Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2009, 11:19 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas Transit Liner
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: CAT 3208 Turbo
Old GMC bus...

I am in the market for a "new" bus & have been looking at short buses but keep driving past this old GMC bus in town right down the street from us. It looks to be in decent shape, is mid sized & I was able to catch up with the owners neighbor to ask a few questions... He said that they were living in it at one time, he thinks it still runs & that the owner may want to sell it. Does anyone have any clue what engine may have come in this bus (badged 374 on grill) & what year it might be? There are at least 2 dogs keeing me from getting a closer look at it. It looks like it had a wood stove in it at one time - chimney remnants out the side window. I like the older busses & yea it might have problems getting into our property with the winding driveway but I still want to know more about it as the price might be right...

ezbme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 02:06 AM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 85
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Gas
Rated Cap: 66
Re: Old GMC bus...

Dude....i have no clue about your questions....but that is an awesome looking bus.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:37 AM   #3
Bus Nut

I love the look of it & it looks like it might actually have high ceilings... I am going to follow thru with finding out more i possible... could be a basket case tho...
Old 12-22-2009, 08:40 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350

well i absolutely love that bus.Its gotta be a 55 to 57 because it has only 2 headlights and I know in 58 gmc has 4 headlights.Take a look in everything else-old buses from summer thread ive posted a shot of a 58 gmc in there.As for the engine,GMC was known for putting in Pontiac engines in their trucks in that era,but it may have a six banger in there also.Stovebolt.com is a great resourse for old GM stuff have had alot of good advice and info from this site!If that bus was just down the road from my house,it would be HERE NOW! Timbuk
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:58 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbuk
well i absolutely love that bus.Its gotta be a 55 to 57 because it has only 2 headlights and I know in 58 gmc has 4 headlights.Take a look in everything else-old buses from summer thread ive posted a shot of a 58 gmc in there.As for the engine,GMC was known for putting in Pontiac engines in their trucks in that era,but it may have a six banger in there also.Stovebolt.com is a great resourse for old GM stuff have had alot of good advice and info from this site!If that bus was just down the road from my house,it would be HERE NOW! Timbuk
Now that you mention it I see the resemblance to a 55-57 Chevy in the fenders/headlights!
Checked out the thread, nice photos! I really like the "tool bus"! Will also check out stovebolt.com.

I gotta locate the owner of this bus & get the lowdown... Even if I get it to the house & do nothing with it for a while I know I would enjoy this project as the mechanics would be so simple in comparison to our Thomas we have & converting an antique would just be so much more of a bonus when finished! Retro Mod Bus!
Smitty mentioned putting a bus on a modern 4X4 chassis what I am wondering is what would be a good chassis for this bus - a modern diesel chassis would be preferred, 2 or 4 wheel drive...
Old 12-22-2009, 11:17 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

im guessin any chassis will fit as long as your modifying like that it would be quite the job.The worst part of those old buses is the braske work that is usually involved cause they have been sitting for so long.C30,40,and50 chassis would likely be a good candidaqte for that one.Wow i guess that bus has been well preserved in the desert that thing would be a rustbucket here!Origional pics of my 65 shows nearly the same paint schemeheres the 58 shot i got this summer
Old 12-22-2009, 11:20 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

that 58 is sitting on a newer C30 chassis i was told by owner,but its shorter......
Old 12-23-2009, 09:25 PM   #8
Bus Nut

I could go this route for paint!

OR... better yet, & a 4 wheel drive version!