Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2017, 09:22 AM   #1

Paint -exterior and interior-

Can I wash my bus then use a primer instead of sanding it? Or is there a product I can wash it with that would take off some of the finish? My husband did some work to his truck and ordered a one step paint to match from NAPA and it blended it perfectly. I guess it's usually a 3 step process. I was thinking of ordering gallons of that and using a sprayer. After close inspection with some rust starting that I'll need to sand and do some repair work to, I'm wondering if I should just use rustoleum paint or is that is going to look really terrible.

Also, painting the inside of the bus: I guess I'll need a white metal paint. Is there anything I need to know before slapping some on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daynadrury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 09:27 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Any kind of paint work requires proper prep. If the finish is in good shape, you can usually get by with a thorough wash down using a "liquid sandpaper" type product and a scuff pad. You must remove any surface glaze, wax or dirt to get paint to adhere. If the finish is rough, it really needs a light sanding. In either case, any and all rust must be taken care of.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 12:56 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

exterior should be sanded with something like 400 wet paper at least.. or barring that.. scotchbrite pads. is a good idea to remove all rust and primer, however primer isnt totally necessary.. i would NOT use rustoleum, but acrylic enamel which u can get from an automotive paint store. in fact, find one of those businesses, and ask the person at the counter what preperation and primers, reducers and the inexpensive enamels and they will help u with everything.
i have painted many cars for resale by just running over the exterior with scotcbrite pad and just shooting some industrial enamel.
the inside, i might use rustoleum..
also you can go online like places such as eastwood.com, or paintforcars, and read how to do the painting..u should get air compressor, paint gun, etc.... harbor frieght also has website...