Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2006, 10:55 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

on a foggymorn, Myrtle the bus is born. a 1949 chevy shorty

Well I am still trying to figure all of this out, so please be patient with me. While I have not figured out how to post a pic in this dialoge....I have posted an album, or is it a sub album? anyway it is # 147 in the skoolie album. If anyone is willing to share their knowledge on posting pics here please reply!!! So back to the bus. Her name is Myrtle (she looks like a turtle) I have finally got everything stripped out that I am planning to take out. Oh except for the flooring that was under the carpet. I plan on doing that tomorrow as well as filling the holes from the old seat mounts. My next project will be to pull the nails from a truck load of wood that I got from My friends. We have been re-modeling their house. That was what we thought anyway... It ended up being way worse the more we tore out the more rot we exposed...anyway long story short...I was able to bring home a whole truck loead of 2x4's, 1x4's, 1x6's, and some great rustic 1x12's that I plan on using to box my toilet so that it looks like an old outhouse! Someone asked me the other day if this was an old hippie bus, a resounding YES, and it will be again! It has been hard work, but I am loving it. THe floor plan is still kicking my ass.... I think I have 15 now. the wheel wells and the small amount of space are making it hard to get everything I want in it. My gosh last night I drempt about fitting a soccer field in it. I woke up wondering what my subconsious is trying to tell me! lol O.k I better get back to the drawing board. If anyone has good floorplan ideas please let me know. One more thing, is it ok to just black out the windows and then stick a piece of carpet cut to fit between the window and the wood work that will cover it on the inside? That is what I am thinking about doing. For two main reasons. I like the look of the windows from the outside, when they are blacked out. It also alows me to keep these beautiful 49 windows incase I ever decide to change something, and need to expose the window again. The interior of the bus is aprox 7 1/2 ft wide, and 17 ft long(not including the 3 or 4 ft between the captains seat and dash). That old nose adds about 6 or 7 ft . from bumper to bumper she is 27ft. Thanks abunch
Foggymorn[/img]

foggymorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 11:34 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve
Here is the albumn: http://www.skoolie.net/gallery2/v/Skoolies/foggymorn/

foggymorn, hit the quote next to this quote to see how I did these pictures.

Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 08:53 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

steve, thanks for the help.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:02 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 366 propane
Rated Cap: 56
So much possibility, however it looks like an epic undertaking. How is the mechanical on her? That would be my biggest concern. The possibility of breaking down in the middle of nowhere and the inability to find parts for a very vintage machine. However, it will be somthing special when it's done. Did you purchase it off the previous "hippy" owners? It would be great to see some pictures when she was in her hayday (sp?). Anyways keep us posted and good luck. -Richard
captainkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 10:31 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

I will try to make a long story short. My husband has a 93 fxr, he was teaching me to ride. I loved it so I bought my own bike. my budget was limited so I got a sporty. Unbelievably it was harder to ride than his big bike! I wrecked it the third time out. I hurt myself and it scared me to death. later lionel wanted me to trade my bike for some old car that had been chopped but needs finished(my husband does body,paint,and frame work. we often have cool projects) I told him no, if I was going to do any wheelin and dealin it would be for something that I wanted. Then I started thinking WOW what do I want? It took me one day to realize tha I just might have the power to get my bus. I have wanted one for as long as I can remember. I started looking on line and calling the bus barns. It looked like I would have to sell my bike first, one problem....it was wrecked! then one day I see this bus parked in front of a motorhome that was for sale so I called the number. The bus was not for sale but had been in the past. I told the lady that I didn't have any money only a harley to trade. Her husband called me back rather quickly and the deal was on. I got the bus and 2 thousand dollars.....he got a wrecked sporty. Sweet deal if ya ask me. Now I had to find a way to tell my husband! As for the mechanics I don't know much. I know that she startedright up and drove us home. She needs tires and brakes and a set of king pins for sure. I am a harley widow in the sunny months so going through her will wait until winter. All the guys at the shop keep telling me that she would make a "killer Rat Rod" whatever that is. Lionel and I are having a hard time deciding wether we should leave her stock or not. I have found several stovebolter web sites that offer much info along with where to get parts. But we have not decided what to do just yet. All I know about the previous owner is that the bus was given to him as a gift. THe guy who gave it to him did the conversion work seen in the pics in 2000. So for now I will work on the inside, maybee start some body work. But I go back to school next monday so after that the project will slow down. Can anyone tell me what a wayne body is? Some one asked me the other day if I had a wayne body. I dunno
Old 09-13-2006, 11:22 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggymorn
Can anyone tell me what a wayne body is? Some one asked me the other day if I had a wayne body. I dunno
The chassis of buses are made by the manufacturer such as Chevy, Ford, or International.

The bodies of buses however are made by a coach company such as Wayne, Ward, or Blue Bird.

So your bus is a Chevrolet truck with Wayne coachwork (from the windsheild back).
Old 09-13-2006, 11:58 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

cool Steve thanks! I have been trying to run the serial number That is on a metal manufacturing plate insaide the bus. I wanted to know the make and model as they are left blank on the plate. It was manufactured by Valley bus & Equipment co. in Fresno Ca. model is left blank. Serial # C49 109 and the gross rating is left blank. Can you tell me more about the bus? What are the differences between the Wayne , Ward or Blue bird. I know mine is very round inside. Short and round. I love the roundness off the dash area, but wish it were a little taller. I want to put a deck on top. I think the bus is a 1 1/2 ton, in 49 chevrolet made two different buses. the other was a 3 ton. the only way I know how to tell is by measuring the wheel base? is that the right word? Anyway...one is 166 in and the other is 199 or something liike that. I have not had the chance to measure it yet. Back to the deck...I am not sure how to tell how much weight it can haul. or what the best way to go about building one is. Any help would be great.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:02 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Hey steve How do you get a picture off your bus up there by your name? Does one have to earn it with so many posts? I would like to have myrtle under my name
Old 09-13-2006, 01:06 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

I did one for you since you said you are new to this. If you want to change it in the future take a look at this topic for instructions.

How to get an avatar.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:26 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Gorgeous bus...I WILL own a cool old bus like that one day. In the meantime I'm stuck with my more modern '89 Ford-Wayne.

Wheelbase was the correct term. measure between the wheels from middle to middle.

As for figuring out what you can haul....I wouldn't worry too much about it as long as you keep things reasonable. Start by getting the bus weighed. Most scales will give you specific axle weights as well as total weight. Next you're going to have to climb under and find a tag on the rear axle or try and figure out some other way of identifying it. Assuming the tires are matched to the max gross axle weight, subtract what the scale says from what the max weight is....that how much more the rear axle can handle. I don't think you need to worry too much about the front axle as you won't be adding much weight on that end of things, but keep it reasonable. I've said it before of old buses...I'd atleast think about upgrading to a later model rear axle as it's relatively cheap, makes parts easier and cheaper to come by, and just plain gives piece of mind.

To learn more about the coach body (assuming it is in fact a Wayne-I haven't looked at many pictures), I would condier joining the Wayne Bus Enthusiats club on yahoo. Those guys are amazing with many of them coming from bus driving pasts or from working at Wayne.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:29 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Thanx for the pic Steve your the best. We are ctually looking to change or upgrade a lot of the mechanical stuff. although I have not ever driven a bus I did have a little 19 ft caveman motorhome, that I loved driving around. I think it was a 78 ? I really lucked out with this bus, I think she is beautifull. I am thinking about painting her a flat black and then taking the air brush and turning the front of her into an eagle, with the hood being the beak. then run some orange harley wings down the sides. And toll painting "Mama's Harley " in an arc above the back windows. AHH but I have a lot of dreams for this girl.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:59 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

If you have the skills your bus would look great as a huge woody wagon.
Old 09-14-2006, 04:42 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Well I just got back from working on the bus....Turns out that I am going to take the floor all the way out. But I am really surprized that not all of the wood is bad. It is only bad around the edges. Mostly at the front entrance and along the back where a window was broken. I have read many posts about removing the floors but here is the thing. I don't have a metal floor under my wood. I have the center rubber matt, and tar with tarpaper on the outsides, on top of 3/4 subflooring.The subflooring is screwed to the frame. Is that how it left the factory? And should I re-build in the same manor? Are there any easy ways to get that tar paper off?
Old 09-15-2006, 12:55 AM   #14
Skoolie

That's awesome. I have a 58 Chevy/Wayne and 64 GMC/Wayne. Luckily you have flat glass all the way around. I can't find glass for my 58 (vandalized). I bought the 64 because it had complete glass. Can't wait to see what all you do with it. How many side windows on the passenger side? I think mine have 7 & 8.
davido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 08:16 AM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

It has seven windows on the passenger side. I looked at your bus the other day. It's great. I was looking for other people with similar busses. Man there are a lot of cool busses. Does yours have only a wood floor? what did you do with yours?
Old 09-15-2006, 09:44 AM   #16
Skoolie

I have just aquired mine in the last couple of months. I'm not sure what will become of the 58 body (windows are broken and replacements can't be had evidently). The 64 body is the one I'm currently working on. The front clip of the 64 is rusted out from IL roads so the plan is to swap the 58 front clip to it (for the desired look also).

My project is more for a tailgating/hot rod project than an RV. Ever since attending the Lonestar Roundup last spring I've been itching for a "pre-63" project, so here we are. My plan is custom paint, stickers, lowered/bagged suspension, and 24" polished alum. wheels. Mostly for driving around town. I would eventually like to put a 5.9 in it and take it on road trips. I'd probably even sell my current 3/4 ton pickup and use it for towing instead. We'll see how it shakes out. My FJ40 buildup started 7 years ago, took over 3 years to get functional, and still isn't "complete" so....
davido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 02:44 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

My husband and the guys at the shop have been talking about all the cool stuff they could do with my bus. They get to do the mechanical stuff I get the inside and the paint( it is free advertisement for the business). I am going with an eagle and harley stuff, since we have friends that we ride with and I traded mine for the bus. I am more into the wood work on the inside. And I was thinking that I would throw my own sink. (pottery) But it would be like a ceramic bowl, so I have been trying to figure out how to mount it. I am going to start putting the bus in car shows locally. That should be a fun way to watch her develope. Mostly I will use the bus for Ma and Pa trips...girl weekends..(a fair trade for hunting trips ) And of coarse when I am selling my pottery.
Old 09-17-2006, 09:59 AM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Well I worked on pulling the floor yesterday....we ended up just using the portapower from underneath and forcing the floor up. I pulled as many screws as I could see but in the end the portapower did the job. I got all of the tar paper up but I couldn't get the tar up and it hid several screws. The wood was worse than it looked, it didn't take much to pop those screws through. I start school tomorrow so the bus will now be a weekend project.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:41 AM   #19
Skoolie

When you throw the bowl for the sink, you have two mounting options:
under the sink, or a drop-in mounting.

I REALLY recommend you look at sinks in the local home centers/kitchen/bath stores. Some of them are upscale hand-thrown sinks, so you can get a good idea from the displays.

If placing it under the counter, use a good quality silicone caulk/adhesive. It's best to have the counter upside-down, and glue the sink in place. Don't disturb it until completely cured, this may take several days!
You MUST use a solid-surface countertop material like granite or composite like Corian, etc. You can't use laminate material, as moisture would attack it in no time flat.
You CAN use laminate countertops if top-mounting the sink, just make sure you seal the edges realy well to avoid moisture creeping under it to delaminate it.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:31 AM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for the advice, do you throw? One of my major concerns is the shrinkage in the kiln, and fitting the plumbing. I wonder if it would be worth throwing it or if I should just buy one. I just want as much of this bus to be crafted by myself as possible. Gotta go to school! BIG PSYC TEST TODAY!