) but I think it may have been condensation freezing in a valve or something like that. I’ll keep an eye on it in the future.

The only remaining demolition work to be done for now is to remove the flooring beneath the heater, the inner wall above the engine box, the ceiling wiring harness, and the side windows. I’ll take out the windows right before doing the roof raise. I’ll be glad to see them go - they are leaky and I am now convinced (from the rain the last few days) that they are the primary source of water in the flooring.
dentarthurdent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:13 PM   #45
Skoolie

Time for something to go up? Like a roof? I'm ready to see it. Maybe I'll drive over and pick up Elliot and we'll come by.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:56 PM   #46
Skoolie

It's real close to time. You guys head on over!

Today I took the rear heater out and the rest of the floor under it. I also cleaned things up with a shop vac. Looks a lot better now.

Next I need to do some calculations and order some metal (this week I hope). I want to try to get everything ready and have it pretty well thought through. The friend who is helping me with it has a really nice shop and all the equipment we'll need, but he's super busy and his shop is almost 2 hrs drive from here. So I don't want to waste his time. I'm currently reading back through all the accounts of roof raisings in the forum trying to get my head around as much detail as I can. Fortunately he's done this kind of stuff before so that will help immensely.

I can't wait to see it go up!
Old 03-07-2008, 12:39 PM   #47
Skoolie

Last night, my son and I taped out the plans on the floor of the bus. I had read about others doing that and thought it was a great idea to help visualize the size and positioning of stuff in the bus. Here's a photo:
Old 03-08-2008, 10:47 PM   #48
Skoolie

I have to admit, Tony. I'm sitting on pins and needles waiting for the destructionconstruction to begin and things to extend skyward. I can't imagine how you feel. The layout looks great! Onward!
Old 03-12-2008, 12:22 AM   #49
Skoolie

I've been distracted by my day job (!) lately and the prep for roof raising is suffering...

But in the mean time, I do have a couple of questions for you mechanical gurus here. I have a couple of valve or sensors that are disconnected (electrically) in the engine compartment and I'd like to find out what they were meant to do. Here are photos:

This one is on the top coolant line from the engine block to the radiator. Could it be a valve?

The second is on a box joining what I am pretty sure are hydraulic lines:

Any ideas that anyone might have would be greatly appreciated! I am particularly wondering if the water line component could have something to do with my engine heating problems.

thx alot!! - Tony
Old 03-12-2008, 02:42 AM   #50
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

First pic would be a coolant temp sensor from engine--possibly a hi-temp shutdown. The second pic looks to be a pressure sensor for whatevere hydraulic circuit its in.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:10 PM   #51
Bus Nut

first pic is a temp sensor or temp activated switch, where do the wires go? the second looks like a solinoid coil to activate a spool valve, again where do the wires go and what is on the back side of the block that the hoses go to? also where do the hydraulic hoses go?
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:50 AM   #52
Bus Nut

dentarthurdent, how's your conversion coming along? Did you get your roof raised yet?

jim
baadpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:26 PM   #53
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

If you look at the side bar with his info in it, you will see a little circle (world) that if you click on it, it will take you to his webpage. Apparently Aug 2008 was the last time the website had info posted on it. According to his user stats (click on his user name) "Last visited: Thu May 20, 2010 10:49 am" . This is probably another milk carton person.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:03 PM   #54
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

The hydraulic one is for the radiator fan. Think clutch fan.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote