Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by peakbus View Post
Ceiling looks good! Question: In you video, I think you mentioned you wouldn't do spray foam again. What was you reason for this?
A few reasons. Comparing it against XPS foam, the cost was substantially higher, it is messy, hard to work with, and honestly the professionals I paid to install it didn't do a great job. And there is no taking it back down to fix it.

It is a great insulator but overall compared to XPS the difference isn't enough to make up for the negatives. I whole heatedly recommend XPS foam board instead.
Old 02-24-2019, 05:16 AM   #302
Bus Crazy

Our new bus logo! - Hillary
Old 02-24-2019, 07:47 AM   #303
Almost There

2 inch dow board, average 37-40$ a 4x8 sheet with an R value of 10. A 1300 sq. ft. foam kit, almost 1600$ off Amazon, R value being 6-7 per inch. The dow board, in equal sq. footage totals out to about 1275$ taking in the fact that if you buy 30 or more sheets at HD the price drops to about 30$ a sheet. Take into consideration that you do some shopping around, you're looking at 4-500$ difference. Now taking into consideration prep work of having to mask off what you don't want foam on, finish work, clean up, and the fact that once that spray foam is in there it's in there for good. To me, it's a no brainer doing the rigid foam board. Cleaner to work with. More forgiving and removable. And in my opinion, a lot less waste. So, R10 or R12??? Another thing to think about is, are you framing your walls/ ceiling out? Let's say you frame your walls and ceiling out 1 inch. You just gained the possibility of adding another R5 if you're so inclined to. An R10-15 in your bus walls is probably better than the average 50-60 year old home.
jimburke77502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 03:37 PM   #304
Bus Nut

Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
And there is no taking it back down to fix it.
That was ultimately the deciding factor for me to use board....having an issue, or a need, and not being able to get to it without ripping the foam apart.

Thanks for sharing your real-world experience. In your opinion, is the spray foam's ability to deaden sound greatly superior to tightly-installed board, or just better?

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 05:47 PM   #305
Bus Nut

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
I have used both spray foam and rigid board. No sound difference that I can tell. Rigid foam is much nicer to work with. Plus my wife has the patience of a saint so cutting and fitting all the pieces to perfection works for her. I do a bit then let her finish.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 07:06 PM   #306
Bus Nut

Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
Plus my wife has the patience of a saint so cutting and fitting all the pieces to perfection works for her. I do a bit then let her finish.
Patience is definitely a virtue.....cutting and fitting the foam board was easily the most detested chore during my conversion.

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 07:57 PM   #307
Bus Nut

Chassis: still looking for my bus
Quote:
Originally Posted by plfking View Post
Patience is definitely a virtue.....cutting and fitting the foam board was easily the most detested chore during my conversion.
has anyone used an electric carving knife to cut that foam board - used them to cut letters for a sign out of 4" dense styrofoam - worked like a damn
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 12:10 PM   #308
Bus Crazy

Today I made my air compressor connection official by mounting my hose reel. Should have done this months ago but today is my day to work under the bus.

I think I mentioned elsewhere that I replaced out scooter. The Helix barfed up all it's oil and seized up, I decided to get something that fits the bus better instead of taking into it again. We got a Genuine Buddy 125 and I added front and rear racks and moved the top case from the Helix over. The size and weight difference are substantial, but I won't be doing any multi state highway trips. The paint more it is matches our bus too!

Break time is over... More projects coming soon!Attachment 31048r9fbppdfxqn21.jpegIMG_20190320_195214.jpeg