Old 09-13-2006, 02:29 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Thanx for the pic Steve your the best. We are ctually looking to change or upgrade a lot of the mechanical stuff. although I have not ever driven a bus I did have a little 19 ft caveman motorhome, that I loved driving around. I think it was a 78 ? I really lucked out with this bus, I think she is beautifull. I am thinking about painting her a flat black and then taking the air brush and turning the front of her into an eagle, with the hood being the beak. then run some orange harley wings down the sides. And toll painting "Mama's Harley " in an arc above the back windows. AHH but I have a lot of dreams for this girl.
foggymorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 02:59 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve
If you have the skills your bus would look great as a huge woody wagon.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 05:42 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Well I just got back from working on the bus....Turns out that I am going to take the floor all the way out. But I am really surprized that not all of the wood is bad. It is only bad around the edges. Mostly at the front entrance and along the back where a window was broken. I have read many posts about removing the floors but here is the thing. I don't have a metal floor under my wood. I have the center rubber matt, and tar with tarpaper on the outsides, on top of 3/4 subflooring.The subflooring is screwed to the frame. Is that how it left the factory? And should I re-build in the same manor? Are there any easy ways to get that tar paper off?
Old 09-15-2006, 01:55 AM   #14
Skoolie

That's awesome. I have a 58 Chevy/Wayne and 64 GMC/Wayne. Luckily you have flat glass all the way around. I can't find glass for my 58 (vandalized). I bought the 64 because it had complete glass. Can't wait to see what all you do with it. How many side windows on the passenger side? I think mine have 7 & 8.
davido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 09:16 AM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

It has seven windows on the passenger side. I looked at your bus the other day. It's great. I was looking for other people with similar busses. Man there are a lot of cool busses. Does yours have only a wood floor? what did you do with yours?
Old 09-15-2006, 10:44 AM   #16
Skoolie

I have just aquired mine in the last couple of months. I'm not sure what will become of the 58 body (windows are broken and replacements can't be had evidently). The 64 body is the one I'm currently working on. The front clip of the 64 is rusted out from IL roads so the plan is to swap the 58 front clip to it (for the desired look also).

My project is more for a tailgating/hot rod project than an RV. Ever since attending the Lonestar Roundup last spring I've been itching for a "pre-63" project, so here we are. My plan is custom paint, stickers, lowered/bagged suspension, and 24" polished alum. wheels. Mostly for driving around town. I would eventually like to put a 5.9 in it and take it on road trips. I'd probably even sell my current 3/4 ton pickup and use it for towing instead. We'll see how it shakes out. My FJ40 buildup started 7 years ago, took over 3 years to get functional, and still isn't "complete" so....
davido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 03:44 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

My husband and the guys at the shop have been talking about all the cool stuff they could do with my bus. They get to do the mechanical stuff I get the inside and the paint( it is free advertisement for the business). I am going with an eagle and harley stuff, since we have friends that we ride with and I traded mine for the bus. I am more into the wood work on the inside. And I was thinking that I would throw my own sink. (pottery) But it would be like a ceramic bowl, so I have been trying to figure out how to mount it. I am going to start putting the bus in car shows locally. That should be a fun way to watch her develope. Mostly I will use the bus for Ma and Pa trips...girl weekends..(a fair trade for hunting trips ) And of coarse when I am selling my pottery.
Old 09-17-2006, 10:59 AM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Well I worked on pulling the floor yesterday....we ended up just using the portapower from underneath and forcing the floor up. I pulled as many screws as I could see but in the end the portapower did the job. I got all of the tar paper up but I couldn't get the tar up and it hid several screws. The wood was worse than it looked, it didn't take much to pop those screws through. I start school tomorrow so the bus will now be a weekend project.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:41 AM   #19
Skoolie

When you throw the bowl for the sink, you have two mounting options:
under the sink, or a drop-in mounting.

I REALLY recommend you look at sinks in the local home centers/kitchen/bath stores. Some of them are upscale hand-thrown sinks, so you can get a good idea from the displays.

If placing it under the counter, use a good quality silicone caulk/adhesive. It's best to have the counter upside-down, and glue the sink in place. Don't disturb it until completely cured, this may take several days!
You MUST use a solid-surface countertop material like granite or composite like Corian, etc. You can't use laminate material, as moisture would attack it in no time flat.
You CAN use laminate countertops if top-mounting the sink, just make sure you seal the edges realy well to avoid moisture creeping under it to delaminate it.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:31 AM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for the advice, do you throw? One of my major concerns is the shrinkage in the kiln, and fitting the plumbing. I wonder if it would be worth throwing it or if I should just buy one. I just want as much of this bus to be crafted by myself as possible. Gotta go to school! BIG PSYC TEST TODAY!