Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2012, 08:35 PM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Our Bus, Our Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt
Beautiful! I don't know what you do for a living but if it isn't this you have missed your calling.
You're funny Mr Trunt, thanks for the compliments, made us both smile... Jason's worked a number of construction occupations, he was an electrical engineer and designed/constructed substation control buildings and overhead/underground high voltage transmission lines (one through the middle of San Francisco). For the last three years he's been tattooing fulltime, you can view his work at: http://eyedeal-ink.deviantart.com/ ... this bus will serve as our home on the road at and between tattoo conventions and shop guest spot appearances. It's his (our) first attempt at bus conversion but just like everything else he does, he has to become an expert at it by the time he's finished.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:49 AM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 1973
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: CAT 1160 V-8 Diesel

I saw your artwork on your site. I have always admired people who can draw, paint, tattoo.

I am fairly adept at playing musical instruments.

You, sir, are a most amazing ARTIST.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:55 PM   #23
Bus Nut

After seeing a few of the floor plans worked up in SketchUp on here, we spent a little time planning and working out some details. This little free program has proven to be invaluable, I definitely recommend it.

Still working on a few details but we liked the idea of a somewhat simple and symmetrical design.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:02 PM   #24
Bus Nut

We plan to have the table fold out once or twice, depending on the occasion, or fold up all the way for maximum floor space. Couch will fold out to a bed. Propane range will have a foldout cover that will serve as counter space whether it's extended or not. Hallway door will close into hallway or a small stem wall near the toilet, with the addition of pocket door for the queen bed we'll have a larger bathroom/changing room. The space between the cabinet and the kitchen sink is a floor to ceiling pantry. We plan to use two top load freezers in the kitchen. We'll turn one down all the way for a fridge (we'll add a timer if necessary).
Old 11-05-2012, 03:33 PM   #25
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bookmobile body by Farber
Engine: Navistar DT466/Alison MT643
Rated Cap: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyedeal.ink
We plan to use two top load freezers in the kitchen. We'll turn one down all the way for a fridge (we'll add a timer if necessary).
I'm planning the same thing with two chest freezers. Instead of a timer, look for an add-on temperature controller, like this one on Amazon: Johnson Controls A19AAT-2C Freezer Temperature Controller. Then you can set an exact temp instead of relying on a timer that may or may not get you in the ballpark of a good refrigerator setting.
PDBreske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:49 PM   #26
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDBreske
Quote:
We plan to use two top load freezers in the kitchen. We'll turn one down all the way for a fridge (we'll add a timer if necessary).
I'm planning the same thing with two chest freezers. Instead of a timer, look for an add-on temperature controller, like this one on Amazon: Johnson Controls A19AAT-2C Freezer Temperature Controller. Then you can set an exact temp instead of relying on a timer that may or may not get you in the ballpark of a good refrigerator setting.
Excellent, thank you.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:54 PM   #27
Skoolie

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: 3208TA Cat 250HP
Rated Cap: 84

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by proconsul100
your stove installation looks great! I'm not too far from you. my bus and i are in Lacey Washington. I want to pit a stove in mine as well. i know what you mean about the bad weather. it made installing my window skins a challenge.
I highly recommend it, nothing like a good fire to warm the spirits Your bus is looking great too, we'll definitely have to hook up a WA state skoolie rendezvous this spring...
Great job on the stove install! I too, am a WA' tonian (Above Ice Harbor Dam) I hope to have my stove in (or real close) this weekend, still have to find the 6" Double wall to go out my roof, ceiling box, flashing and roof cap. Keep up the good work...
thommassey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:50 PM   #28
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by thommassey
Great job on the stove install! I too, am a WA' tonian (Above Ice Harbor Dam) I hope to have my stove in (or real close) this weekend, still have to find the 6" Double wall to go out my roof, ceiling box, flashing and roof cap. Keep up the good work...
Thank you, sure are a lot of us from this neck of the woods, wood stove just seems logical huh?

I'm still working on the hearth, river rock will look cool but it is a slow labor of love. Working on some aluminum trim to cap off the breathable wall with..got a great deal on some aluminum 1x3x1/8 square tube and decided I could rip it into 1x3 angle using the table saw. Seems every little thing I do on this thing becomes its own little hours long job (sometimes hours turn into days)...this aluminum trim will be no exception...gotta cut a couple 45's, drill a bunch of breather holes (in some geometric or swirl type pattern - haven't quite got it figured out) clean it all up, sand it with coarse to medium to fine to 400 to polish and install (days) then I can finish the rock on the walls.

Good luck with the box and chimney and feel free to ask any questions you may have, I've only done this once but you're free to any knowledge I gained.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:33 PM   #29
Almost There

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH
Engine: 466
Rated Cap: 64

I'm really liking this thread- great pics, great ideas, really like that stove installation! Keep the good stuff coming!
dburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:17 AM   #30
Skoolie

Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 3208TA Cat 250HP
Rated Cap: 84

[/quote] Good luck with the box and chimney and feel free to ask any questions you may have, I've only done this once but you're free to any knowledge I gained.[/quote]

Thanks... may take you up on that.
thommassey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:51 PM   #31
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Wayne
Engine: DT466

Ugh...was planning on putting a woodstove in mine, but extra seating won out. Seriously wishing I had stuck to my guns. Hmmmm.....

Brutus
JakeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:42 AM   #32
Bus Nut

Just a little note to resurrect our post here. Jason had surgery on his neck to replace a herniated disc the 2nd week of December (two months ago) and this is the kind of thing that can sideline a project real fast. Nothing but good news though, Jason is pain free, back to work and just last night we spent a little time adding some more rock to the hearth and just cleaning/organizing, taking inventory of where we're at, it's been a long two and a half months but it's good to be back on the bus build, we'll post more updates soon.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:33 AM   #33
Bus Geek

That's good to hear!
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:43 PM   #34

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

Glad to hear he surgery went OK. Now get back to work.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:33 AM   #35
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: BlueBird
Engine: 8.3 Cummins

Glad to hear the surgery has gone well. Looking forward to some pictures.
syke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:24 PM   #36
Bus Crazy

Year: 1973
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: CAT 1160 V-8 Diesel

Surgery? I hope you have good medical insurance. The only thing I could depend on is the Veteran's Hospital. Even then, I might die before they could fix me.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:48 PM   #37
Bus Geek

Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenly3lues
I love the start you have on the bus! Don't have a bus yet, but when I do it will be getting a woodstove. Question though... could having all of that massive amount of iron right behind the driver be deadly in a crash? Is there no chance of it coming loose? I guess the same could be said of anything in a bus/RV, but I would consider a similar setup if I could be sure it wasn't going to come loose and break the driver's back in a crash.
Here lies Heavenly3lues, taken out by a crazed jar of mayonnaise that escaped the cupboard and took a flying leap thru the air....

The stove is likely to be better secured than the contents of the cabinet, refrigerator or that pretty chotsky that is just laying on a table or counter just waiting for the opportunity to transform into a deadly flying projectile and become infamous simply because an inane object was responsible for the death of a human. Every one will be talking about it... "Did you hear about the guy who got killed by the chotsky?" It will get on youtube (because some one will catch it on camera) where it will become a media sensation.

https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:52 AM   #38
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenly3lues
I love the start you have on the bus! Don't have a bus yet, but when I do it will be getting a woodstove. Question though... could having all of that massive amount of iron right behind the driver be deadly in a crash? Is there no chance of it coming loose? I guess the same could be said of anything in a bus/RV, but I would consider a similar setup if I could be sure it wasn't going to come loose and break the driver's back in a crash.
Here lies Heavenly3lues, taken out by a crazed jar of mayonnaise that escaped the cupboard and took a flying leap thru the air....

The stove is likely to be better secured than the contents of the cabinet, refrigerator or that pretty chotsky that is just laying on a table or counter just waiting for the opportunity to transform into a deadly flying projectile and become infamous simply because an inane object was responsible for the death of a human. Every one will be talking about it... "Did you hear about the guy who got killed by the chotsky?" It will get on youtube (because some one will catch it on camera) where it will become a media sensation.

That's funny, same thing I said when Jason read this to me, watch out for the deadly flying plate or bowl. As for the stove coming loose, that's not gonna happen, four 5/8" carriage bolts with custom 1/4" steel plate "washers" underneath provide for a secure installation.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:55 AM   #39
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accordion
Surgery? I hope you have good medical insurance. The only thing I could depend on is the Veteran's Hospital. Even then, I might die before they could fix me.
We feel very fortunate to have the medical insurance...the permanent job is temporary as is the apartment we've downsized to, once we move into our bus and hit the road we'll be amongst the uninsured for the first time in decades...something to think about for sure.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:01 PM   #40
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal
Glad to hear he surgery went OK. Now get back to work.
Thanks Cal, yeah, back to work...this last weekend we spent a little more time prepping for the next stage. This kind of project is tough to get back on once you lose your head wind but I think we're starting to get it back. We picked up a used 4 burner magic chef stove/oven and a kitchen sink off craigslist and finished up the main kitchen cabinet design, gotta wait til the weekend again to get it built and installed but it looks like that's where we'll start on the interior once we button up the exterior walls. Wish we could work more but tax season is Jason's busy season.