Old 05-31-2016, 11:17 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Engine: C8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 36,500
Our TC2000 Journey

I decided to share our project here to both chronicle the progress, as well as to have a place to refer back to if I forget something. We may be setting the record for the longest (time wise) build thread...this will be a 5 to 7 year project. Our goal is to have our home ready when Angie and I hit 62.

This will be a very ambitious and complicated build. Our goal is to have a bus that looks like a motor coach on the outside, but is a 300+ sq. ft. self contained home on the inside.

The Bus: A 1996 72 passenger Blue Bird TC2000RE with the 8.3 Cummins and the MD-3060 Allison.

Layout: It will get a 2' lift and 3 slide outs. A large floor leveling 12'x4', a 8'x2 1/2' slide out opposite the large one, and a 4'x2' slide out kitchen.

Power: I have already acquired enough solar cells to build the panels that I believe will give me 35+ amps of charging current in full sun. The real score is that I bought a WhisperGen PPS-16 with just 78 hours on it....
...This is a stirling cycle co-generation power plant that produces 70 amps of 12 volt charge as well as 18000 btu's of heat on 1 1/2 pints of diesel an hour. It is also about as noisy as a refrigerator.

Heat: Hydronic with wood backup.

Water: I will get into detail in time, but I plan on a closed loop grey water system with a total of 6 stages of filtration and UV disinfectant. This will allow the use of 25 gal. a day for showering and appliances. I also will have a rain collection system for water replenishing. I will have a similar filtration system for drinking water.

Ok, back to the present . I was lucky in that when I bought the bus, the previous owner had already pulled the seats and removed the side paneling...

...Oh looky, RUST . Oh well,it is what it is. 8 sanding wheels, 4 cut off wheels, 9 cans of Iron Armor's Rust Restorer, and around 30 hours later...

Next weekend I'll lay down roll on bed liner.

Thats all I got for now.

Casey
CaseyBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:21 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Howdy Casey...and Welcome! --- Does indeed sound like an ambitious build, but it also sounds like you have a well thought through plan. Gonna be fun to watch this one come together. The Stirling Cycle unit (aka; Flux Capacitor) is especially interesting. I'm guessing you didn't come across it at a garage sale.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 11:19 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Tango said: "Gonna be fun to watch this one come together. The Stirling Cycle unit (aka; Flux Capacitor) is especially interesting. I'm guessing you didn't come across it at a garage sale."

Actually not far off from a yard sale...craigslist. The guy I bought it from paid $24k plus installation for the unit in 2008, and against his mechanics recommendation had it installed in a power boat. It was total overkill. Over 8 years it ran 78 hours. He decided to pull it to make room in the berth, and he listed it on craigslist. Since very few people have a clue as to what it is, it had been posted for over a month when I ran across the ad. He sold it to me for $1000 . He was actually happier that a stirling cycle fanboy was getting it than he was selling it. This is hands down the best deal of my life, and the whole power scheme was modified to accommodate it...I was originally designing a 24 Volt system.

Casey
Old 06-01-2016, 11:27 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
OUT-FREAKIN-STANDING!

Congrats on the deal of the century. Those units have a great rep for running forever. For a while there, I thought you must be a gazillionaire since they typically cost several times what any of us pay for our buses.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 11:39 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Tango Said: " For a while there, I thought you must be a gazillionaire since they typically cost several times what any of us pay for our buses."

A gazillionaire I most definitely am not, just lucky enough to get a true gazillionair's table scraps before it hit the floor .

"Flux Capacitor" rolls off the tongue a little easier than "stirling cycle co-generation power unit", and it's not to far off the mark technology wise.

Casey
Old 06-06-2016, 09:03 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Hello all, hope everybody had a good weekend. I spent mine wrapping up (almost) my floor prep. The first thing I did was realize that the dirty scuz surrounding the rust that I assumed I could scrub off was in fact dirty scuz on the top of zinc corrosion .
So back to the grinder and sand wheel...

...the little shiny squares running up the floor are pieces of HVAC aluminum tape over all the holes that caused the rust in the first place. I then scrubbed down the floor with straight white vinegar and got busy with the roll on bedliner...

The last thing I need to do is to go back and drizzle some bedliner in the small nail and screw holes. At that point I think I can call my quest to kill the rust on the floor, now and in the future, complete .