Old 10-14-2012, 11:14 AM   #11
Skoolie

Re: Our Farold's Conversion

Thanks for the comment. I used 4" long 3/8" Eye bolts and drilled holes through the roof. Used washers and nuts on the outside of the roof and then put silicone over them. Quite simple really. I originally only had two chains on each bunk but after the kids and I had a test run sleeping in the bus both the older kids that sleep on the top bunks requested another chain in the middle so they were less likely to roll off.
travelinwithus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:09 PM   #12
Skoolie

I should also mention that my 13 year old son Austin really played a huge part in this conversion. He was with me every single day I worked on the bus. He tinted all the windows except for the first three I did. He cut all the studs for the walls, did all the trim (measured and cut) cut some of the paneling and really worked his but off helping me with anything I needed. I taught him how to weld and overall this was an excellent learning experience for him and I am thoroughly impressed with his aptitude for learning. The 14 day conversion would not have been possible with out him. Thank you Austin!
Old 10-14-2012, 12:18 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth

Very nice work! The bus looks great.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:29 PM   #14
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by browncrown
Very nice work! The bus looks great.
Thank you very much I really appreciate it. I can't wait to get on the road with it.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:59 PM   #15
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 72

Nice job! I especially like how you made you tanks, I'm definitely gonna have to look a little more into this barrel design of yours. Is that cedar on the interior?
Old 10-14-2012, 02:17 PM   #16
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyedeal.ink
Nice job! I especially like how you made you tanks, I'm definitely gonna have to look a little more into this barrel design of yours. Is that cedar on the interior?
Thank you. Yeah, I really like the barrels and they fit perfect under the bus. You can't even see them without crouching down and looking up. That is actually just expensive paneling I bought from Mendards. I think they were around $33 per sheet.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:20 PM   #17
Skoolie

I am not sure why your post is not showing on the thread eyedeal.ink. The only way I could see it was by clicking on Post Reply and then it showed up. Seems that it skipped over it even though it is obviously there.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:21 PM   #18
Skoolie

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: 3208TA Cat 250HP
Rated Cap: 84

Good job on the Tanks, I like that... just wondering though, is it possible to vent the tanks somewhere under the bus so a person would not have an additional roof penetration?
thommassey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:55 PM   #19
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thommassey
Good job on the Tanks, I like that... just wondering though, is it possible to vent the tanks somewhere under the bus so a person would not have an additional roof penetration?
I would think it would be possible. I am not sure if they make vents that will vent until the water level reaches them and then shuts off so it doesn't allow waste water to escape or not. That was my concern. I do not have any monitoring levels on the tanks. I don't plan to fill them completely before emptying them but in the case where they did become full I would rather have it begin backing up in the shower (as that is the lowest point) rather than dumping on the ground. By running the vent out the roof there is no worries of any waste water leaking from the tanks.

Now that I think about it with separate black and grey holding tanks connected together by the vents, if the grey water became full, which typically happens before black, it would actually begin transferring to the black tank rather than backing up in the shower via the vent. hmm.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:58 PM   #20
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelinwithus
Thank you very much I really appreciate it. I can't wait to get on the road with it.
It's a great feeling to get close to the point of getting out on the road and enjoying all your hard work!