Old 09-30-2007, 08:26 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Re: Pics of Bus

cool cool! Sounds like burger king...have it your way.

congrats on the new baby
Old 09-30-2007, 10:02 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 International diesel
Rated Cap: 60

Looks good to me! Gutting the stuff that's in there now will probably be easier than gutting seats. I had a helluva time getting my seats out! Also, get some rustoleum hammered paint on those wheels! For $10, you feel like you made a lot of progress working on your bus!

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...DSC02426-1.jpg
KC10Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 06:46 PM   #3
Bus Nut

All I did was take my bus to the car wash. A car wash big enough that I could fit my bus inside. I just power washed the wheels. I brought them home and used regular masking tape to mask off the tire. I used the 2" wide stuff. Also, don't waste your money on that blue painters tape. That stuff SUCKS. I gave the wheels a quick wipe down with a damp rag when I got home. Then, I used two cans of the hammered paint and painted the wheels after I was sure they were dry. Piece of cake. It is an aerosol paint. You can buy it at Wal-Mart. It's good stuff. A little over $5 a can I think.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:02 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC10Chief
, don't waste your money on that blue painters tape. That stuff SUCKS.
there is a time and place for everything..

the blue tape is less tacky than regular masking tape and would not be appropriate for tires. however, blue masking tape is designed to be used over top of newly painted surfaces. Because it's less sticky than the white stuff, it's less likely to damage the new paint underneath when you peel it off.

if you were to paint flames on your skoolie, blue tape would be much superior to the white stuff. Another thing about blue tape, and most higher end masking tape in general, is that it comes in different degrees of tackyness so that you can choose the correct product for your particular application.

i don't mind using regular masking tape on windows, or tires in this instance, but nearly everything else gets blue tape when i paint my skoolies.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:40 AM   #5
Bus Nut

I rolled on Dupont Imron on my bus. It is definitely nice paint. I have a friend that is a sales rep for Dupont and he hooked me up with 5 gallons of black Imron paint. If you have to buy Imron, it's over $100 a gallon. I have been trying to score a couple gallons of yellow for my flames from my friend, but he says that stuff is $700, yes, seven hundred dollars a gallon! I doubt he can get me any of that, so I'm just going to use the Rustoleum professional and spray it on. Also, if you do use Imron, you need a respirator, especially if you spray it on. The fumes can make you very sick and even kill you. If you spray it on and it gets in your lungs, kiss your butt goodbye. The Rustoleum will be cheaper and safer. Also, I think it's a good idea to paint the bus first thing, especially if you have neighbors. My neighbors seemed a bit repulsed by my bus until I got it painted. Now they like it!
Old 10-03-2007, 10:06 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Wow! You didn't waste any time! Did you spray it on?
Old 10-05-2007, 11:04 PM   #7
Bus Nut

One great thing I've noticed about my bus, is that when I do have to spend money on it, it's not much.... so far. I still have to buy electrical and plumbing stuff. But when I'm broke or don't want to spend any money, there is ALWAYS stuff that can be done without spending money. For instance, I spent yesterday and today gutting the useless wiring. I took the panel off where all of the switches are for the heaters and what not. I had switches for things that weren't even installed on the bus. I took all of the side ceiling panels off and removed all of the wiring. I have a LOT of speaker wire now that will come in handy. I also removed the rear heater. That was a huge pain in the rear, but my new shop vac made it a lot easier. I cut the antifreeze lines going to the heater and just sucked up any antifreeze as it came out. It ended up being about 3 gallons. Anyways, there's always stuff that can be done without spending money! BTW, I just bought one of those 16 gallon Craftsman Shop Vac's. It's 6HP and will suck up just about anything. It's pretty sweet and very handy for school bus conversion work!
Old 10-05-2007, 11:36 PM   #8
Bus Nut

After dealing with my heater today, I would go ahead and remove it. Especially if you have one of the antifreeze heaters. They could start leaking or something after your conversion is done and cause problems I think. My heater was under a seat, but not bolted to it. The heater was screwed to the floor. If your shop vac is only a gallon, buy or borrow a bigger one. I got a LOT of antifreeze just out of the lines! I did save the lines for future use. Probably in my veggie oil conversion. Also, I took the heater apart and kept the two 12V fans and the radiator. I'm thinking that I might cut the fins off the radiator and use the coils for my in tank veggie oil heater. Anyways, as for heating your bus, there are a lot better ways to do it. I'd cut that heater out and never look back.

My bus also has a heater up by the driver which is also heated with antifreeze off the same lines. I made a little U out of some copper pipe fittings. I cut both lines and routed them back into each other so that the front heater will still work. Eventually, I will probably remove the front heater as well. Maybe not. I haven't decided yet. But for this winter, it will still work.

For painting the rims, don't bother with the cardboars. Just get some wide masking tape. 2" wide or so. Just start taping around the rim and once you have it taped off, tape the rest of the tire. It doesn't take that much tape.

As for doing searches, I say just ask questions. I hate people who say "do a search". I want my own answers to MY questions. People don't post on this forum enough to worry about repeat questions. I say if you have a general question, then ask away. I'll answer if I have any input.

I've been in the Air Force for almost 10 years. I'll hit 10 in December. I started out as an aircraft mechanic and now I'm a flight engineer on the AWACS. If you don't know what a flight engineer is, I sit behind the co-pilot and have a big huge panel. I control all of the engines, the fuel, hydraulics, pneumatics, electric generators, weight and balance, etc. I also compute all of the flight data and handle in flight emergencies. I do pretty much everything but steer. I am one of those people who absolutely loves his job. I can't imagine doing anything else. I love the people, the places I get to go, the things I get to see and do, the lifestyle I am able to provide for my family etc. I look forward to going to work. I don't know how many people can say that. I'm a lucky guy.
Old 10-06-2007, 03:31 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Are you still in the Air Force? Anyways, everybody seems to get a kick out of my bus. It's a good, fun thing to do and I can afford it! I'm glad I pulled my heater. I had given thought to leaving it in there, but it would have just been a big pain in the rear. I'm going to install a propane furnace AND electric heaters in my bus. I'll use the propane when I'm boondocking or driving down the road, and use the electric heaters when I'm parked somewhere and having to pay to plug in. My camping seems to be mostly boondocking, but the electric heaters are cheap and we go to traditional campgrounds several times a year.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:55 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Yes, I have been to Greece a few times! As for my teeth, I just went to Wal-Mart and walked around until I found something that would work. I used a white plastic 3-ring binder and cut it up. I tried using some silicone to put them on, but they all fell off eventually. Then I used a hot glue gun and half of them fell off. Then I cleaned up all that mess and used epoxy glue. They're on there forever now!