Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2013, 07:54 AM   #21
Bus Geek

Re: Our New Home

SURPRISE

bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:59 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Ford B-700
Engine: Cummins 5.9l Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 28

Sick of grinding.... Wisconsin bus... cancerous as heck, many grinding wheels, all floor primed 4 sheets left 2 lay, then clean it up and take a pic or 2, then comes laying out the floorplan with some tape, n then the walls.... yay!!!
Old 05-14-2013, 11:41 AM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&ACaple

A word of caution that should be a sticky some where for all to see.

Good to see the pic of you all played out after a good hard day of work. I can't help but notice that you were wearing safety goggles by the dirt signature on your face. What I also see by the dirt is, that you were not wearing a breathing mask to filter out all that mold, rust, abrasive wheel particles, chunks of galvanized metal, ect.

Renovating the steel work inside a bus is one of the most toxic steel working I've ever done. Lack of ventilation combined with the galvanized steel makes a mix that will take it's toll on your body in a short time.

I just want to pass on a message about proper Personal Protective Equipment. Lets all do our renovations safely so we can enjoy them with a least the level of health we started them with.

Take care Nat

Posted for educational purposes only.

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:08 AM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accordion
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyedeal.ink
Why didn't you just by an RV? ha!
As you are a bus owner, I find it almost blasphemous that you would suggest to buy an RV.

If I had had a Sticks and staples RV when I went into a ditch the other day, it would have been ruined.

Check out page 30 on my thread.
I know I know...when im asked "why a bus?" i just tell em well... theres 2 words, a f and a U .... gotta behave on here... I love our bus, and my signature was just askin ya'll are you sick of that question.... since we bought it, we're asked it constantly... and yes I know, I tore up a 73 Winnie... not meant for that... camping out in the sticks, never made it out... the bus is the best man... wouldn't trade it in for the world.... so please don't take my signature wrong... i'll change it... cuz I LOVE OUR BUS....
Old 05-29-2013, 09:17 AM   #25
Bus Geek

your sig is fine now....And I plan on getting a Tshirt with a school bus on it and have it say something like "yes,I actually bought a bus"
Old 05-29-2013, 01:02 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

After we got the bus out here to NM, I was laying up under it admiring the bottom side. David asked what I was doing. I told him "You gotta see this. You won't believe it." So he crawls up under the bus and laid there staring at the bottom side. Our kids think were a little off. One kid more so than the other.

The 1986 BlueBird had virtually no rust ANYWHERE. If you want rust... look at our old 1974 Eagle coach. And it was in good shape "for an Eagle".

To be honest, the Bluebird is easier to work on, in better shape and we have completed more of the conversion in less time than it took to strip the Eagle down to the point to where we could start (we finally gave up as we were due to leave the state). David says the BlueBird rides just as well as the Eagle. And the engine doesn't "slobber" like the DD 8V71N65 did.

I do miss the basement. But the BlueBird gives us more ground clearance than the coach did. Coach was made for flat paved interstate highways. The BlueBird was made for in town, tight turns, paved and graveled/dirt rural roads. I just need to have less stuff.

So for us "Why a Schoolbus?" Other than the fact we are "recycling" our moving van, we don't stay in "RV Resorts". We prefer a more rustic campground (with full hookups) off the beaten path for "camping".
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:01 PM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

floor done, solid, painted, insulated, sheeted and solid...... that's been done for quite a while. We just can't figure out exactly how we want it laid out. have found our holding tank.... a 30 gallon barrel from work... it'll get us to the park anyway..... maybe score another for grey water and keep 'em separate like a good boy should.... and most importantly a generator.... a champion 3500W 4000W peak..... with the 30 amp rv plug and 12V dc battery charger..... for only 200 bucks.... air conditioner is pretty much all u need 2 run... maybe the fridge... when underway, we would like to limit the use of LP to cooking and hot water. next step is walls and wiring....
Old 07-16-2013, 05:47 PM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

So onto the walls.... leaving the inner tin.... seems to hold the bus together so I wont f*** it up... I will trim the 2x2 to fit over the ridge under the window... leaving the bottom section under the C channel at the floor for the utility runner. wiring in the boxes then insulate and panel the walls...
Old 07-16-2013, 07:30 PM   #29
Bus Geek

You know the drill...picks or it didn't happen
Old 08-12-2013, 08:49 PM   #30
Mini-Skoolie

sheet the fricken drivers side wall DONE..... now move my cluster f word to the other side of the bus and get that wall wired and sheeted...I need to take some pics... figure out the ac unit in the bedroom and living room... lay some carpet in the bedroom. Frankenstein up some cabinets on the hump..... its getting there, having to gut it out really set us back on the project.... but it needed it... lesson learned, were young we'll set on a newer unit with no rust... Thomas dognose maybe, I like the big back window.... no aft emergency door.. storage box.... underbody storage.... mmmm a.d.d one ata time.... hooking up the 50 amp service box, need an idea on how to do that, well pics comin soon if I can remember how
Old 08-12-2013, 11:56 PM   #31
Bus Nut

Year: 87
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International s1700
Engine: 6.9 internatiional
Rated Cap: 65

your making progress. i have found i spend a lot of my time just looking at my bus, and trying to figure out how to make things work. keep posting pics
proconsul100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:28 AM   #32
Bus Geek

no doubt pics are needed
Old 08-13-2013, 10:58 PM   #33
Mini-Skoolie

my poor attempt of welding, note to self, block wind.. gas don't work well in the wind...o and galvanized metal don't weld too good

the back windows blockedout, now what to cover it, wood don't work so well, mabe illhave someone weld it, or fiberglass...

liking the windows like that, putting some sort of window sill... some trim.... yeehaw

the head... well where it will be

ok, well it fits lol
Old 08-13-2013, 11:08 PM   #34
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by proconsul100
your making progress. i have found i spend a lot of my time just looking at my bus, and trying to figure out how to make things work. keep posting pics

I kinda wish I could get paid for all the time I stared a them walls, and my 30 gallon grease drum to be re incarnated as a poo tank. and where to stuff it, small storage tank, but that's ok with me, theres enuf sh** on the bus a it is... the next one for full time living will be a 77 pass with airbrakes.. air is so nice, for pressuring up the water tank... and more storage... this one is the weekend warrior, also known as the learning experience.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:16 PM   #35
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

Is that 1/2" sanded plywood you are using for your walls? I like that idea. It would look good with stain and poly/varnish, and also it is structural enough that you could hang things on it without worrying about finding a stud or whatever. Maybe next time I convert a bus I'll remember this...
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:23 PM   #36
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Dan
Is that 1/2" sanded plywood you are using for your walls? I like that idea. It would look good with stain and poly/varnish, and also it is structural enough that you could hang things on it without worrying about finding a stud or whatever. Maybe next time I convert a bus I'll remember this...
accually its 3/8s but I think 1/2 woulda been better, and yes it is sanded, were thinking of white-washing it, I like the staining poly idea....
Old 08-14-2013, 02:58 AM   #37
Bus Crazy

Year: 1973
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: CAT 1160 V-8 Diesel

That's good looking plywood. There are some stains that have the polyurethane already in them.

I used some of that stuff. I put on one coat, then I let it dry for an hour or two. Then I put on another coat which really brought out the grain's beauty. I suppose that a third coat would make it look even better.

I used those foam rubber brushes to apply the stain. They are inexpensive. They will still be good to use between coats, however, the next day, they will be stiff and useless.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:04 AM   #38
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

If you stain plywood or any pine, use wood conditioner first. It will even out the stain and you won't have a blotchy finish. Prep is everything when it comes to paint and stain.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:41 AM   #39
Bus Geek

please be careful welding galvanized metal,it can KILL you
Old 08-14-2013, 08:05 AM   #40
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466

X2!

Also, I don't know what kind of welder you have, but if it is a wirefeed, try using fluxcore wire. You don't need gas and it works MUCH better in wind.

Brutus
JakeC is offline   Reply With Quote