Old 05-24-2005, 06:03 PM   #51
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: ThomasBuilt
Chassis: International Harvester S-1700
Engine: 9L IHC V-8 Diesel 180HP
Rated Cap: 60
Tub and lavatory finished

Got the tub and lavatory finished (mostly) except for installation. There are pictures of them http://www.skoolie.net/gallery2/Plumbing in the plumbing gallery. The sink was a breeze, and came out really well. I hope my soon-to-be-ex-wife doesn't miss her 8 quart stainless steel mixing bowl... LOL Just kidding, I got it at Target.

I am reasonably pleased with the way they turned out. Now, if I can just get the toilet built so I don't have to drive up to Wal-Mart to use the bathroom....
Eric von Kleist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 09:21 PM   #52
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH S1723
Engine: IH V345 Gas V8
Rated Cap: 66
Hey! The cooper was making a barrel not a bath tub, no insult there! I admire your creativity. The sink looks great, too. Now the toilet, eh? I hope yer soon-to-be-ex hid her double boiler!

All kidding aside, I think you've done an amazing job considering the circumstances!
Old 05-24-2005, 11:55 PM   #53
Bus Nut

Looks great, I really like the sink. You sure are good at fiberglassing. That last time I used fiberglass I filled in the holes in an old hot tub shell for a garden pond. Luckly pond water is nice and green and you cannot see the crappy looking patches I did.
busone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 06:00 PM   #54
Bus Nut

Time drags on...

Geez! This plumbing is killing me. It's still not complete. It's taking forever, and that's compounded by the fact that I have to go over to mybabymamma's house to cut stuff, then schlep it all 15 miles across town to work on it. Grrrr. I pretty much have the water supply lines all plumbed and connected, and I have the drain lines ready to extend from the sink, tub, and kitchen sink, but I have to get under the bus and mount my gray water tank...after I assemble it. Then I have to plumb all the lines. Plus I have to run a urine drain from the composting toilet's urine diverter (which I have yet to construct) to the gray water line. Maybe tomorrow...... I have all the pieces for the composting toilet's cabinet cut, but I need to install them, and I have to drill the holes by hand so as not to make a racket. Then I have to cut a vent hole and install a dryer vent for the vent fan that I got at Radio Shack.

So I'm still running to Wal-Mart to take a dump. They say Wal-Mart is "your source for cheap plastic crap".... Well, I'm giving back!
Old 05-31-2005, 12:19 PM   #55
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 370
Rated Cap: 44
Lookin nice! I love the whole theme. Makes me want to attempt plumming in my bus... ok, maybe not. but its looking really cool. Keep up the postings

Plotting the next project now. Looking for a clean diesel pusher with low rust/miles. Identical plans with plumming and biodiesel added :)
dammitAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 05:46 PM   #56
Bus Nut

Composting Toilet and Plumbing

The cabinet for the composting toilet is almost complete. I have the components cut out, and am in the middle of installing them (had to drive 15 miles to cut out a part I forgot -- and take a shower). The design is working out extremely well. I'm scared at how well it is going. It probably means that it won't work at all. I'm using plastic lawn edging and 5 gallon buckets, and all the components are assembling pretty flawlessly. It's more than I can describe in a short post, but I'm posting some pictures in the Plumbing folder in the Paradigm Shift gallery. I sure hope it works!

Gotta cut some plywood, bathe, and run!
Old 06-03-2005, 12:14 AM   #57
Bus Nut

Still Swimming with Chains

It's SLOOOOWLY coming together....

Plumbing: all I have left to do is hook the drains to the holding tank. YAY!

Holding Tank: need to drill a vent hole. Got tank constructed today, and hung from the bottom of the bus next to the propshaft. It took a while to hang. I started with 3/8" all thread, but my pieces were too short, the angles sucked, and it was a real hassle. I ended up putting in eye bolts and using 1/2" braided nylon rope to hang the tank. It's wedged in amongst other things, so it does not swing or move up and down. May need to install some anti-chafe hardware at some contact locations, but for now, it's DONE.

Toilet: need to plumb the "pee-line", and make some kind of cutout shape to locate the bucket under the seat. Seat is installed, and it sits quite comfy! I have company coming tomorrow, so I'm putting off using it until I have the place to myself for a while to get accustomed to the operation of it.

Misc: I got a small folding table today at the thrift store. I think it was a table for putting over your lap on a couch, as the legs are only about 9" tall. Maybe a TV table for kids to use on the floor. I'm going to use it for a coffee table of sorts with my new cheap Wal-Mart clearance $7.00 imitation Persian rugs that I got for people to sit on. I'm going with a no-hard-furniture, sit on the floor on carpet, kind of middle-eastern thing for now.
Old 06-04-2005, 12:48 PM   #58
Bus Nut

Progress Update

Plumbing: 99.99% DONE! Hallelujah! I only have to hook up the urine line from the composting toilet to the drain system. I haven't tested the water supply lines yet because I had my first company yesterday just after I made the last few connections, and I didn't want to be fiddling around with leaks while they were visiting. I'm going to test that this afternoon.

Composting Toilet: Still have to install the urine excluder (rectangular motor oil funnel and CPVC fittings) in the toilet bucket. The fan creates a very strong draft through the space under the toilet seat, strong enough to bend a lighter flame 90 degrees from vertical from an inch away, and the fan noise is hardly noticeable when the toilet is all closed up. The little fan has a 48dB sound rating, but encased in the toilet cabinet, you can barely hear it at all. It blows a steady stream of air out the dryer vent on the back of the bus, and that's just perfect.

Misc: The little TV table works great! My brothers and a couple of their friends passed through town yesterday and stopped by to visit. We all sat around the table on my clearance Wal-Mart oriental rugs and had some McFood and chips and dip (I made a lovely Guacamole, thank you very much). The sitting on the floor thing is really pretty nice. Your eyes are down below the level of the windows, and it gives you a sense of privacy (plus it makes the bus seem taller -- LOL). The carpets roll up and stow pretty easily, and are reasonably comfy. I may get some firm foam carpet padding to glue to the bottoms of them, and put some cotton duck on that as a liner. I don't want to make them too fat to roll up conveniently, but a little bit of padding would make them extremely comfy.

I'm going to braid or plait some handles for the sliding doors out of jute twine. It's cheap, easily replaceable if soiled, and won't be a hard protrusion inton the central walkway that people could bump or snag.

I bought 5 yards of white drapery lining to get started on the curtains. I'm going to take mybabysmamma's sewing machine back to the bus and work on them there. Still going to try to use the seat vinyl for curtains, but want a white (reflective) surface on the back of the drapes to keep the heat out. Too much white on the bus, it seems, but it is SO good at cutting the heat down.

Going to start on covering the bathroom walls in weathered pallet material, and see if I can scrounge a 30" x 48" piece of plywood somewhere to use as the center of a stall door for the head. Sure would be nice not to have to spend any more $$$ on materials...
Old 06-09-2005, 12:47 PM   #59
Bus Nut

Progress report

...and another step, and another, and another....

I cobbled together a drain hose for my holding tank. It works okay. It's made of some agricultural/industrial quick release fittings and PVC fittings and 2" flat discharge line. The flat discharge line tends to kink and impede drainage, but it folds up into a nice small bundle, which sort of offsets the minor aggravation of working with the flat line. The quick release fittings are great, but the additional length of the fitting on the tank drain meant that I had to cut the drain loose from the tank and remount it at a different angle because it was sticking down too far toward the ground. On the whole, I'm pretty pleased.

Today I am scheduled to "stir the pot" in my composting toilet for the first time. I have to find a suitable instrument for stirring it. Preferably something non-stick! The toilet makes a good place to dump coffee grounds. That way they don't sit around in a garbage bag all soggy and making a mess, plus they will add moisture and "fluffage"a to the contents. Plus the smell of coffee grounds should mellow the litterbox smell at the vent, maybe. I need to find a local source of red wiggler earthworms, which like to feed on manure piles. Nightcrawlers don't care for them.

I hope to start on the curtains soon, but I'm having trouble finding a suitable material for them, having abandoned my plans to use the recycled seat coverings as shades. There would have been too much piecing together of material to use the seat coverings. It could certainly be done, but I need to get the curtains done quickly, and using "boughten" fabric will help in that regard -- a trade-off of money for time. I'm going to keep the seat covering material for other projects, covers for gear or tool bags. The hard parts about picking curtain material are the odd sizes of the windows, and trying to come up with something that won't be too overpowering in such a small space. Accounting for hems, etc., I need a piece about 27" or 28" tall by about 30" wide for each curtain, which means I need to get fabric that is 54" to 60" wide to do it economically. I still haven't settled on shade mechanism, either, but I'm thinking of a flat shade with pieces of pipe in hems at each end that hook into some kind of retainer. The shade could be rolled from either end, up or down, to allow for both ventilation and lighting depending on the conditions. I just want something SIMPLE.

I have cut most of the border pieces for holding down the siding on one side of the bathroom. It has a 3/8" by 1/2" rabbet that will hold the 3/8" x 1 1/2" strips of pallet material down against the plywood bulkheads. Hopefully it will all assemble as planned -- I measured and made templates for the pieces in the bus, and then cut pieces at another location, so no opportunity to fine-tune the fitting. Either I got it right or......it'll have to do!
Old 06-14-2005, 05:47 PM   #60
Bus Nut

Woo-hoo, head walls are done!

Head walls are done! Woo-hoo!

(But not the ceiling, or the swinging stall door with quarter moon cut-out, or the lavatory-shower walls....incremental progress.)

Is that an outhouse, or what?!?!?

I also got a minor project done today: putting carpet padding on the bottom of imitation oriental rugs that I'm using for seating.

You can't see it in the picture since it is on the bottom of the carpet, but it's a WHOLE lot better than just sitting on the carpet on top of the hard floor. It's comfy! And sitting on the floor gives you SO much headroom!