Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2019, 05:46 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: CAT 3126
Our conversion --- propane question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciscokid View Post
We use the same tank as o1marc. We use the propane for our water heater (16 gallon xt ), the LG gas stove, and our fridge (norcold 1800 polarmax). We fill this up around twice a year and have no issues with this tank. The gas guys look at us funny when we ask them to fill our tank in a school bus but after opening the door and see the DOT tank they have no issues. Drill four holes in the seam flaps under the bus and done deal. I have hit some pot holes big enough to catch bass out of and this thing dont move.

Scott
www.skoolieadventures.com

The ease of mounting these things is the real selling point for me. When I really got to looking at fabbing up something that I felt good about for mounting standard 20 pound bottles it made the idea of paying the money for one of these that mounts easily underneath the floor quite attractive.

Some of my pics from installation.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8893.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	240.6 KB
ID:	30113

Name:	IMG_8892.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	278.2 KB
ID:	30114

Name:	IMG_8891.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	413.1 KB
ID:	30115

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/4-...ner-18205.html
david.dgeorge07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 05:56 PM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Engine: DT408
Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Those looking for cheap, just use multiple 20-lb BBQ size, can build a rack to keep them quiet.

This is what I did (pic taken before skinning the sides and installing door to access storage and tanks):

I can store 4 BBQ tanks in a pretty small space this way.
I am an sojourner in the earth; hide not Your Commandments from me. Psalm 119:19

Here is the patience of the saints; here are the ones keeping the commandments of YAHWEH, and the faith of Yahshua. Rev. 14:12
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 05:58 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by david.dgeorge07 View Post
The ease of mounting these things is the real selling point for me. When I really got to looking at fabbing up something that I felt good about for mounting standard 20 pound bottles it made the idea of paying the money for one of these that mounts easily underneath the floor quite attractive.

Some of my pics from installation.

Attachment 30113

Attachment 30114

Attachment 30115
Thanks for the pics
I think I measured the rib spacing underneath mine at 48" and can grab the flange on each end, so 4 bolt holes is all that's needed to mount this.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 06:04 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Both ways work great.

Nice thing about the stock 20# ones is can refill independently of the bus, leave it in camp if you have another ride available.

And some very remote areas only have the swap style service available, a ripoff $ per gal but can often be better than having to drive 200+ miles to a real town.

Plus, so cheap, often free, get an old worn out one and swap for new, the one time those services are actually good value.

But yes a really well optimized carry rack is a whole 'nother project, if you can afford a big tank that is much easier.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 06:13 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Tractor Supply Company sells propane by the gallon at competitive prices and will sell it to you 7 days a week as long as they are open. Huge help when you need some on weekends and the regular places are 9-5, M-F, or needs some after 5pm weekdays.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:51 PM   #26
Bus Geek

cheap too, $1.70 / gal I think, last "fillup" of a 2# was like $8
Old 02-21-2019, 08:09 PM   #27
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
cheap too, $1.70 / gal I think, last "fillup" of a 2# was like $8
Tractor Supply here is more expensive than the propane local companies. TSC here right now is $2.79ga. Local supply is only $1.99ga. For me TSC is there for me only if I need them after hours or weekends.
Old 02-22-2019, 05:54 AM   #28
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Me
Chassis: 2001 IC
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 72
We noticed the flying J truck stop had a fill station for Rv's here in Indianapolis.
Ciscokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 07:51 AM   #29
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner View Post
This is what I did (pic taken before skinning the sides and installing door to access storage and tanks):

I can store 4 BBQ tanks in a pretty small space this way.
I find these by the road on trash day. Doesn't matter what the date is, I just take them to the convenience store and exchange em. For around $17 I get a new, filled propane tank. I've got 7 right now and I find one every few months.
Once I get to 20 or so I may back off.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:43 AM   #30
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Genesis
Rated Cap: 84lug
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
This is what I am using, 29.3g, not quite 30. 48" x 15". Mine will mount in the left rear corner underneath where the exhaust pipe was, plenty of room there, though my bus is big..
just bought that exact tank for my propane furnace, hot water heater, range, and refrigerator... how do you like it? It's not cheap.. lol
Old 02-22-2019, 11:18 AM   #31
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyInTN View Post
just bought that exact tank for my propane furnace, hot water heater, range, and refrigerator... how do you like it? It's not cheap.. lol
I haven't purchased it yet, I'm waiting for restocking. What did you pay for yours? They are typically in $500+ range. Found some on eBay for $479 and that seller occasionally drops them to $449. But I just found that Walmart sells them for $349.95, but are out of stock at this time.
What model propane fridge are you using?
Old 02-22-2019, 02:18 PM   #32
Bus Geek

Actually that **is** cheap, cheap as it gets unless you luck out on a once-off second-hand.

Try something American-made LOL

Just that everything looks pricey per-gallon compared to the BBQ bottles, and that's just because they're "subsidized" being the consumer mass market standard.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:09 AM   #33
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Genesis
Rated Cap: 84lug
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I haven't purchased it yet, I'm waiting for restocking. What did you pay for yours? They are typically in $500+ range. Found some on eBay for $479 and that seller occasionally drops them to $449. But I just found that Walmart sells them for $349.95, but are out of stock at this time.
What model propane fridge are you using?
$489 on an online site.. I havnt installed it yet. I have a norcold 621x I believe is. Has to be hooked up propane AC and DC to even work... such a pain.
Old 03-02-2019, 10:28 AM   #34
Almost There

I spent 30 years doing LP mobile installs in Vehicles, food carts and marine applications. Most home done installs I have seen are an accident waiting to happen. Suggest anyone do due diligence and do not skimp on installation.
Having a flex off the tank and vibration hangers are a must. Find an installer who will teach you to make proper flares and don't skimp on tooling or have them do it. Make your runs as short as possible and any tee's or connections accessible for regular inspections. An LP gas alarm is a must if you value your safety.
Remember Propane has a higher specific gravity so it will fall and collect wherever its leaking, Once you cross 15-17% by air you have boom in the making.
It pains me to see so many laissez-faire attitudes towards this subject.
Mudhutwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 10:47 AM   #35
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhutwarrior View Post
I spent 30 years doing LP mobile installs in Vehicles, food carts and marine applications. Most home done installs I have seen are an accident waiting to happen. Suggest anyone do due diligence and do not skimp on installation.
Having a flex off the tank and vibration hangers are a must. Find an installer who will teach you to make proper flares and don't skimp on tooling or have them do it. Make your runs as short as possible and any tee's or connections accessible for regular inspections. An LP gas alarm is a must if you value your safety.
Remember Propane has a higher specific gravity so it will fall and collect wherever its leaking, Once you cross 15-17% by air you have boom in the making.
It pains me to see so many laissez-faire attitudes towards this subject.
The truth has been spoken.

And remember just because you don’t smell it doesn’t mean it has gathered in an area. The smell is an additional that sometimes will go away.
All my LP is outside the bus. And it is minimal.
Seriousracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 11:46 AM   #36
Bus Geek

+1 true dis

But just driving itself is a huge risk, do your best to work the odds in the direction of safety,

but don't let fear stop you completely either

Tags
consumption, conversion, propane, skoolie, water heater