Old 02-03-2018, 10:34 AM   #101
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Kingpins-

Meritor- the people who make most of these axles- has the no-ream kingpin kit- anyone try it? ~$450

FastSet No-Ream King Pin Kit

Attachment 18849
I wish those were available back in the day.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 10:38 AM   #102
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
I wish those were available back in the day.
It sure is a job you don't forget.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 10:55 AM   #103
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
It sure is a job you don't forget.

Yep. I described my ordeal briefly earlier in the thread.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 12:01 PM   #104
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Photos of the ac compressors on the short bus.

One belt goes over just the lower compressor and the other belt goes over both compressors.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 02-03-2018, 12:23 PM   #105
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
great pics thanks!! yeah you have a double compressor kit.. there are brackets that connect the ears of the top and bottom compressor together and you have a double groove adder pulley on your crank.. mine is single.. there are lot more parts to your bracket kit than mine.. unfortunately bracektry systems are the only ones that still make one for the 444E.. and its $1000.. I havent found any 444E's with dual A/C in the junkyards to be able to snag the brackets..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 02:59 PM   #106
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Engine: DT408
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
As long as coffee and earl grey counts as adult beverages then we're good!
Ah, another drinker of the Earl of Grey!! It's great iced as well!!
I am an sojourner in the earth; hide not Your Commandments from me. Psalm 119:19

Here is the patience of the saints; here are the ones keeping the commandments of YAHWEH, and the faith of Yahshua. Rev. 14:12
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:42 PM   #107
Bus Crazy

Took a break from demolition to go ahead and put paint down on top of the primer on the floor. Should be dry enough by morning to get back inside.

Meanwhile my air system is really doing a good job for me. I spent a bundle on air tools, and I've used most of them already. I added an 11 gallon tank and some regulators and valves as well.

One tool I got was an air riveter. It seems that rivets might actually be good for filling the bolt holes in the floor. A little silicone caulk, pop a rivet in, just a small bump left.

Which brings me to my next decision point, what to put on top of the metal floor. Based on my current knowledge, I'll be doing some 1/2 inch rigid foam board, 1/3 plywood on top of that, and then we're looking at bamboo flooring, 1/2 inch thick, click together.

My concern is that my floor isn't perfectly flat, and that the flooring may not set well. I've seen other buses where good money was spent on flooring materials and it is lifting up. Also, the rivet method of closing the seat holes means there's a little rivet head bump, although the foam board may just negate it by denting a bit.

Anyone have comments on my floor layers or the click together flooring? This is for sure not an area of expertise for me!
Old 02-06-2018, 09:16 PM   #108
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Took a break from demolition to go ahead and put paint down on top of the primer on the floor. Should be dry enough by morning to get back inside.

Meanwhile my air system is really doing a good job for me. I spent a bundle on air tools, and I've used most of them already. I added an 11 gallon tank and some regulators and valves as well.

One tool I got was an air riveter. It seems that rivets might actually be good for filling the bolt holes in the floor. A little silicone caulk, pop a rivet in, just a small bump left.

Which brings me to my next decision point, what to put on top of the metal floor. Based on my current knowledge, I'll be doing some 1/2 inch rigid foam board, 1/3 plywood on top of that, and then we're looking at bamboo flooring, 1/2 inch thick, click together.

My concern is that my floor isn't perfectly flat, and that the flooring may not set well. I've seen other buses where good money was spent on flooring materials and it is lifting up. Also, the rivet method of closing the seat holes means there's a little rivet head bump, although the foam board may just negate it by denting a bit.

Anyone have comments on my floor layers or the click together flooring? This is for sure not an area of expertise for me!
Without hurting any feelings, I'd not do what most of the folks do whose buses I've been in. They go with cheap stuff. Laminate, osb, low grade ply, etc.
A layer of foam board with some GOOD ply on top followed by vinyl is what I'll be using. Superdave had that and it was NICE. Flat, SOLID, and just really a great finished floor.

The minor abnormalities will be absorbed by the foam board. Don't sweat those lil rivets, man!
Old 02-06-2018, 09:41 PM   #109
Bus Crazy

I'm for sure spending rather than regretting. I've been taking with a friend about the bamboo flooring and he thinks it will be good as long as I give it a little space to float.

The plywood I was planning to use is 4 ply pine, 1/2 inch thick, I saw some others that were more expensive but as of yet don't see what you get for the money. Maybe someone will correct me.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 02-06-2018, 11:36 PM   #110
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:

the plywood i was planning to use is 4 ply pine, 1/2 inch thick, i saw some others that were more expensive but as of yet don't see what you get for the money. Maybe someone will correct me.

Lowes #12247

Screen Shot 2018-02-06 at 11.30.42 PM.png

Looks like a Negative on the floor. Dunno why, might not be structural; we aren't spanning here.

Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote