Old 05-05-2005, 12:40 PM   #1

other conversions, starter project

This year i plan on upgrading my starter project, (that is ) making it bigger.

I plan on increasing it in length so that the living room area is bigger and an extra speeping area may be added. I also plan on keeping the current fold out room, but with some improvments and reinforcments.

I have ben drawing on paper several different design options, such as increasing its size lengthwise, or adding a foldout room on the oposite side, or adding a slide out (lengthwise).

I havent yet decided which one to do, but i am leaning twards a lengthwise upgrade.

The (camper) unit is bolted down to a flatbed trailer currently and can be removed. It was built with the intent, so that i could remove it for maintenance, or to put it on something else, (another trailer, flat bed truck or stand alone on a cement slab). It takes 4 hydrolic jacks at each corner of the unit, placed under the 2x6's which are bolted to the housing. The unit is then elivated off the trailer bed and the trailer is pulled out from under it.

My questions are, is it possible to add another axle to an existing single axle trailer?

If it is found to not be practical, does anyone know anything about the strenght and reliability charicteristics of aluma light trailers or similer products?

Bill
Old 05-07-2005, 09:52 PM   #2

adding axle

Yes, it is possible to add, but I am unsure if it would be cost affective. My Dad was going to add a second axle to his trailer and found out that he was better off buying another instead.
RevKaryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 09:58 AM   #3
Skoolie

Bill, I can tell you what I’ve learned about this in my research for building our 35 ft. 5th wheel.
Yes you can add an extra axle, but it’s not a good thing to do.
Here’s why ….

Trailer frames are sized to handle pretty particular weight loads. Engineers/designers sit down and figure out the correct steel framing size for each trailer they design…then pop the appropriate sized axle ,springs etc.on her.
When a person tries to add some extra weight carrying capacity to a little trailer like yours (by adding an extra axle) …you’re asking too much of the trailer frame, which is probably pretty flimsy already.

There are ways to stiffen up the frame to handle an extra load …you can weld some extra cross members and such to it. But even so that might not be enough.

I was looking at your trailer pics here in the gallery and am wondering what type of frame you used to build on…..Boat trailer?

Michael
http://www.mobilehomestead.com
Old 05-08-2005, 01:45 PM   #4

reply to soused moose, upgrade starter projects

soused moose,
The trailer itself useto be an old (camper) travel trailer (most likley, a shasta) that fell into so much disrepair in someones yard that it was not worth saving. The owner gave it to me and i striped it down to the bare frame. I initialy cleaned the frame down and fitted it with plywood for use as a flatbed utility trailed, which i used for trips accross country. I later built this camper shell to fit on it.

Bill

Where would be a good place to find good multipourpose utility trailers ?
Old 05-09-2005, 08:57 AM   #5
Skoolie

Bill before I settled on our final plan to buy everything (axles , wheels steel etc.) And use a set of 5th wheel trailer plans to build our new Rolling Home with… I thought of buying some sort of large flatbed utility trailer to build on.

In my research I found….There’s a Lot of websites out there that are run by businesses that build these trailers.
Here’s one …that has a bunch of very reasonably priced trailers for sale.
http://www.tjtrailers.com/store/flatbed ... -axle.html

I live on an Island off the coast of Alaska where we have nothing in the way of Junk Yards….but down in your neck of the woods I bet there are numerous options to find a used tandem trailer for very little.
One thing to watch out for ….when buying used is …
A travel trailer frame on the lighter weight units take a big beating over the years and often get twisted out of ‘True’.
I suggest going for a flatbed style of trailer because unlike a travel trailers frame which uses the body ( house part ) to stiffen itself up….flatbeds are designed with enough steel to be pretty strong by themselves.

Michael
http://www.mobilehomestead.com
Old 05-10-2005, 09:31 PM   #6

upgrade

I was thinkin of the posibility of improving the ( ride) of the trailer before puting anything on a trailer that i come to aquire (new / used).

Would instaling shocks on a trailer improve the ride at all ?
Old 05-11-2005, 08:17 AM   #7
Skoolie

Absolutely yes … adding shocks to a trailer will improve its ride in the sense of less stuff being bounced about in the trailer.

I’m going for shocks designed for trailers by Monroe…
Here’s a site that sells them (this is just to give you an idea of what they look like , you can find them cheaper elsewhere)

http://www.shockwarehouse.com/cgi-bin/s ... rokit.html