Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2010, 10:12 PM   #1

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Our First COnversion attempt (from 0-100% in 18 days)

OK, here is the deal, we bought our Blue Bird in February, brought her home from TN to MO she drove like a champ, originally we were moving to Alaska in May, and were planning on converting her there.

Plans changed ;)

We took the seats out in a day and there she sat. waiting for the funds to finish.

We somehow received funding from a benefactor, and made the goal to finish her in 2 weeks (as my DH took time off work to do the work) we had 1 other handy friend who also devoted his two weeks to working on the bus non stop, daily (except Sunday) from May 16th until tonight!

It has been a whirlwind of work & effort here, we have never converted a bus, the most we had done was some remodel work on a travel trailer back in 1999.

So here are some pics of the work in process.
Unfortunately My dh has to go back to work tomorrow (IN Alaska) and we are not finished, we had planned to drive her to a family wedding on June 14th, now we don't know if she is road worthy. If anyone with experience wants to donate a day to finish the plumbing and attaching the tanks we will take whatever we can get!!!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0006.JPG  

MoMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 10:15 PM   #2

Re: Our First COnversion attempt (from 0-100% in 18 days)

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0001.JPG  
Old 06-02-2010, 10:21 PM   #3

New Sub Floors, Rust-O-leum painting & helpful friends
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0009.JPG   IMG_0021.JPG   IMG_25.JPG  
Old 06-02-2010, 10:30 PM   #4

We were blessed with a Free Junker RV, it had rotten Interior but good mechanical parts & even a AC that works!

As the humidity picked up and the work got hotter we were happy to have that AC installed. made it bearable to work in the tin can.

Now we have the carpentry nearly finished, the electrical nearly finished, and the pluming not even started.

(is there a way to post more than one Pic at a time? annoying!)
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0039.JPG  
Old 06-03-2010, 08:53 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas

Dang! 18 days that beats my 'have to be done in 30 days' deal.
Seeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 01:17 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

looking great!!

i second the photobucket to. when you load pictures into photobucket pick the [IMG blah blah blah] tag links and just paste them here and it will make your pictures show up.
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:26 PM   #7

Every board has its own etiquette, and I actually have been a lurker for 3 years. no reason to post or register since I had not bought the bus. But thanks for the input.

We got TONS done, and I am taking dh to the airport now, I will post to photobucket when I get home !

Thanks for the Warm welcome!!
Old 06-03-2010, 07:30 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: 6.6L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 26

I'm anxious to see what you completed! I was working the past two days on my bus, now re-named Big Max, my B.O.V. Floors are now almost completely rust-proofed....
Old 06-03-2010, 08:51 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: 6.6L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMomma
If anyone with experience wants to donate a day to finish the plumbing and attaching the tanks we will take whatever we can get!!!
My classes start Monday. After 20AUG10 if I'm not headed into the hill country I'm willing (if you can fly me, feed me, & domicle me....... )
Old 06-29-2010, 12:36 AM   #10

Progress

Our eyes were bigger than our budget... we made allot of progress and have a well built bus. However our funds fell far short of the mark, we spent 7,ooo and so far this is where we are at: the cabinets, framing, cushions, sink, plumbing and toilet are mostly done ;) (toilet needs a new ball valve )

The last items we are working on are: Additional wiring (we have 2 outlets wired, but plan on installing about 4 more)
Hang doors for "master bedroom' and bathroom

Trim floor on steps

fine tune the 12 v power (the relay switch was burning hot to the touch, so we need to research and find one made for continuous use)

A/V wiring, we want to install flat screen combo dvd players above the bottom bunks , one in the master bedroom, and one above the drivers bay.
(in addition we want to have wireless headphones for the kids to lsiten while we drive)

Install a catalytic heater

PAINT the exterior, dh wants to use CoolKote wewould gladly take recomendations on this! I tested out painting by hand, its not going to fly for the whole bus, we will find a sprayer and get Valspar epoxy paint that we can tint. I would love to find an artist to paint an awesome desing on La Esperanza. (our bus)

I will try to post pics tomorrow, as They are an the other computer.