Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Do you think the Floor plan is good?
YES 6 75.00%
NO 2 25.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-19-2010, 09:30 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford B-600
Engine: Ford 370 Propane
Rated Cap: 48
Re: PLEASE LEAVE FEEDBACK TOYHAULER/CAMPER PLANNING

For some reason I have never been able to vote on these things. It just says 'form invalid'. The floorplan leaves a lot of unused area, and not a lot of sleeping area. With 40 feet you should not have to sleep in the garage. Also try moving the bathroom to the port side of the bus, it will allow easier plumbing to the tank and dump valves which are usually on the port side. Of course if you like the layout it is totally up to you, it is your bus to do what you like with. That is the greatest benefit of a skoolie!!!

jkindt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 05:02 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward Senator
Chassis: International
Engine: DTA360

Welcome to skoolie. Your floor plans are looking good. I thought I would share a couple of things I considered when laying out our bus as they may be of interest. I kept the plumbing on the opposite side of the diesel tank as that would allow for better weight distribution and the diesel takes up quite a bit of room underneath.

The wheel wells also cause a bit of a problem. My bus is about 40' long and the center of the rear wheels is 10' from the back which is about where your dinette is. You might want to switch the closet with the dinette so you don't loose foot room and it would also put the dinettes together.

The bathroom caused me all kinds of headaches to lay out. Corner showers are efficient but very expensive. I went with a standard shower. Also doors take up a lot of space so mine doesn't have any other than in the hallway leading to the head. The good news bus conversion has a lay out similar to yours and has the head and the shower facing each other in a space I believe is about 32" wide and 60" long (interior space) which is super efficient and remains private, however it lacks a sink. You might also want to consider an outside wash down for the bikes which is cheap and easy to do so long as it's planned in advance (I missed this one myself)

I like your garage/bed area which is like all the toy haulers on the market. One thing to consider is the bumper height on our bus is about 36" which makes entry a bit more challenging than a trailer.
Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:07 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford B-600
Engine: Ford 370 Propane
Rated Cap: 48

Your front room area is bigger than my entire bus!
jkindt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 06:05 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward Senator
Chassis: International
Engine: DTA360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbikeguy2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
You're showing 30' on the 1st 2 areas....and then the beds....another 8-9 feet? That's nearly 40' of interior space I think you'll find you won't have nearly the wasted space.....because you won't have nearly the space

Smitty
well the bus I have does have 40' of interior space so im good on that front

My bus is 40' overall, but I only have about 32' of useable interior space as the dog house, entry steps and driver's area take up about 8'. This will vary by manufacturer.
Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:04 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

I would second Smitty's suggestion--put the plumbing on the other side of the bus. School buses have that frame rail under the floor and that makes running drain lines across the bus a bit of a problem. I guess you could just run your dump line under the rails (because driver side dump is the standard. I live in the north so I worry about freeze ups and want those pipes short.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote