Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2016, 07:32 PM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird - mini bird
Chassis: chevy P30
Engine: 6.2
Rated Cap: 36!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlleyCat67 View Post
Most people don't. They do the side walls with wood, either securing wood to the ribs, or install runners down the length of the bus and secure their outer wood covering to that.

I'm not sure you COULD reuse the sheet metal that came off... I guess it would depend on how much damage you did to it taking it off, and what the condition of the inside surface is.
I guess with that being said, our main concern about taking the walls off is to clean/get more insulation in there for when we hit next winter..
We will have a wood burner in there for heat, but i would really like to be as efficient as possible in the bus with minimal heat loss..

so if i didn't remove the panels that would make my work load so much easier and less of a hassle. what would anyone recommend for insulation to walls rather than just wood panels?

TimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 07:39 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the 4L80E is an electronic transmission.. I didnt realize the 6.2 Diesels ever had a PCM capable of running an electronic transmission..

the 700R4 is a mechanical version of a 4L60E.. up through 92.. in 93 it became a 4L60, and some cars got the E version which was a 4L60E...

if its truly a 4L80E that was normally marked on the pan... the iones I had which were 700R4's just said 'Hydramatic' on the pan..

and they have a cable going from the transmission to the engine throttle bracket and only a few wires..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 08:03 PM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

hmm ill double check on that again tomorrow in the daylight forsure, thanks for the information.
By what i found on the site and by the pan bolts looks like its the 4l80e, and the p-30 chassis manual shows that there was options for the 4L80E starting in 91', but not sure if only on class "A" or not..
Old 11-16-2016, 08:56 PM   #24
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Detroit MBE906
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeTraveler View Post
I guess with that being said, our main concern about taking the walls off is to clean/get more insulation in there for when we hit next winter..
We will have a wood burner in there for heat, but i would really like to be as efficient as possible in the bus with minimal heat loss..

so if i didn't remove the panels that would make my work load so much easier and less of a hassle. what would anyone recommend for insulation to walls rather than just wood panels?
The main reason you pull the sheet metal is to make sure your insulation below the windows (which isn't great to start with) is not moldy or otherwise deteriorated..... if there's mold/mildew in there it means you have a leak somewhere that you need to find and fix. You want to strip it all out and either spray foam or cut foam boards to fit snugly in the space, then put your wood (or whatever you decide to use) over the top of that.
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
AlleyCat67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 09:50 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Quote:
hmm ill double check on that again tomorrow in the daylight forsure, thanks for the information.
By what i found on the site and by the pan bolts looks like its the 4l80e, and the p-30 chassis manual shows that there was options for the 4L80E starting in 91', but not sure if only on class "A" or not..

are you running a 6.2 diesel or a gasser? they may very well have ,ade that transmission in there. I just never knew the 6.2 diesel had the capabilities.. or that there was a standalone controller for it... but I lean new things here every day... one of the reasons I like this forum so much.
-Christopher
Old 11-16-2016, 10:31 PM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlleyCat67 View Post
The main reason you pull the sheet metal is to make sure your insulation below the windows (which isn't great to start with) is not moldy or otherwise deteriorated..... if there's mold/mildew in there it means you have a leak somewhere that you need to find and fix. You want to strip it all out and either spray foam or cut foam boards to fit snugly in the space, then put your wood (or whatever you decide to use) over the top of that.

okay, so yeah what i was thinking of originally doing, but then got to thinking what is going to secure my wall? do i put wood studs along the inside of the walls after i removed sheet metal to have something for the wall to nail to? i don't want to have nails going thru to the outside of the bus, that would be a nightmare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
are you running a 6.2 diesel or a gasser? they may very well have ,ade that transmission in there. I just never knew the 6.2 diesel had the capabilities.. or that there was a standalone controller for it... but I lean new things here every day... one of the reasons I like this forum so much.
-Christopher
I have the 6.2 Detroit Diesel with the grease car kit. that got me to thinking, ill check my fuse box and see what i could find by looking at that to see if there would be one for the power train/transmission control module. one would think it would have a fuse... hopefully

edit* according the the P30 chassis manual the 4L80E was equipped only in class "A" vehicles, mine is a class A. I don't have any marking on my trans other than hydramatic and some random numbers which looked up provides nothing..

and as far as my fuses go, i have a 10A ECM-CRNK FUSE, 10A ECM-BAT FUSE, and a 10A TRANS FUSE. are the only that i would think that would be related to that. when i look at pictures of the 4L80E it looks similar.
and just verified with another forum about the number of pan bolts determining the transmission type. and another thing is the harness on the 4L60E is on the passenger side as opposed to the 4L80E its on the drivers side.
Old 11-17-2016, 07:29 AM   #27
Bus Geek

cool stuff... the 4L80E in my opinion is one of the best transmissions out there.. unusual for it to be malfunctioning.. they are normally pretty bulletproof.. but when they go the 3-4 clutch pack is the one that goes first.. the electronics on those arent hard, i think the TCC is the only PWM piece, the reat of it is solenoids.. people can and do build their own custom trans controllers for those with Arduino's / Basic stamp controllers.. I built one and never used it.. sold the car before I had a chance..
-Christopher
Old 11-17-2016, 08:09 AM   #28
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Detroit MBE906
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
okay, so yeah what i was thinking of originally doing, but then got to thinking what is going to secure my wall? do i put wood studs along the inside of the walls after i removed sheet metal to have something for the wall to nail to? i don't want to have nails going thru to the outside of the bus, that would be a nightmare.
Which is exactly why you fasten some runners to the metal ribs... gives you something to fasten your interior skin, cabinetry, etc to. Just don't use too long nails or screws, definitely don't want to pierce the outer shell. The space between the runners is also a good place to run your electric lines (inside conduit to prevent chafing of the insulation) if you don't build framing like in a traditional house (your other choice).
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
AlleyCat67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 11:34 AM   #29

Hey! I'm really loving the build as of right now, hope Otis is still kicking on the road! If you read this, i just had a quick question regarding your first problems with him. I have the same make and model mini-bird, and I'm currently trying to figure out where the fuel pump is located. I tried to bleed the lines myself as well but no gas was coming through. If you could share your pump knowledge I'd be super grateful!

-Jaren
jarender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 11:32 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarender View Post
Hey! I'm really loving the build as of right now, hope Otis is still kicking on the road! If you read this, i just had a quick question regarding your first problems with him. I have the same make and model mini-bird, and I'm currently trying to figure out where the fuel pump is located. I tried to bleed the lines myself as well but no gas was coming through. If you could share your pump knowledge I'd be super grateful!

-Jaren
I know this was an old request, but I also have a blue bird mini bird and it's good to know where that pump is as it tends to leak. Mine is a 2000, but I'm almost positive that pump will be very near the door under the bus (left of the door if looking at the bus from a standing position). Turn the key until the glow plug cycles on and slide under the area to the left of the door. The pump should be clicking and will give away its position. It's a small cylindrical thing that looks a lot like a diesel parking heater pump. There really should be more threads about this model as its a good platform for a skoolie and terribly hard to find DIY info on it.
tucktuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 02:20 PM   #31
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
go to your auto parts store web sight and look up your pump and look at a picture of it.
then you will have a better idea of what you are looking for.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 03:16 PM   #32

Hello! I know it's been a long time since you last posted, but if you're still active and see this, I'd love to ask you SO MANY QUESTIONS!
Vices is offline   Reply With Quote