Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2016, 02:33 PM   #281
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mash View Post
What stove did you go with ??
obviously not the smallest one they had....whew! I pity the person that will be sitting on the couch! All the wood in the bus with that tremendous heat will dry it out. I'm just sayin...

100MPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 02:45 PM   #282
Almost There

I mean cooking stove.
Mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 02:24 PM   #283
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mash View Post
I mean cooking stove.
Cooking stove is a mid 80's Magic Chef unit we got second hand, four burner with a fairly large oven. Works well but if anything ever goes wrong with it we'll have to replace it, they don't make parts for it anymore...the price was right.
Old 03-07-2016, 02:25 PM   #284
Almost There

Darn. I dint kniw what to get.
Mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 02:33 PM   #285
Bus Nut

Old 03-07-2016, 04:11 PM   #286
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat
Bathroom window is awesome man! You guys do stained glass as well I see. I love that stuff!

Looks great.

-Doc
Docsgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:31 PM   #287
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth
Love the interior glass!!! And if the dog is happy, everyone is happy
Old 10-02-2016, 10:31 AM   #288
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Subscribed
Old 10-06-2016, 03:44 PM   #289
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Engine: T444E
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyedeal.ink View Post
New front door, seals out the rain/cold/spiders/mice. Removed glass, covered holes with plastic and duct tape. Two sheets of 1/2" exterior grade plywood cut to within 1/4" door size screwed together to get 1" total (original bus doors thickness). Traced windows onto plywood then drew a cut line 3/4" inside of that. Cut out window openings and routed them on both sides with a 1/2" round bit. Plywood unscrewed, retrace windows on the inside and routed out half window thickness out of each side with a straight bit, check fit. Windows were cleaned and covered on both sides with contact paper and set aside at this point.

Now the fun part: cover both sides with cloth and epoxy, hence the rounded edges on the window openings. After both sides were coated with cloth and four additional topcoats the windows were inserted (after removing a 3/4" ring of contact paper that would be inside the wood) and the hole thing was screwed together with 100 3/4" screws and glued with a healthy coating of epoxy and thickener (makes glue). Couple more coats of epoxy makes the screws disappear.

Tarped the front end of the bus and removed doors to see exactly what the frame looks like and to get my hinge. 1 1/4" angle on the hinge side, screwed and epoxied (sealed) with 1" screws on the face and 3 1/2" screws on the edge, all other edges clothed and coated after cutting door to exact size. This angle was drilled and tapped for (20) 1" 1/4-20 bolts (same as the original steal doors). After a few coats of paint, caulking was applied around the windows and the door was mounted and weather stripping and door hardware added. Given that the door is only 1 1/8" thick overall, we were limited to storm door hardware but we found a fairly secure set with a deadbolt. The air actuated door opener was removed, makes a perfect spot for the 20 ton jack and some gloves, etc, just need to make a latching door.
Yeah, if a window gets broken it'll be no easy fix, gotta roll the dice sometimes. 3 weeks and $300 worth of wood, epoxy, cloth, steel and hardware.

Hi,
Amazing job! Bravo!
Is it possible to have more pics and info about this door build?
I'm thinking about removing the stock door to install or build one.
Phil&Melat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 03:53 PM   #290
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Detroit MBE906
Amazing, I love this! That door LOOKS stock, preserves the classic skoolie look. Might have to do something similar with mine, only thing is my door is pretty much all glass so have to figure some other way to preserve the look of an all glass door.
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
AlleyCat67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 09:09 PM   #291

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyedeal.ink View Post
Anytime! Just give us a day or two heads up and we'd be glad to show it.
Are you still open to giving a tour of your bus? I live in Vancouver, WA and would love to see it.
Marshallgigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 06:09 PM   #292

Just read through your entire build and it was well worth it! BTW, just curious; did you decide to go with a larger than normal wood burning stove because you did not remove the ceiling and insulate the heck out of it plus keeping the factory windows and therefore having a massive heat loss?

I think it turned out awesome. Really enjoyed learning from you.
Azules9780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 01:04 AM   #293
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azules9780 View Post
Just read through your entire build and it was well worth it! BTW, just curious; did you decide to go with a larger than normal wood burning stove because you did not remove the ceiling and insulate the heck out of it plus keeping the factory windows and therefore having a massive heat loss?
Thanks. The wood burning stove is a mobile home unit so it's safe, it looks really big but the top and sides are double wall and the back is triple (I can put my hand on the back of the stove even after days of constant burning). Actually the deciding factor on the model we went with was it was one of a few within 50 miles on craigslist and it was only $100 with the telescoping double wall pipe. I can't imagine having it any other way, this is the perfect stove for our home, this winter we had weeks of below freezing temperatures and it's kept it nice and cozy, we wake up and it's still 70 degrees most mornings. We have the fans on the stove top and a small ac fan on the floor aimed at the ceiling just forward of the stove that keeps the ceiling from getting hot and keeps the floor warm not to mention keeps condensation at bay up front. I can't even imagine a smaller stove (unless like you said we replaced the windows and raised/insulated the roof) and I wouldn't change the placement either, we sleep with a fan on and layer a comforter and a wool blanket (with a heated blanket in the winter) as needed, prefer the cooler air when we sleep.

As for the comment earlier by someone about our stove making everything too dry that hasn't been the case either. Aside from the summer months we run a dehumidifier every morning for an hour pulling roughly 2.5 gallons of water out of our air about once a week; three people in a steal shell are gonna make moisture.
Old 02-26-2017, 01:38 AM   #294
Bus Nut

We've been living in our skoolie for a year, no issues yet, all systems go. I'd post some pics but it's easier to send you to our instagram: follow us at https://www.instagram.com/hunky_dory_bus/
Old 02-26-2017, 10:19 AM   #295

Red face Inspiration!

Wow! You guys did a great job. so clean and thorough!
You give inspiration to those of us just thinking about buying a bus and changing our life style ! Bravo !
P. Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:29 PM   #296
Mini-Skoolie

Thumbs up Amazing build!

Just read through the whole thread today and love it! You are talented and this bus is a one of a kind treasure...

Will continue to follow and refer back to this thread when building my own bus.
tfarrskoolbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 04:18 PM   #297
Bus Nut

Just remarked to the wife this morning, "you know, we've been living in a bus for two years now?" Sometimes it's easy to forget, it just feels like home, just seems so regular and normal now. Still haven't had any issues, good luck out there skoolie family!
Old 05-29-2018, 05:10 PM   #298
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Awesome build, I'm surprised I hadn't seen it before. love the front door and ladder ideas, stealing them both from you.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 05:17 PM   #299
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Awesome build, I'm surprised I hadn't seen it before. love the front door and ladder ideas, stealing them both from you.

Thank you.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:51 PM   #300
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmania View Post
Subscribed

So I walked up and said "Hey man, you don't have a spare pair of shoes you're not using do you?"
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote