Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2004, 06:06 PM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: ThomasBuilt
Chassis: International Harvester S-1700
Engine: 9L IHC V-8 Diesel 180HP
Rated Cap: 60
Just the way I like them....

Quote:
I still recommend keeping conversions simple until you are sure that the skoolie is a keeper for you. They are noisey, vibrate your teeth out, uncomfortable to drive, and very tiring to manuever. These are usually the reasons people don't tend to keep them.
Throw in "no cargo space", and you describe Jeeps to a tee.

Eric von Kleist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:19 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Wayne Lifeguard
Chassis: Navistar International
Engine: 7.3 Power Stroker Diesel
Rated Cap: 24
Re: Picacho Project

Look at the bar of options at the top of the posting screen.

To post a link to an external photo so that it appears, lick the button that says "Img" that creates a start and an end point:

Put the address of the photo between the two middle brackets.

To upload a photo go to the bottom of the text box and see where it say "Upload attachment". Click on that tab. Browse to the image you want to upload on your computer. Click the "Add the file" button. After it uploads, figure out where you want the image to appear in the post. Make a space for it and click on the spot. You will see the little blinking vertical line that shows your place. Go down below the text box and click on the "place inline" button and the image will be inserted where the blinking line was located.
Attached Thumbnails
bar.JPG  
edfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:51 AM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15

Sweet old Ford! Congrats on the find and keeping the old girl rollin'. And the ramp install is fantastic. I raced dirt bikes for many years (long ago, on a planet far, far away) and your rig would have been a dream come true. Enjoy and do keep us posted on any updates.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:00 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

Dirt bikes? and in my camper? Oh yea! What a great find. Makes me want to head for Baja! Oh Well! Glad to see a new lease on life for an old bus and keep the pics rolling!
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:05 PM   #25
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford B-600
Engine: Ford 370 Propane
Rated Cap: 48

Someone say dirt bike??? Look what I happened to find...

...haven't ridden it yet, can barely kick it hard enough to start it, but when I can it's the meanest sounding bike I have ever seen!
Attached Thumbnails
photo.JPG  
jkindt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:15 AM   #26
Bus Geek

Ya...pretty badass lookin scooter! But I have no idea what it is even. My racing days were in the era of Husqvarnas, Maicos, Bultacos & CZ's. All dual rear shocks with maybe five inches of travel. But I did have the chance to run with Malcolm Smith and his buddy Harvey Mushman briefly at a couple ISDT qualifiers at Fort Hood here in Texas. Occasionally, the "good ol' days" really were pretty damned good.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:38 PM   #27
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango
Ya...pretty badass lookin scooter! But I have no idea what it is even. My racing days were in the era of Husqvarnas, Maicos, Bultacos & CZ's. All dual rear shocks with maybe five inches of travel. But I did have the chance to run with Malcolm Smith and his buddy Harvey Mushman briefly at a couple ISDT qualifiers at Fort Hood here in Texas. Occasionally, the "good ol' days" really were pretty damned good.
Sounds like we were riding at about the same time. I did a lot of motocross and enduro racing back then and got out just as the monoshockers were coming out. I drool when I see the suspension travel on the new machines.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:50 PM   #28
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford B-600
Engine: Ford 370 Propane
Rated Cap: 48

It's a KX500! One of the biggest bikes ever made. 500cc TWO STROKE!!! I am only a little scared to ride it. And if that's not enough, the previous owner changed out almost every single part to aftermarket performance parts. Too bad they quit making the big bore two strokes.
jkindt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:32 PM   #29
Bus Geek

"A normally aspirated, gasoline burning two-cycle engine will produce 40% more power than a normally aspirated, gasoline burning 4-cycle engine."

That was the finding of the FIM (Fédération Internationale de Motocyclisme) when their scientists tried to establish a basis for handicapping two-stroke racing bikes because they'd been winning every race in the world for over a decade. My 373cc Yamaha produced approximately 135 hp at the wheel. And it weighed in at just over 200 pounds. Love them ring-dings!!!
Old 06-09-2012, 01:25 AM   #30
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: ElDorado
Chassis: Chevy P30
Engine: 7.4 liter 454 Chevy
Rated Cap: 24

I used to own a 1975 Kawasaki H2 750cc two stroke bike I modded and ported to 805cc.
That bike outran everything I went against on the track and drag strip street heats.
The real eye opener was when it went "on pipe" it would ALWAYS pull a wheelie just by accelerating. I almost lost my sister one time when it did that.
I also did a "superman" at 125 mph when the center cylinder seized at that speed and I was looking at the speedo cluster from above with both hands still just barely on the bars. I was able to squeeze the clutch and freewheel the bike from the seized engine; but I did a real bad tank slapper coming down and had a squeaky voice ( not ) for a day after impacting a sensitive part of the anatomy against steel gas tank.
Bullwhacker007 is offline   Reply With Quote