Old 01-17-2012, 04:56 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Re: Our new 1986 International House!!!!

Down side to a permanent mount tank is that you have to either have the truck come to your site and fill you up (that's about 9 gallons on a typical 40# RV tank). With the 20# BBQ tanks is that you can get them filled at many places. When they start getting old, or all the LP filling stations are closed so everyone can take the holiday weekend off, you can SWAP them out (higher price... watch out for Blue Rhino as they don't really fill the tank swap tanks to full). 30# tanks can't be swapped. The Class C that my daughter now lives in, has a 40# permanent tank. We bought the Class C in 2006 and have filled the tank up ONCE. We built a homebrewed "extend-a-stay" and run 20# tanks. When we lived in TN/NC we simply hooked up our 100# LP tank we had at the time. States are getting tougher on the tank transporting rules... many state will no longer allow you to transport the long tanks on their sides. We have no way to transport a 100# tank upright. When we wintered in TX (2009-2010) the LP truck came thru the campgrounds. That was the first I had ever seen that happen. Last winter (2010-2011) I started seeing posts stating that the cities/towns /counties were passing regulation preventing that. Only once have I seen it cheaper to swap than refill. that was in GA where it cost $25+ to refill and $16 (including tax) to swap at an unmanned 24hr Amerigas tank swap outside of Home Depot (you need a credit, debit or a pay-as-you-go Visa/Master card to access).

As a fulltimer who stays in one spot for months at a time (private park monthly site rent is usually much cheaper than public park nightly site rent), moving to get LP is a PITA. Finding an LP filling station (with the best prices in town) that you can get a 40 ft RV into the station is a PITA. Running 20# LP tanks are better for us. We currently have 3 (we left two with my daughter). One tank for the food cart, one tank for the bus and one tank to replace whichever tank emptied. LP tanks always run out at two times... in the middle of the night OR when it is raining, snowing or sleeting... depending on the season. And if possible, you will run out of LP when it is dark, raining, snowing AND sleeting. Last tank we filled (Dec) ran us about $15 including tax. Tank swap at the time was running between $26 (WalMart) up to $29 (no taxes included). We keep an eye on the manufacture date (stamped on the tank collar) when they start getting old (10 yr from date of manufacture) or the tank starts getting "rough" looking, we will do a tank swap and pick out a better, newer tank. We have measures. We can put our LP tanks under the bus IF the tank is positioned to where the collar is between the smaller floor ribs. David has an idea to set the tanks on a pivoting shelf so that the tank will tip enough to where we can get it out thru a door cut into the side skirt. I want to use a auto changeover valve on the two bus tanks and pick up one extra tank to use as the floating refill. Right now, we transport tanks in the food cart and once set up, use the LP quick connect to hook a tank up to the bus.
http://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:21 PM   #12
Almost There

Year: 1977
Chassis: International Harvester

We were living in a travel trailer back on 06. Instead of having to refill the tanks all the time, we rented a large portable tank from a propane dealer. It was as tall as a 100# tank but was bigger in diameter. I can't remember exactly how big it was. Each refill lasted over a month and the truck came to us. The price was comparable to always refilling the 2 30# tanks. The propane dealer just required that we show them our reciept for the monthly stay at the RV park. It's not like we could have picked up the tank anyway. Even empty it took a special lift on the truck to move it.

All we needed was a longer propane line to run from the tank to our extend-a-stay setup. The RV park also wanted us to run the line through a piece of PVC drain pipe anchored to the ground so that no one would damage it if the walked on it. Used that setup for the 4 months we were at the park. Most of the people staying at the park long term used the setup.
RavensOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:21 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavensOracle
... we rented a large portable tank from a propane dealer. It was as tall as a 100# tank but was bigger in diameter. I can't remember exactly how big it was....
Sounds like 250#. Not all RV parks will allow that. The one we are in now and the one in Soccoro allowed it. But the one in TX (which was also a mobile home park) did not for the RV's.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:40 AM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 90
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Transitliner
Engine: 8.3 Cummins

J,
a permanent under mount LP tank is great as long as you can get it filled. If you are out in the toolies for an extended time, which you probably will be, the ability to take a tank to town and get it refilled is very handy. You could easily have both, especially if yo have access to a underbody tank already at a deal of maybe even free. A couple ball valves and switching would be a breeze. Something I learned from my Wanderlodge was duplicate/backup systems are a good thing...
It does not really matter if the portable tank is inside or outside, you will have lines and fittings inside the bus and they can leak too, so no leaks is the challenge. If the regulator is outside, vaporing off would be addressed. I would consider an airtight cabinet with an outside vent if you choose to have the tank and regulator inside.
Something like this or similar:
http://www.amazon.com/White-Enamel-A.../dp/B0054HT53W
Similar to how lots of slide-in campers are setup. You can have the door on the outside or the inside, with just the supply line coning into the living space.
Regardless, the one thing you can't get away from is they take up valuable inside space and really cannot serve dual purposes. You have lots of unused space underneath, take advantage of it!
Doug at 8000'
Old 01-19-2012, 04:26 PM   #15
Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Ford
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: 7.8 New Holland
Rated Cap: 72

LOVE IT!!!!!!!! i LOVE the enthusiam!!!! I can just tell it is going to be Great!!!!!!!!
keep on this webpage and you will find all the help you could need
MikeyBskunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 04:32 PM   #16
Bus Geek

LP vapour is heavy and will "puddle" on the floor. You need venting in the FLOOR or put the bottom louver flush with the interior flooring.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:18 AM   #17
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15

Roger the "puddling" issue. LP is much denser/heavier than air and will settle into whatever space is lowest and concentrate. One more argument for putting it under the unit where it is more likely to be dispersed rather than collect.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 04:39 PM   #18
Bus Crazy

I have an automatic switch over regulator for my 30 gallon tank and three of the portable 4 gallon ones. That way, i can either use the small ones when i want to park for a long time, or use the large one as necessary, partly for backup. I do the same for my gasoline tank with having 5 gallon gas cans to refill it when dry camping. And an extra 59 gallon diesel tank in the compartments as well, as well as 25 exta gallons of water in case i run out of my 135 gallon tank.
Found out over the last 30 yrs or so, and 4 previous busses, that having extra supply makes for no suprises...