Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2014, 11:37 AM   #121
Mini-Skoolie

Re: Our Bus, Our Home

Hi guys! The build looks beautiful, I keep referring to your pictures to plan mine. I was wondering if you could share the measurements of your bus from drivers seat back. I'm getting stuck on my floor plans and can't seem to find the basic inside dimensions of a full size bus.
Thanks! Can't wait to see how everything is coming,
Jessie

Gypsydreamg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:03 PM   #122
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsydreamg
Hi guys! The build looks beautiful, I keep referring to your pictures to plan mine. I was wondering if you could share the measurements of your bus from drivers seat back. I'm getting stuck on my floor plans and can't seem to find the basic inside dimensions of a full size bus.
Thanks! Can't wait to see how everything is coming,
Jessie
Thanks Jessie, from the drivers seat to the very back is 29 feet, bus total length is 39. We could have had more room to work with with a flatnose bus but we were set on the dognose from the start.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:30 PM   #123
Mini-Skoolie

Perfect! Now it looks more realistic. And I agree, I just like the look of the dog nose better. Thanks
Gypsydreamg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 02:19 PM   #124
Bus Nut

Been a while, still making progress. New years day we made the decision to move the bus ten miles up the road to finish her up at Janelle's parents house. At that point it had been a year since we started the bus, batteries went dead November 2012 and we had an air issue at the time (air dryer was popping off about very 15 seconds) so we were focusing on the inside build with the goal of getting new batteries soon. Took us a couple weekends to get the bus ready to hit the road, namely securing tools and building materials, replacing the batteries, installing a center awning support, and a front door lock. Starting the bus was fairly easy, she fired up immediately and then died and wouldn't fire at all. Put in a call to a friend and he said it sounds like it lost it's prime. Quick trip home to reference the service manual and it turns out we have a hand prime pump and a bleed screw just after our fuel pump. Couple pumps until we saw fuel come out, tightened up the screw and she fired right up. We drove 3 miles down the road to a local diesel mechanic to get the air leak fixed and a DOT inspection. after two days I heard back that aside from an "internal leak" in the air dryer which according to him is "ancient" and the idle being set a little low, the bus checks out perfectly, nearly new on the brakes, updated air lines, oil looks new, and of course the coolant is perfect (we flushed and refilled after removing the interior heaters a year ago). He ended up replacing the governor on the compressor while trying to diagnose the air issue which was a fairly cheap part.

So that leaves us with the air dryer..., hopefully that's the culprit. Anybody have to replace their air dryer? How often does your air dryer "pop off" when you're sitting at an idle or driving without using your breaks or door, etc? According to my mechanic, the system builds pressure until the governor kicks it off and sends a signal to the air dryer to exhaust. It should then hold pressure until the air is used down to a certain pressure at which point the governor kicks it on and the process begins again. He said it should hold air pressure for weeks as long as there's no leaks and the air isn't used.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:17 AM   #125
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E

I really like your build, glad your back , keep up the good work
gbstewart
Old 02-04-2014, 02:40 PM   #126
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbstewart
I really like your build, glad your back , keep up the good work
gbstewart
Thank you.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:51 PM   #127
Bus Nut

Well he was right, air dryer was the culprit, $488 for a new Bendix AD-9 and she holds air beautifully. After stewing over having to buy a new air dryer, I'm happy we replaced it, the dryer saves the rest of your air system in the long run. Drove her ten short miles north and now we're really anxious to get her finished up, she's a pleasure to drive and we've got a "first major road trip" goal for the week of the fourth of July.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:48 PM   #128
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: DT466E

Great build!!! inspiring to get my butt out to finish mine...

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK TOO!!!
https://www.facebook.com/NilesSkoolie
NilesSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:12 PM   #129
Bus Nut

Finished the cupboard doors (they'll need a few more coats of polyurethane) and added handles, tested the propane and stove and cut the tile, we'll glue and grout next weekend.

We made the removable stove cover out of 3/4 plywood with wood rails and wood trim. With a hinged counter support we'll be able to "extend" our counter-top when cooking or take our counter outside to an outside table.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:46 AM   #130
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Super Coach II, 36 Ft. RE
Engine: Cat 3208T, MT643

Very nice indeed!
I noticed that your kitchen outlet is a regular 15 amp outlet. If that hole in the counter is for a sink, you should replace that outlet with a GFCI outlet.

Children drink kOOlaid, adults drink T.E.A.

Gallery: https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/v/Skooli ... +Coach+II/
Locutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:55 AM   #131
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster
Top notch man!

Nat
Thanks man!
Old 02-26-2014, 10:37 AM   #132
Almost There

Year: 1998
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins

very nice work. I am new to the community, so I am seeing all of your build for the first time, we love it.
LandLubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 12:40 PM   #133
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locutus
Very nice indeed!
I noticed that your kitchen outlet is a regular 15 amp outlet. If that hole in the counter is for a sink, you should replace that outlet with a GFCI outlet.
Thanks, yeah that outlet and one next to it are protected by a GFCI breaker, outlets are just too fat to cram into the low profile space. I figure it won't be that bad if it trips, our load center is only across the "hallway", literally one step away. I decided to go this route after cramming one into the bathroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandLubber
very nice work. I am new to the community, so I am seeing all of your build for the first time, we love it.
Thanks guys, slow and steady, like eating an elephant, one bite at a time.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:51 PM   #134
Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: blue bird
Chassis: International, 3000, Blue Bird
Engine: Dt360
Rated Cap: 25000

I've enjoyed the work you have done so far, really is an inspiration, I will be putting tile on our counter tops checked out solid granite countertops they wanted $800. for 8 feet total. I am just made of money or that's what everyone around me thinks, lol, I wish it was so. Thanks for the great photos.
John
Old 02-26-2014, 01:05 PM   #135
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Better Tomorrows
I've enjoyed the work you have done so far, really is an inspiration, I will be putting tile on our counter tops checked out solid granite countertops they wanted $800. for 8 feet total. I am just made of money or that's what everyone around me thinks, lol, I wish it was so. Thanks for the great photos.
John
Thanks, yeah, granite would be cool but the cost and the look wasn't right for us, we wanted something we could set hot stuff on, maybe a pot of soup or something off the woodstove or something. We've had tile in the past just didn't like the lighter grouts, seemed like even if you seal em and kept it clean, the grout always found a way of staining especially near the sink and stove. We also had a problem with cracking wherever someone might be liable to sit. So this time, being that it's a school bus, we'll be using a dark "pewter" grout for the majority and we purchased a couple tubes of matching sanded caulking that we'll be using for the rest, nothing worse than cracked caulk.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:51 PM   #136
Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: blue bird
Chassis: International, 3000, Blue Bird
Engine: Dt360
Rated Cap: 25000

I agree the dark grout will work best, I will have to keep that in mind or I should start to write this stuff down as I forget when I am in the store and buy the wrong items and have to return it later, you know another trip to town, and more money spent on the bus.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:31 PM   #137
Skoolie

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Wayne Chaperone
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350

Nat, I enjoyed the video on you tube, certainly a neat and nice looking install.
schoolmarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:27 AM   #138
Skoolie

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Wayne Chaperone
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350

I don't have a counter top in my bus, If I did this is what I would use.
schoolmarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:29 PM   #139
Bus Nut

We built our countertop out of 1/4" ply glued & nailed to 3/4" ply = 1" plywood. That stuff looks awesome, probably woulda used it if I'd known about it or where to get it, weight and vibration/bumps are always a consideration in these things.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:27 PM   #140
Almost There

Year: 1998
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins

Very nice looking build. Really looking close at your bus. I know it's been awhile since you did the roof's paint job, but I want to mix up the hytech additives as well (to save on the shipping handling). What type of primer did you use on your roof? and what type of paint is good to add the hytech stuff to? I plan to roll it on.
BTW your wood stove is DOPE. Thanks in advance.
LandLubber is offline   Reply With Quote