Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2011, 04:38 PM   #21
Almost There

Year: 1977
Chassis: International Harvester
Re: Our New Skoolie (Yet to be named.)

Quick update

The bus is still at the mechanics. No huge problem but I got a huge discount in labor since I could let the bus sit there until the mechanic had time to work on it. Even got a great deal on new tires to put on it. The only thing I have been fighting is the state DMV. The title the previous owner had had the wrong VIN number on it by two numbers. It looks like the clerk couldn't type and put down the wrong VIN. The state has the correct paperwork but I had to talk to the previous owner to get another title with the correct VIN to sign it over. Luckily for me the previous owner was very understanding and was willing to help me out if I covered the cost.

Once I get the title straightened out then it is back on the road for me. Now that I have had the bus checked out mechanically it'll be moving on to getting the conversion issues dealt with. I know I am going to have to replace the power center on the bus. Most of the time will be spent at State and Federal Parks so I am thinking I just need the 30 amp setup. I need to do some more research on how I want to wire it up. I want to use something better than the small unit they had in it. It was only a 15amp setup and they were trying to run 2 ACs off of it. I think that may be part of the reason the converter wasn't working for all the 12V circuits. The other part being that a previous owner decided to hook up some sort of overpowered car stereo system to whatever 12V circuits they could find. I've got the wiring mess cleaned up now. I just have to get the new power center for it.

I am thinking of putting in a regular 110V breaker box for when I am hooked up to shore power then have a circuit feed to a 12v converter. I just need to find a converter that will automatically switch between the shore power and batteries depending on if I am plugged in or not. I am thinking the circuit should be easier to hookup since my genny is plugged on through my shore power connection. At this point I don't think I am going to have an onboard genny since most of the time I won't be using it. If I am going to travel, I'll have the trailer behind me that can carry y current genny if I need it.

RavensOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:54 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

--
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:11 PM   #23
Almost There

Finally got the new title in and now have the bus tagged. I am glad that headache is over. It took from Mid Oct to now for the state of Kansas to the previous owner a corrected title so they could sign it over to me. I am glad I had this off season time to get it dealt with. It would have sucked to not be able to drive the bus when I wanted to head out to the lake.

I am having to put the 4 barrel carb back on it. The two barrel had a fuel leak. When it was at the mechanics they replace the gasket where it looked like it was leaking from. I started it up this last weekend to get the coolant flowing through the heater cores after adding some antifreeze and it started leaking fuel again.

You can see the leak around the rocker arm piece in the middle of the picture. I already had the 4 barrel Holley carb so I figured I'd get it rebuilt and put it back on rather than fight anymore with this one. I may loose a little with gas mileage but I'm hoping to gain a bit more power. It'll come in handy when I put the trailer on the back for hauling the campground toys.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:57 PM   #24
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bookmobile body by Farber
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: Navistar DT466/Alison MT643
Rated Cap: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavensOracle
You can see the leak around the rocker arm piece in the middle of the picture. I already had the 4 barrel Holley carb so I figured I'd get it rebuilt and put it back on rather than fight anymore with this one. I may loose a little with gas mileage but I'm hoping to gain a bit more power. It'll come in handy when I put the trailer on the back for hauling the campground toys.
Have you thought of replacing the carburetor with a throttle body fuel injection system? Last I checked (many years ago) they were about $600. Pricey, but probably a whole lot easier to deal with than an old carb. Definitely easier to adjust the settings for different modes of driving.
PDBreske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:18 AM   #25
Almost There

Yeah I've thought about it. If we keep this bus around more than a couple of years it will be done. I would have seriously considered it now if I didn't already have the Holley laying right there. Rebuilding it was cheaper than replacing the cheap 2 barrel that was on it. Right now, part of the reason I want to get the bus up as quick as possible is that our only daily driver was in a hit & run last march. It totaled out the truck from body damage but it was still running well enough I just kept driving it. I was hoping to wait for my insurance to pay for a new one but that is taking a while. I had to get a lawyer.

The truck is now showing signs that it is on it's last leg with the engine. I am starting to burn through oil and it is running warmer. So instead of putting a lot of money into the bus I just want it running as a backup to go get parts (a 30 min drive) or to pull the broken down truck home. The rest of my money is going to buying a new daily driver. I'll have enough in savings next month to start looking for a replacement. I am thinking maybe an 03-06 Expedition or Tahoe. I am actually looking in another tab at craigslist right now. Saw several possibilities so far. I just hope the truck lasts until then. I don't feel like driving the trail back to my house in the bus during bad weather. It can be done but I won't like doing it.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:03 AM   #26
Almost There

Picked up a 2011 Ford F-150 as my new truck. Couldn't turn down the deal. It was the demo model for a Fleet dealership so I got a big rebate since it had already been "driven off the lot." But that's slowed down my mods to the bus for this month.

Once it warms back up I am looking to paint it. I am thinking an Elastomeric coating for the roof. For the body, a thought occurred to me after i saw a truck that had been done the same way. I am thinking of using this.

http://www.herculiner.com/index.html
Old 02-03-2012, 01:16 PM   #27
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth

Sounds like a good deal on the truck...now you won't have to worry about having something to haul all the bus conversion supplies Congrats
Old 02-04-2012, 09:00 PM   #28
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bookmobile body by Farber
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: Navistar DT466/Alison MT643
Rated Cap: 1

A quick thought on the bedliner as an exterior surface finish: That stuff, while very durable, is also nearly impossibly to clean. If you want to keep the outside of your bus looking nice, use regular paint. Even flat-texture paint is easier to clean than bedliner. The pebbly surface and hard rubber-like texture will eat up a sponge or rag when you try to wash it. If it gets dirt or mud on it, you'll likely see those marks forever.

Having said that, I like the idea. I'm going to use Herculiner for the interior floor of my conversion (with carpet tiles on top of that) just because it is so durable and waterproof. Lots of Jeep owners also use bedliner on the sides of their Jeeps to keep rock chips and branch scratches to a minimum.
PDBreske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:39 AM   #29
Almost There

Power-washers do a pretty good job of keeping the bed-liners clean. Anyways, I live down some rough back country roads. I'll wash the truck and it'll look just like it hasn't been washed by the time I make it home. The idea came from seeing some of the older farm trucks around here that have been painted with it. They hold up better to the rougher back roads than some of the paint jobs I've seen. I'm still not 100% on the idea yet but I may be putting it on some areas to cover up the rocks
Old 03-14-2012, 08:26 PM   #30
Almost There

Quick update on the bus. The 4 barrel carb was completely shot. Got it on the bus and it was running like crap. The mechanic figured it might have had problems when he rebuilt it but since the kit wasn't that much, we tried it anyway. The guy has been working on carbs for years and that one just doesn't want to dial in. So now he's going to rebuild the 2 barrel carb that was on it and keep an eye out for a cheap 4 barrel from any of the old trucks he sometimes junks for farmers in the area.

It should be ready by the end of the week. I really wasn't pushing him to get it done because I wasn't using it but now he is going to make it a priority so I can use it next week. Hopefully the weather isn't going to be too bad since the girls have spring break. It was so nice this week. I'll make sure to get some pics if we make it out. According to the weatherman, it doesn't seem likely.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:53 PM   #31
Almost There

Finally got fed up fighting the carb so I bought a new Holley and got it installed. Now the bus sounds great and drives better. I can now keep the bus cruisin' along at a respectable 60mph without having it to the floor. We spent last weekend out at the lake but I forgot to get any pics while we were there. Here are some pics of some of the recent work on the bus.

The new Carb

Replaced the house batteries.

We added the magentic screen from "As seen on TV." It doesn't seal up perfect but it helps to keep out most of the bugs and it kept a cardinal from flying into the bus last weekend. We used velcro to hold it into place so it can be removed easily.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:30 PM   #32
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

Looking good. That carb is so new and shiny sitting on the old iron. I guess time will take care of that.

I want a door screen like the one you have. "As Seen on TV" only has garage door ones, at least at the moment.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:05 AM   #33
Almost There

Here's the link to the screen. Although we just bought ours at Wally-world. It doesn't like the arm for the door. I am going to put magnets on that side so it can come off and reattach itself if it gets hung on the arm.

https://www.magicmeshscreens.com/?ta...a_bid=3f4b15e5
Old 04-08-2012, 11:28 AM   #34
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

Thanks for the link.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote