Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-11-2012, 11:08 AM   #71
Bus Nut
 
Shadoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 367
Year: 1979
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 8 cyl gas
Rated Cap: 60
Re: Our Farold's Conversion

Chocolate!!!
__________________
Linda Kay
trans·mog·ri·fy Verb: Transform, esp. in a surprising or magical manner.
Shadoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:18 PM   #72
Bus Crazy
 
gbstewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,172
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Our Farold's Conversion

Glad to see your having fun and the kids are learning, It is good to see a skoolie being used, and not just sitting in someones yard, we put over 13000kms on our bus (2 years) and cant wait to get going again. anyway I see that you dont have a generator set up. have you considered haveing one for boondocking? I have 3000w with comand start, i can run it to charge house battery or run aircond when driving. very handy to have when boondocking. just wandering

gbstewart
__________________
my bus build viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5931
gbstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:37 PM   #73
Skoolie
 
travelinwithus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 238
Re: Our Farold's Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbstewart
Glad to see your having fun and the kids are learning, It is good to see a skoolie being used, and not just sitting in someones yard, we put over 13000kms on our bus (2 years) and cant wait to get going again. anyway I see that you dont have a generator set up. have you considered haveing one for boondocking? I have 3000w with comand start, i can run it to charge house battery or run aircond when driving. very handy to have when boondocking. just wandering

gbstewart
I have been considering getting a generator. So far we are able to go 2 - 3 days without needing it. We have been driving about 2-4 hours a day and using the alternator to recharge the batteries in addition to the solar panels. If we stayed in the same town for more than one day we would have a problem but usually the only time we stay for more than one day we are at a campground and plugged in. I agree it would be nice to have a generator but that is just one more expense (both purchasing and fueling) that we are trying to avoid right now.

We made it to Philadelphia and had a great visit to Hersey. If anyone goes to Hershey I highly recommend taking the trolly ride at Chocolate World. It was very educational about the history of Milton Hershey and the sites you see are pretty cool. He was and incredible man and his legacy is still going with the trust he set up to provide education to underprivileged children.

I filled up the bus after our visit to Hershey. 9.5 miles to the gallon. I am pretty happy with that considering I was doing 65mph thru the mountains. I am beginning to wonder if I would get better mileage on flatland if I ran 65 rather than 60. At 65 the bus drives smoother and it is right at the beginning of the power range. You can view the pics from today at http://travelinwithus.com. I should have them up within an hour.
travelinwithus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:52 AM   #74
Site Team
 
crazycal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,087
Re: Our Farold's Conversion

Gotta find that's sweet spot for mpg. I think every engine is different.


http://www.handandpowertoolshop.com/...FWrZQgodeiUAqw

I saw this generator at my local Costco for $599 plus tax. Seems like a good price. It's stupid the way they write sine wave technology. I don't know if that's pure sine or modified. I think this is like the Honda EU2000 for 2/3 of the price. Probably only handle a small AC. The link says 3.2 gallons while the picture I took of the side of the box in the store says 4.3 liter fuel tank. There is no way it will hold over 3 gallons of fuel. I think the box is right. The box also said over 6 hours run time with 4.3 liters. That's just over 1 gallon of gas. That's pretty good. It didn't say what the load was.
__________________
I'm hungry!

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:53 AM   #75
Bus Nut
 
GreyEagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 801
Re: Our Farold's Conversion

Yo CC,
It's a Yamaha 1600 Watt at 50% load, 2000 peak. If you can find the Yamaha 2400 watt..... it'll be a 2000 under 50% load 2400 peak
The 2400 can run the AC with ease....... Yamaha are good generators, just a little louder the a Honda at a much better price, for the money I'd take the Yamaha but the 2400 watt one......
just my .02 cents........

2000 Watt Inverter Generator with Yamaha Engine

Features:
Gasoline petcock lets you shut off the gas to run the carburetor dry for storage
Recoil sart
Guarded recoil line
Maximum compliance ratings for both EPA and CARB
Thermal overload protection
3.5HP, 79cc, Yamaha MZ80 Engine
USFS-approved spark arrestor
Low oil shutdown
Sine wave technology, suitable for powering sensitive electronic equipment like a laptop computer
Up to 8hrs of runtime at 50% load
Built-in inverter
Automatic Voltage Regulation
Specs:
Running Watts - 1600w
Starting Watts - 2000w
Rated Voltage - 120V
Rated Current - 16.7A

Receptacles
(2) 120V Duplex NEMA#5-20R
(1) 12V/8amp
Noise Level - 51dB
Fuel Type - Unleaded Gasoline
Fuel Capacity - 3.2 Gallons
Voltage Multi Tap
Weight 44 Pounds
Listing EPA
Generator Power Source Gas
Generator Type Portable Generators
Customer Reviews
__________________
GreyEagle
Roll - On...
GreyEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:47 AM   #76
Almost There
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Augusta Arkansas
Posts: 85
Year: 90
Coachwork: Volunteer
Engine: 366
Rated Cap: 65
Re: Our Farold's Conversion

great idea on the bunks, the complete project is very nice. Is there anyway to get a pic of the underside of the bunks so that i can see how you mounted them to the windows?
Six Four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:55 AM   #77
Site Team
 
crazycal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,087
Re: Our Farold's Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyEagle
Yo CC,
It's a Yamaha 1600 Watt at 50% load, 2000 peak. If you can find the Yamaha 2400 watt..... it'll be a 2000 under 50% load 2400 peak
The 2400 can run the AC with ease....... Yamaha are good generators, just a little louder the a Honda at a much better price, for the money I'd take the Yamaha but the 2400 watt one......
just my .02 cents........

2000 Watt Inverter Generator with Yamaha Engine

Features:
Gasoline petcock lets you shut off the gas to run the carburetor dry for storage
Recoil sart
Guarded recoil line
Maximum compliance ratings for both EPA and CARB
Thermal overload protection
3.5HP, 79cc, Yamaha MZ80 Engine
USFS-approved spark arrestor
Low oil shutdown
Sine wave technology, suitable for powering sensitive electronic equipment like a laptop computer
Up to 8hrs of runtime at 50% load
Built-in inverter
Automatic Voltage Regulation
Specs:
Running Watts - 1600w
Starting Watts - 2000w
Rated Voltage - 120V
Rated Current - 16.7A

Receptacles
(2) 120V Duplex NEMA#5-20R
(1) 12V/8amp
Noise Level - 51dB
Fuel Type - Unleaded Gasoline
Fuel Capacity - 3.2 Gallons
Voltage Multi Tap
Weight 44 Pounds
Listing EPA
Generator Power Source Gas
Generator Type Portable Generators
Customer Reviews
Thank GE but I'm not getting a generator right now. I had an Onan that was stolen plus I have one in the Bluebird that I would try to use first. I posted about the Yamaha because it was the first time I have seen one at at Costco. Retail is about the same price as a Honda. I was surprised to see a price of $599. They only had 3, so it may be a one shot deal.???
__________________
I'm hungry!

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:22 PM   #78
Skoolie
 
travelinwithus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 238
Re: Our Farold's Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six Four
great idea on the bunks, the complete project is very nice. Is there anyway to get a pic of the underside of the bunks so that i can see how you mounted them to the windows?
Thank you. I appreciate the comments. I will post pics tomorrow when the lighting is better.

We toured Philly today and had some great Philly Steak sandwiches at Geno's Steaks and Pat's King of Steaks located right across from each other. There is a pretty interesting story behind the two locations. We saw the Liberty Bell and watched a Veteran's Day speech given by the Mayor of Philadelphia. You can see pics on our website (link below). Thank you to all you veterans for your service to our country.

We arrived in Washington D.C., or just outside, about an hour ago. The drive on I-95 was the most stressful of the trip thus far. Bumper to bumper, tight lanes and CRAZY A#$ drivers all the way for 2.5 hours. I nearly rear ended a Lincoln but swerved to avoid it at the last minute. Traffic came to a sudden stop in front of us and that is what nearly caused the collision. Other than that the drive was decent, lol.

We are staying at Duncan's Family Campground for a couple days just to relax. We have been on the road/run for 12 days now and we are all ready for some R&R. We will be in the D.C. area for 3-4 days and then moving south.

Farold is absolutely a "Powerful Traveler".
travelinwithus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:56 PM   #79
Skoolie
 
travelinwithus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 238
Re: Our Farold's Conversion

Holy Cow! What a day! We visited
Washington DC and actually saw Obama
land in his helicopter! The chopper along
with 2 others flew right over us. I got it all
on video and will upload it as soon as I get
to a decent internet connection.

I haven't had a chance to snap those photos underneath the bunks yet. I'll try to get them tomorrow.
travelinwithus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:04 AM   #80
Bus Nut
 
GreyEagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 801
Re: Our Farold's Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelinwithus
Holy Cow! What a day! We visited
Washington DC and actually saw Obama
land in his helicopter! The chopper along
with 2 others flew right over us. I got it all
on video and will upload it as soon as I get
to a decent internet connection.

I haven't had a chance to snap those photos underneath the bunks yet. I'll try to get them tomorrow.
Did you shoot it down????
__________________
GreyEagle
Roll - On...
GreyEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Farold's Adventure Number 2 travelinwithus On the Road | Travel, Trips, Camp Sites, Tailgates 11 06-25-2013 11:10 PM
Travelin' With Farold travelinwithus Everything Else | General Skoolie Discussions 7 01-20-2013 03:46 PM
A Perfect Christmas Afternoon With Farold travelinwithus On the Road | Travel, Trips, Camp Sites, Tailgates 3 01-04-2013 10:42 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.