Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2012, 09:29 AM   #101
Bus Geek

Re: Our Farold's Conversion

bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:22 AM   #102
Bus Nut

Year: 1979
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 8 cyl gas
Rated Cap: 60

How fun is that! And I bet a lot of people visit the site because of it, if for nothing more than the curiosity. And I have to say I like how you add to the bus as you go, solar panel, antennae, logo.. inspiring.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:01 PM   #103
Bus Nut

Really nice touch....... Will get the word out...... but? how about replacing the yellow with something a little darker. It is HARD to see the T and the c......
just my 2 cents
Old 11-26-2012, 05:55 PM   #104
Skoolie

People really look now, even more than normal. It is fun watching people look up above my head to read what is up there. It is really an interesting experience driving a Skoolie. I have had people wave and people stop and ask about it. At PirateLand in Myrtle Beach the receptionist asked what type of motor home we had and I told her a Skoolie and she said "I think that is cool." I have not been put out at all at any campground we have stopped at.

We put a black border around the yellow letters today. Makes it stand out much better. It is too early to tell how many people are actually visiting the website because of the lettering on the bus. Once a couple days pass I can look and see where the visitors are originating from so for example we are in Florida now so if the traffic increases from Florida I will know they saw the lettering on the bus.

We are so enjoying this trip in our Skoolie. If you are interested check out our travelin' website I posted a screenshot I took on my phone of our current location. Best campsite yet! I am uploading a video, 360 degree view of the beach walking distance from our campsite and then will be uploading some photos. I only have internet connection on my phone here so uploads are quite slow.
travelinwithus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:39 PM   #105
Bus Geek

All I can say is "Waaaaaaaaaaa!!!...."thankyou for posting updates it is great to see folks enjoying "our" america as you are.....one...smile....at..a..time...
Old 11-26-2012, 09:20 PM   #106
Skoolie

I finally got the pics and video up more to come I'm sure.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:41 PM   #107
Skoolie

As I was pulling into our campground at Fort Pickens National Park a couple days ago I noticed I had a noise coming from my driver front wheel. Well I finally got a chance to look at it today. Threw a break pad . Luckly I am one of those types that travel with tools (I even brought my welder, just in case). Stopped at Napa in Pensacola, FL today on our way to the National Naval Aviation Museum and picked up a set of pads for $95 bucks. Guess what I will be doing tomorrow.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:14 AM   #108
Bus Nut

So. Are you going fishing today?......
Old 11-30-2012, 08:21 PM   #109
Skoolie

Well I got the front brakes all replaced today. Here is how my day went:

Drivers Side

- 2 min - take off the front tire
- 2 hours - PBlaster the hell out of the sliders, heat them up, beat the hell out of them with my hammer and punch, Pblaster them some more, heat them up, beat the hell out of them with my hammer and punch while also hitting my hand a couple times , PBlaster the hell out of the sliders, heat them up, beat the hell out of them with my hammer and punch
- 1 hour - go and pick up calipers because the phenolic pistons were cracked and wouldn't compress back in.
10 min - install pads and calipers
2 min - put wheel back on.

Passenger Side

- 2 min - take off the front tire
- 1 hours - PBlaster the hell out of the sliders, heat them up, beat the hell out of them with my hammer and punch, Pblaster them some more, heat them up, beat the hell out of them with my hammer and punch while also hitting my hand a couple times , PBlaster the hell out of the sliders, heat them up, beat the hell out of them with my hammer and punch
10 min - install pads and calipers
2 min - put wheel back on.

But I always try and look at things positively. I was outside all day in shorts and a t-shirt on November 30th in 70 degree weather on an island installing brakes on my Skoolie. Still a better day than any day at work

Here are a few pics:

Old 11-30-2012, 10:23 PM   #110
Bus Nut

Year: 89
Coachwork: thomas
Engine: 7.3 diesel

you in Pensacola, have a great time..lived there for 20 years.. Ft Pickens is really nice...hope all goes well with the bus
which way you going from there?
Old 12-01-2012, 04:54 AM   #111
Bus Geek

Rough job,I hate those type of caliper mounts,glad you got brakes done...how bad was the rotor?you going to end up having them turned when you get home?
Old 12-01-2012, 07:37 AM   #112
Bus Nut

But I always try and look at things positively. I was outside all day in shorts and a t-shirt on November 30th in 70 degree weather on an island installing brakes on my Skoolie.
Still a better day than any day at work !!!!!!!!

Love the attitude......... Positive thinking can only reinforce ones well being !!!!!!

Congrats on Gett'n er Done !!!!!
Old 12-01-2012, 08:53 AM   #113
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by putterspitt
you in Pensacola, have a great time..lived there for 20 years.. Ft Pickens is really nice...hope all goes well with the bus
which way you going from there?
We are really enjoying Ft. Pickens. We are here until Monday then we are headed North toward home .

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil
Rough job,I hate those type of caliper mounts,glad you got brakes done...how bad was the rotor?you going to end up having them turned when you get home?
The rotors don't look bad at all. Of course I have no dial indicator to see if there is and warp or run out. The next 1000+ miles or so I guess will tell me if I need to have them turned . My hope is there isn't any pulsation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyEagle

Love the attitude......... Positive thinking can only reinforce ones well being !!!!!!

Congrats on Gett'n er Done !!!!!
The only frustrating thing from yesterday was that it took longer than I had hoped because of the rusted sliders. However, once each began to move there was a great sense of "ha, I won!" Then the rest of the job was nothing. I used to work on cars and semi's so I know what I am doing, if I only had an air hammer with me I would have gotten the job done in half the time. Now I have the rest of the weekend to enjoy the beach and Fort!
Old 12-01-2012, 10:14 AM   #114
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72

Its a nice fuzzy feeling knowing you can fix things yourself, thats one of the things that makes us skoolies different from reg rv folks,
glad to here your trip is going well, how are the kids doing with the home schooling? and I see you havent had any trouble getting into rv parks, Iv been emailing different places in florida and all said come on down with the skoolie, when checking places in texas most where ok, but wanted a picture of us with the bus, just wanted to make sure that we where not crack heads. I know here in canada no one turneds us away for being a skoolie, and when we went to wisconsin dells all the camp sites greeted us with open arms, most want to see the inside of the bus.

gbstewart

thursday it was -33c today +1c globle warming
Old 12-01-2012, 11:25 AM   #115

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbstewart
Its a nice fuzzy feeling knowing you can fix things yourself, thats one of the things that makes us skoolies different from reg rv folks,
glad to here your trip is going well, how are the kids doing with the home schooling? and I see you havent had any trouble getting into rv parks, Iv been emailing different places in florida and all said come on down with the skoolie, when checking places in texas most where ok, but wanted a picture of us with the bus, just wanted to make sure that we where not crack heads. I know here in canada no one turneds us away for being a skoolie, and when we went to wisconsin dells all the camp sites greeted us with open arms, most want to see the inside of the bus.

gbstewart

If someone asked me for a picture of me and the bus before they would let me stay there, they would get a nice big F U from me. Unless of course it included extra circular activities.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:38 AM   #116
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72

If someone asked me for a picture of me and the bus before they would let me stay there, they would get a nice big F U from me. Unless of course it included extra circular activities.[/quote]

I know what u mean, I found it strange asking for pics, they ask for pictures of yourself in some of the workcamping adds Iv seen, Sounds to me that they judge a book by its cover, thats not legal here in canada.
gbstewart
Old 12-02-2012, 08:24 AM   #117
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbstewart

gbstewart

Homeschooling is going great. Of course the last month they have had a crash course in history with all the museums and such we stopped at . I think they have retained so much more information by actually experiencing the history in person rather than someone telling them or reading about it. We are really enjoying it.

I haven't had any problems getting into RV parks thus far. I haven't called ahead to a single place. I just pull up, ask for a spot and when they ask what type of camper I have I say I have a 35' Skoolie. Other than PirateLand in Myrtle Beach I haven't really gotten any comments. The lady at PirateLand said, "I think that is cool." All the neighbors at the campground have been very interested in Farold and have asked quite a few questions. The most interaction I have had was two days ago when I was fixing the front brakes. I had three or four different people stop by and chat. One offered up his tools if I didn't have something I needed. Of course I am a Skoolie owner so I did have everything but the thought was nice.

I plan on continuing to just pull up and ask for a site rather than call ahead. If I ever get rejected you bet I will let everyone know. BTW, I also do the same when calling ahead to boondock. I just ask if they allow overnight parking for my "Motor Home". I don't mention that I have a Skoolie. If ever questioned I will just point to my license plate that says Motor Home right on it .

In summary, I have had no negative comments or looks for that matter the whole trip and our Skoolie is not the best looking from the outside yet. I am pretty good at reading peoples thoughts without them saying anything and I mostly get smiles as people drive past our rig and they haven't been undermining smiles either.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:33 AM   #118
Skoolie

My favorite pic of Farold on the trip so far

Old 12-07-2012, 11:32 AM   #119
Bus Nut

Year: 1979
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 8 cyl gas
Rated Cap: 60

Nice shot!
Old 12-13-2012, 10:49 PM   #120
Skoolie

Well after 43 days, 4248.1 miles and 16 states we have completed our first trip with Farold. What a great ride it was! This is the first time in my life I am not happy to be home, lol. I see fulltiming in our future!

Here is a pic of a Google Map that I created showing about where we went: