Old 06-15-2005, 07:50 PM   #61
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: ThomasBuilt
Chassis: International Harvester S-1700
Engine: 9L IHC V-8 Diesel 180HP
Rated Cap: 60
Good news, bad news.

The good news is that I got all the framing pieces cut for my wall paneling this afternoon. The bad news is:

my benchsaw motor burned up, apparently;

termites have taken up residence in the 3/8" plywood seat backs that I was going to use for wall panels, so now I have to dump them and buy new.

"Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?"
Eric von Kleist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 07:52 PM   #62
Bus Geek

Quote:
"Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?"

I love that quote!!!
Old 06-15-2005, 09:43 PM   #63
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH S1723
Engine: IH V345 Gas V8
Rated Cap: 66
That's a FAR-OUT house! Sorry to here about the termites and burned up motors, but other than that Mrs. Kennedy, what didja think of the limo ride?
Old 06-15-2005, 11:15 PM   #64
Bus Nut

I hate termites with a passion. You should see what they did to our old house. Next time I get a house I will be looking very close for the little bast@rds.
busone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 12:40 PM   #65
Bus Nut

House interior

Thanks! LOL! The steel wall panel in the picture with the pillows and rug will be covered soon. What I was working on with the benchsaw when it quit was the framing for the portion of the wall above the wiring chase. It will be kind of like wainscoating -- framed panel sections congruent with the window spacing. The framing will be stained like the wiring chase, but the panels will be covered with some upholstery fabric. I was going to put the upholstery fabric over the plywood that the termites got, but now I'm just going to put it on top of the 3/4" styrofoam that will go against the wall. You won't be able to see through the fabric, so the styrofoam won't show. If nobody bangs on the panels, it will probably look relatively neat and flat. Someday I can always go back and add some hard surface under the fabric and over the styrofoam.

I can't find 1/8" (or 1/4") Masonite/hardboard anywhere locally, but that's what my second choice was for the panels behind the fabric.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:58 PM   #66
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH S1723
Engine: IH V345 Gas V8
Rated Cap: 66
Check your nearest Lowe's - they usually have some inexpensive (less than $10 a sheet) of bathroom wall board. It's made of a highly compressed phenolic fiber material with a decorative (you can get printed or plain) coating on one side. It's highly resistant to water exposure, and very solid. Problem is you can't staple your material to it, you could use contact cement or something. As resourceful as you are, I'm sure you could figure out a way to attach it.
Old 06-16-2005, 05:19 PM   #67
Bus Nut

One step ahead...

Yep, been there, done that. Even went to a local salvage place, but their deals aren't too great -- and they don't have plywood. They did have some dog ugly paneling, though!

Problem is, for just $3.50/sheet more I can get 3/8" sheathing, which is what I wanted. The pieces I've already cut for framing are rabbeted to fit a 3/8" backing panel. I can get eight 27 3/4" x 16 3/4" panels out of a 4'x8' sheet. I need 11 panels. I think I'll just fork out the bread for the sheathing.

Just found some 1/4" hardwood plywood for $11.00/sheet. That's not too bad. Not great, but not too bad. Maybe I can use the leftovers as a top for my (yet to be constructed) dinette table. Oh well...

The benchsaw is not busted! YAY!! I took the motor apart to see if the brushes were A) the problem, and B) replaceable. Answer was A. Fine sawdust had impacted around one of the brushes and prevented it from making contact with the rotor. Woo-hoo! Plus I found out that there is a Delta (my benchsaw brand) factory parts center about 3 miles from mybabymamma's house. If I ever need parts, they're right around the corner. At least that only cost a morning's labor!

I just finished cutting all the framing pieces. Now I'm going to sand them before staining them.

Incremental progress.
Old 06-24-2005, 05:17 PM   #68
Bus Nut

Progress report 06/24/05

Draaagging... One project converging with another...

I got all but the last three wall panels in the forward (living) area installed. They look pretty doggone good! The carpentry is rather rudimentary, and was limited by the materials, but otherwise, I'm rather pleased with them. All the framing is cut from salvaged 2x4 industrial packaging material, which is why the framing pieces only run between the windows, instead of a long piece of framing that spans several windows: the boards I'm working with are a maximum of 42" long, and allowing for knots and splits, I'm lucky to get a good section long enough to span the 28 3/4" center to center on the windows.

That's what they look like. There are better shots of them in the album, but that one shows the window post uprights installed (where the glare isn't distorting the picture). Eventually the wiring chase just visible at the top of the picture will be covered by a 4" wide strip of stained plywood that will complete the "framing in" of the windows. There is 3/4" of aluminum window frame extending beyond the edge of the window post uprights, but the posts themselves are covered, which should cut some heat loss/gain at that point.

So, anyway, I got down to the last three panels, the three in the dinette area. As I was getting ready to cover them, I realized that vinyl would make a more sensible wall covering in the dinette than fabric. Fortunately I still had a bit of the old bus seat covers lying around, and I am using them in the dinette area. They look reasonably good. Originally I had planned to use them in the entire forward area, but I think that would have made things way too dark.

So...I was getting ready to mount the dinette panels when I realized that now would be the appropriate time to construct a dinette table and mounting hardware. Doh! I have come up with a plan for a dinette table that will convert to a bed, and it will also fold in half (kind of like a drop leaf table) and move over toward the wall so that it only extends halfway across the dining area, thus leaving half of each seat unobstructed -- and giving some additional moving-around space in the dinette area. If it works, it'll be nice. If not...back to the legal pad!

No additional progress on other fronts, but as soon as I get this dinette and wall panel situation done, I'm going to finish up the lavatory/shower area.
Old 07-03-2005, 04:21 PM   #69
Bus Nut

Progress Report 07/03/05

infinitely incremental progress...

The dinette table-bed is turning out to be a real project of its own. I did manage to get the wall panels covered with bus seat vinyl in the dinette area, and they do look pretty good. I'm glad I didn't cover all of the panels in the forward area with that, though, because the overall effect definitely would have been too dark.

A folding table is not a simple thing to make. Mine's nearing completion, but it hasn't been easy. The most frustrating part of the project is that the table's carpentry work is just not up to the quality that I wanted. I ended up using but joints in the framing wood on the edges of the table, and they aren't perfect. Plus, the two layer plywood top ended up being twisted out of flat by about 1/8" over its length, which added to the problems. The design of the mounting cleats has required constant tinkering and modification.

All that said, however, I think it will be serviceable.

Next project: covering the shower area walls with corrugated sheet steel roofing. Shouldn't take long......

Oh, and the composting toilet is working extremely well so far. I have one five gallon bucket about 2/3 full of .....what appears to be good rich garden soil (but isn't actually)! Still no offensive odors from it, either inside (where there is ZERO odor from it) or outside, where there is a noticeable odor near the vent, but it's not quite "offensive"...just "odd").
Old 07-09-2005, 12:22 PM   #70
Bus Nut

Table is done! Yippee!!

The table is finished! Yippee! It works great! I used the belt sander to make it smooth - not perfectly flat, but pretty darn close, at least on the plywood surfaces. It is plenty big for seating four, and folds up to the wall to seat two with plenty of room. When seating two, there is actually more per person dining space than with four: with two to a side (four people) each person has 1/2 of 38" for a place setting, but with one to a side (two people), the wide side of the folding table is 24" wide, which is considerably bigger than the 19" available per person when seating four. I haven't converted it into a bed yet, because other projects are demanding attention (and I don't have any cushions to cover the bed yet, anyway), but I'm sure it will work. It is quite sturdy. The adjustable leg system works great and looks very interesting from a design standpoint. There is plenty of legroom under the table, and you can sit in any configuration without bumping your knees on the table leg, and without your feet hitting the foot of the table leg. Other than the quality of the carpentry work, I am very pleased with this table. As the farmer said in the movie "Babe", "that'll do, Pig".

I installed the corrugated steel roofing on one wall of the shower lavatory area, and that went pretty smoothly. I had some problems with my measuring technique in cutting the sheet metal, but other than that it was a quick job. It looks pretty nice. Definitely a unique wall covering! I need to finish that area (lavatory/shower) so I can get on to some other things.

I also got all of the wall (not including ceiling) framing done in the front area of the bus. The last part of that project was to cover the wiring channel above the windows, which I did with a strip of 3/8" plywood and some wood strips to hold it off the wall. It looks quite nice now that it's all complete. The ceiling framing will just consist of some very thin (1/8") strips of wood wide enough to cover the screw lines where that join the ceiling panels. I will steam bend the strips to fit the roof, and then laminate three layers (or maybe just two) to cover the bolts. Kind of a wooden beam look is what I'm after.

I forgot my cellphone when I came over to mybabbymamma's house today to use the computer (and mow her lawn), so I can't post any pictures right now, but I will post some in the next few days.

Soon I get to start working on blinds for the windows. That will mean no more 13 gallon (kitchen garbage bag) drapery!